Playing SDSU, NDSU, and USD a good idea?

Tell me this, if we miss the Rose Bowl because of a tie breaker, what is our record likely to be? What kind of a bowl are we likely to be going to?

Nobody is losing there job in this scenario. It'll be a huge step up for this program regardless. It's a very small risk, with a very small penalty. You're blowing it way out of proportion.

If you take a look at the last 2 times they almost made the Rose Bowl (2003,1999) it's because there would have been a 4-way tie at the top with 6-2 conference records. In 2003 there were also 2 teams with 5-3 conference records. If we had a similar situation now, it'd be the difference between the Rose Bowl and the Champs/Insight Bowl because practically every team would jump over us by their perceived fan support.

The worst part about the whole situation is that it's the first tiebreaker after head to head, above overall record. If the Big Ten teams could come to an agreement about everyone scheduling an FCS opponent each year I'd be all for it for the above mentioned reasons that the other posters gave, but until that time I can't justify it.

We play them because it pays the Title IX bills, that was the purpose of the 12th game as stated by the NCAA. If we played a bigger school we would need to offer an away game which would not pay our Title IX bills. Simple.

The winner of the Big Ten Championship goes to the Rose Bowl by right. No other team has any claim to that bowl. Period.

As long as the tickets are 10 bucks

That is the most that I would pay for this game. Those games in the dome were awful. It was bad enough that I had to sit by fans from NoDak with oversized sweatshirts, wrangler jeans, and double chins. I thought that we were through playing these teams.
At least the BO would blow with the wind since we are outside. And please, no sweatshirts made up with the Bison and Gopher helmets claiming this is a border battle with the date and the place.
Playing them in basketball, hockey, wrestling, and baseball is fine but not football.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nearly everyone played a IAA team

so for one more time, read my lips, the arguments about the tiebreaker for the Rose Bowl are largely moot.

Only Michigan and Michigan State didn't play a IAA team and Michigan played a IAA in 2007, remember? Everyone else in the B10 played a FCS team, so 9/11 teams. Almost all IA teams today play a IAA team. Get over it.

so for one more time, read my lips, the arguments about the tiebreaker for the Rose Bowl are largely moot. Only Michigan and Michigan State didn't play a IAA team and Michigan played a IAA in 2007, remember? Everyone else in the B10 played a FCS team, so 9/11 teams. Almost all IA teams today play a IAA team. Get over it.

For now, it doesn't matter. It may not matter for many years.

But if and when a team loses out on the Rose Bowl tiebreaker because they scheduled a I-AA team, the uproar will be huge.

The rule will probably get changed after that, but it will be too late for the team that gets screwed.

We play them because it pays the Title IX bills, that was the purpose of the 12th game as stated by the NCAA. If we played a bigger school we would need to offer an away game which would not pay our Title IX bills. Simple.

How does USC and other Pac Ten teams deal with this? They don't play FCS opponents, and generally have a 6 home, 6 road schedule.

The worst part of playing the Dakota teams is that they have sofar been a lot better than the average FCS team that most schools are playing. The SEC and ACC pad their schedules with games against Wofford and VMI. Meanwhile, NDSU fields a team in 2006 and 2007 that probably could have competed for a title in a soft conference like the Big East.

Appalacian State and the Citadel have been similar versions of this in the Southeast.

How does USC and other Pac Ten teams deal with this? They don't play FCS opponents, and generally have a 6 home, 6 road schedule.

Arizona State played Northern Arizona
Oregon played Idaho State in 2007
Washington played Portland State

The real question is should we play FCS teams at all. I don't think it should be every year, but it's just a fact of life in college football these days that now and then we will play an FCS team, and that's not likely to change.

If we are going to play FCS teams, then I would prefer to play the teams from the region rather than bringing in a team that has no local interest.

There are multiple reasons to schedule fcs schools, especially those in close proximity.

Financially, a flat payout of $100-250,000 helps both the visiting program and it allows the U to maximize the profits from a sellout. This will be particulaly true in a new stadium.

The paydays of $100,000-$200,000 are over it looks like. The Bison will get $350,000 for their trip down in 2011.

SDSU gets $300,000 next year and "more" in 2015.

I guess I'm alright with the 1-AA's. As long as there are legit opponents for the other 3 OOC games.

Hopefully the tie breakers get changed. I bet all conferences look at them after what happened in the big 12.

If we are going to play FCS teams, and we are, I guess I would rather see some local kids lining up against us. I appreciate the trap factor, in having a bunch of kids who might have wanted to play for the Big Ten/Gophers, but to me it makes it more interesting. If I have to see us potentially struggle against "lower" or "mid-major" talent let it be from this area. I don't want to see the Lumberjacks of Austin TX, the Hampton Pirates, or the Albany Great Danes over the Sioux or Bison. Outside of the Big Sky, Great West and the Missouri Valley conferences there are few D1 FCS teams that we in the Twin Cities would recognize outside of the Ivy league and they will never happen.

The real trap is in our wishy washy fan base and the fact that there will be 30% Bison fans in TCF unless attitudes of Gopher Nation improve radically. There will be tremendous scalping opportunities and as long as the NoDak faithful are more faithful than the locals, they'll get in, probably in droves. Not to mention that the corporate boxes, seats, and suites will be flooded with the multitudes of western neighbors who have realized that the Dakota Lands are no place to live and moved to the Cities and work for the corporations that populate those premium seats, a problem that will also be a reality with Iowa and Wisconsin. Credit Maturi for getting some Pac10 teams back in the mix, and I'll keep pulling for the return of the Nebraska-Minnesota, one of the greatest rivalries in the first century of college ball!

Looking at the sites of other Big Ten opponents FCS scheduling is not going away, as others have pointed out it is a way to have a home game slot every year without the reciprocity we would need with a FBS aligned team.

The real trap is in our wishy washy fan base and the fact that there will be 30% Bison fans in TCF unless attitudes of Gopher Nation improve radically. There will be tremendous scalping opportunities and as long as the NoDak faithful are more faithful than the locals, they'll get in, probably in droves. Not to mention that the corporate boxes, seats, and suites will be flooded with the multitudes of western neighbors who have realized that the Dakota Lands are no place to live and moved to the Cities and work for the corporations that populate those premium seats, a problem that will also be a reality with Iowa and Wisconsin.

Looking at the sites of other Big Ten opponents FCS scheduling is not going away, as others have pointed out it is a way to have a home game slot every year without the reciprocity we would need with a FBS aligned team.

I guess I'm one of those fans as I would certainly be tempted to sell my SDSU or NDSU tickets if I could sell them at 2-3x face value and cover a couple other games. I'd only be missing a game against an FCS team.

I agree that there will be more IA/WI fans in the building than we think - at least 10k fans of each will get in and continue to be almost as loud as Gopher fans.

Finally, if you want/need 7 home games FCS is a way of life.

The winner of the Big Ten Championship goes to the Rose Bowl by right. No other team has any claim to that bowl. Period.

That's why its called a "tie-breaker". Having the season end with Co-Big 10 champs is not some oddity that never happens.

FYI: It would appear Michigan isn't too concerned about the tiebreaker

issue and the Rose Bowl. They just completed their 2009 schedule by playing a IAA/FCS team in October, and not a very good one. At least MN is playing some solid FCS teams.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=515023

Of course, MI is probably 2-3 years away from competing for a B10 title and a Rose Bowl birth anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Not in favor of playing ANY FCS teams, period. I don't think that helps us in any way.

Am OK scheduling one new FBS doormat each year, as the first home game -- get that first game experience under our belts, see what we're all about -- but then playing at least two solid BCS teams on the non-conference schedule.

This one game per year is to pay the Title IX bills because it is always a home game for us, thus we play a team that is happy to play here under that one condition. It has nothing to do with anything else.

Top Bottom