PJ Fleck now is the second most tenured coach in the Big Ten West.

Just in time to take over Northwestern. Great!

Kidding of course.

Assuming the best that PJ is here for a while...and assuming that Captain Kirk gets to leave on his own terms over the next 2-3 years...Coach Fleck will be the Dean of the Defunct West once this all comes to fruition.

Good for us methinks...

Tom Allen is probably gone after this year and possibly Day. Even Franklin has high expectations this year and if not met might jump for another job. Fleck could be near the top after this season.

Keep PJ Fleck and his entire organization here for the long haul! 🙏

Why would he want to move? He has built a unique legacy here.

Keep PJ Fleck and his entire organization here for the long haul! 🙏

Why would he want to move? He has built a unique legacy here.
If the good legacy is lifting the WI curse that is true; if it is competing in the BIG championship game it is a mediocre legacy.

I don't believe Minnesota will ever be competing for BIG Championships.
If I felt this way, I wouldn’t be a season ticket holder, and I certainly wouldn’t be on Gopherhole. Especially after multiple flirtations with winning the division in recent years.

I felt the Gophers competed for a B1G championship in 1999, 2003, 2014, 2019, 2021, and 2022.

Thus the longest tenured coach to not win the West?
That was already true.
Currently in the west:
Rhule - never won the west
Fickell - never won the west
Beilema - never won the west, even at wisconsin
Purdue guy - never won the west
Fleck - never won the west

Fitz - had won it but now gone
Ferentz - won the west

If the good legacy is lifting the WI curse that is true; if it is competing in the BIG championship game it is a mediocre legacy.
We have seen the Gophers become a competitive team and they are not done yet aiming for and attaining new achievements. This is a legacy absent for awhile.

He said unique. But when compared to the legacies of Chryst, Leonhard, Anderson I'd say good.

If I felt this way, I wouldn’t be a season ticket holder, and I certainly wouldn’t be on Gopherhole. Especially after multiple flirtations with winning the division in recent years.

I felt the Gophers competed for a B1G championship in 1999, 2003, 2014, 2019, 2021, and 2022.
"We" just need to get over the hump.

Chryst had a pretty remarkable B10 record and did lead teams to Orange Bowl and Cotton Bowl wins. And a trip to the Rose Bowl. If PJ did that we would name the stadium after him. Wisconsin fired Chryst.
Fleck took WMU to the Orange Bowl. Won the Outback Bowl. Has highest gpa in history of MN football. And his players stay out of trouble. I stand by my statement.

Fleck took WMU to the Orange Bowl. Won the Outback Bowl. Has highest gpa in history of MN football. And his players stay out of trouble. I stand by my statement.
"The Wisconsin Badgers' football program finished as the top academic program in the nation this past season. The Badgers ranked No. 1 of all Football Bowl Subdivision schools in Academic Progress Rate (APR), scoring a 996."

That's how much the coaching matters in this regard. The Badgers didn't have a coach half the year and were #1. You can stand by your statement, but back it up with actual facts that support your argument, not hurt it. Saying Fleck took WMU to the Orange Bowl is wrong, as he took them to the Cotton Bowl and lost to Chryst. Outback Bowl is great, but not a NY6 bowl, as I assume that's what DC Gopher is referencing.

"The Wisconsin Badgers' football program finished as the top academic program in the nation this past season. The Badgers ranked No. 1 of all Football Bowl Subdivision schools in Academic Progress Rate (APR), scoring a 996."

That's how much the coaching matters in this regard. The Badgers didn't have a coach half the year and were #1. You can stand by your statement, but back it up with actual facts that support your argument, not hurt it. Saying Fleck took WMU to the Orange Bowl is wrong, as he took them to the Cotton Bowl and lost to Chryst. Outback Bowl is great, but not a NY6 bowl, as I assume that's what DC Gopher is referencing.
Ok facts. The Outback Bowl was on Jan 1, 2020. That would be New Year's Day. And only you mentioned NY6.

Taking a MAC school to the Cotton Bowl is a much bigger achievement than Wisky making it there. Wrong game stated but you get my point.

Coaching sets the culture of the program, to which good grades are a part of. And has been done year in and year out with Fleck. If it compares to Chryst, then it supports my statement. I didn't say better, I said good.

And I don't give two F's about Wi, who is coaching, or what they've accomplished other than their record vs. Gophers.

Last edited:

All this shows is how low the expectations that the Gopher administration and fans have. If Fleck had Days record he would have a lifetime contract with a 20ft bronze statue outside of Huntington Bank Stadium. For 5.5 million he has yet to win a title in the B division of the Big. Put Fleck in Columbus with his BIG record and he would be lucky to be in a rowboat when he gets run out of town on a rail.

All this shows is how low the expectations that the Gopher administration and fans have. If Fleck had Days record he would have a lifetime contract with a 20ft bronze statue outside of Huntington Bank Stadium. For 5.5 million he has yet to win a title in the B division of the Big. Put Fleck in Columbus with his BIG record and he would be lucky to be in a rowboat when he gets run out of town on a rail.
Wow good point. I never realized Ohio state and Minnesota had different levels of expectations 😂

You serious Clark ?

Good point on payment. Since fleck makes more than Iowa coach, Fitzgerald, and Chryst he should win the division

Top Bottom