Pitino promoted this as a better shooting team, but they rank 245th nationally in three-point accuracy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Too many flaws prevent the Gophers from being consistent. Pitino promoted this as a better shooting team, but they rank 245th nationally in three-point accuracy. They’re making only 28.5% of their three-point attempts in Big Ten games, dead last in the conference.

Go Gophers!!

On paper it should have been. But Gabe has been downright poor by his standards, and one factor Pitino cited was how good a shooter Ihnen was, but he's gotten such little playing time. With Oturu getting so much defensive attention, easy wide-open perimeter shots should be there. The lack of cohesiveness on offense has been frustrating. Seems like without Coffey slashing to the basket and creating offense out of nothing, there's nothing.

crazy how bad they have been....im still stunned by how poorly gabe has shot this year
and its not because of a lack of opportunity...crazy how many wide open shots he has missed

crazy how bad they have been....im still stunned by how poorly gabe has shot this year
and its not because of a lack of opportunity...crazy how many wide open shots he has missed
It feels like Demir has not even been close to making a 3 in weeks.
As to Gabe, it seems that even his makes now seem to rattle in versus the clean swishes of last year.

It feels like Demir has not even been close to making a 3 in weeks.
As to Gabe, it seems that even his makes now seem to rattle in versus the clean swishes of last year.
ha. looked it up. Demir hasn't hit a 3 in a game since Jan. 15th. He is 0 for his last 15

I can't understand how carr and oturo are not on one side of the court and everybody else on the other side working an inside game outside game the way they like to double-team oturo, how could they do that with carr over there?

Paralysis by analysis. He's over thinking on the offensive end. But, d@mn the kid plays tough defense.

Paralysis by analysis. He's over thinking on the offensive end. But, d@mn the kid plays tough defense.
Was thinking the same thing. Gabe plays great D, but can't hit the broad side of a barn this year.

Still really like Gabe. Brings it on the defensive side of the ball. He's a better shooter than he's shown this year, but probably not as good of a shooter as his percentages from last year would suggest.

The offense is actually better, defense the same.
I agree with this. With the exception of the end of the home Iowa game and most of the road Iowa game, we are actually playing better. Just not making open shots. It’s funny how, when you make open shots at a good clip, the narrative is how great the team played. The converse is true. However, it is entirely possible to “play well” and lose because you simply cannot convert on well-conceived scoring chances. That is this year’s team. Sort of like a hockey game where you out-shoot the opponent and keep the play in the offensive end but just can’t get the puck past the goalie. People will say “We outplayed them, but couldn’t score any goals”.

This team plays good defense, takes care of the ball, rebounds better than I thought they would, but misses shots. Can’t win without putting the ball through the stupid wire hoop. Simple as that (sort of).

I agree with this. With the exception of the end of the home Iowa game and most of the road Iowa game, we are actually playing better. Just not making open shots. It’s funny how, when you make open shots at a good clip, the narrative is how great the team played. The converse is true. However, it is entirely possible to “play well” and lose because you simply cannot convert on well-conceived scoring chances. That is this year’s team. Sort of like a hockey game where you out-shoot the opponent and keep the play in the offensive end but just can’t get the puck past the goalie. People will say “We outplayed them, but couldn’t score any goals”.

This team plays good defense, takes care of the ball, rebounds better than I thought they would, but misses shots. Can’t win without putting the ball through the stupid wire hoop. Simple as that (sort of).
Good defense is usually a nod to the coaching staff, is it not?

Good defense is usually a nod to the coaching staff, is it not?
Yes because it requires a huge amount of time devoted to practice in a limited amount available. Plus it is super hard work on the players and something a great many coaches do not know how to make it a point of pride. It is not a easy sell because it is super hard work to be low and wide and connected, always being back, always blocking out.

Right. We are getting open looks this year. The ball movement is much better this year. What is not happening is those open looks aren't falling.
Looking at the roster and who is getting playing time, the Gophers have to be one of the youngest teams in the B1G. Carr, Kalsheur and Oturu are sophomores. Willis is a Jr. Demir is in his first year here (probably, in my opinion, should be losing playing time to Ihnen, another freshman). Greenlee, Ihnen and Williams are all freshmen. The only senior with experience here is Hurt, who is not a B1G level athlete.

I would be thrilled if Oturu stayed another year (I think the past few games show that he could use another year. But, the NBA drafts on potential, not necessarily game readiness.). Keep this core group around for another year while adding another solid recruiting class and you have a good team.

As for Pitino and the Gophers blowing a 9 point lead against Iowa, the more I think on it the more I note that Michigan State blew a lead at home. Notre Dame came back last night. Sometimes implosions happen. I am believing that Pitino and the team learn from this and next years squad comes back strong. This year isn't lost, but next year could be special.

tenor.gif

Might as well start hurt now...ok on defense... and heads up player

Let’s go with a shooter’s lineup tonight! No more clanking allowed!

C: Hurt
PF: Ihnen
SF: Gabe
SG: Rudrud
PG: Carr

Drive and dish for threes! Get to the line and make free throws! From what I’ve seen in warmups, Brady might be our best shooter. Can the Conroy kid shoot? Put him out there!

On paper it should have been. But Gabe has been downright poor by his standards, and one factor Pitino cited was how good a shooter Ihnen was, but he's gotten such little playing time. With Oturu getting so much defensive attention, easy wide-open perimeter shots should be there. The lack of cohesiveness on offense has been frustrating. Seems like without Coffey slashing to the basket and creating offense out of nothing, there's nothing.
That's the narrative of the Pitino era: looks good on paper, but falls apart in real life.

Top Bottom