Pitino Era All-Time Starting Five and Sixth Man

When the mood lightens I will have to have a post asking for who would be on this team going back to 1970 or so. We will have to pick a coach as well. Large field to pick from.

Clem or Musselman for coach. That's a tough one. I'd lean Musselman.

PG: Mason
SG: Carr
SF: Coffey
PF: Murphy
C: Oturu

6th Man: Kalscheur or Akeem Springs

Isaiah Washington....Most overhyped/disappointing recruit?
Probably. Dorsey was probably rated higher. Man that kid had a serious motor but unfortunately serious character issues at that time.

The 4 biggest recruits he didn't get much out of:
Curry -injuries, had really nice upside, great kid
Washington - fit
Martin - left right away
Dorsey- problems

The same Dupree McBrayer who didn't even shoot 40% lifetime as a gopher? Gabe all day. We thought last year was an atrocious shooting year for him, that would have been McBrayers 2nd highest FG% of his career. Love McBrayer but was not a good shooter.

Not exactly correct. Look at their stats side by side. shooting wise, basically the same. If it wasnt for McBrayers terrible freshman 3pt shooting season, his 3pt percentage is actually a little bit better.

standar shooting %
Dupree .378
Gabe .376

Martin never even made it to the first game, so to me he was the worst signing/waste of time.

but it is a long list to chose from.

Not true! He appeared in 7 games and averaged 5.4 minutes per game before leaving. I was at a game (against Western Carolina) where he was taken out of a game and appeared visibly pissed. He left right after that.

C'mon, if you have a computer, you can look these things up before declaring them. Try to raise the informational quality of the board, all right!

When the mood lightens I will have to have a post asking for who would be on this team going back to 1970 or so. We will have to pick a coach as well. Large field to pick from.
Coach: Musselman - Easy pick! He'd sell his own Grandmother's kidney for a win! Signed Behagen when the rest of the B1G black-balled him from the league.

Center - Mychal Thompson - Here for his accomplishments not his transgressions. He sold tickets for $$$, which is an NCAA no no.

- Reggie Lynch - Apparently not a ladies man.

PF - Mitch Lee - One of the lead instigators in the Madison Incident which cost us Jim Dutcher. Styled his champagne glass haircut after being cleared of rape charges.

SF - Royce White - Never got to play. Suspected of stealing a laptop. Shoplifting from the MOA.

SG - Bobby Jackson - Not sure anyone can say for sure if that Community College transcript of his was accurate at all. But we are pretty sure he didn't write all his papers. Right Jan?

PG - Daqueen McNeil - He got in trouble for domestic assault while on the team and then moved on to bigger and worse.

Those are just off the top of my head. Jan Gangelhoff is the tutor for this team.

Not true! He appeared in 7 games and averaged 5.4 minutes per game before leaving. I was at a game (against Western Carolina) where he was taken out of a game and appeared visibly pissed. He left right after that.

C'mon, if you have a computer, you can look these things up before declaring them. Try to raise the informational quality of the board, all right!
UpNorthKid already straightened my out on Mr. Martin. Although in a nicer and more kindly way.

While your at it, why don't you give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it.

You'd seriously not have Mason or Coffey in the top 6/7 players of Pitino's era???

Depends how you view the term "top 6/7 players." In terms of playing a lot of minutes and putting up big counting numbers, yes. Mathieu was a more efficient shooter than Mason and I thought the team played better with Mathieu at the point. Mason had a pretty mediocre career .505 true shooting percentage. The team had an overall record (not just Big Ten) of 35-37 in games where Mason started as point guard. I think we could have done better. I would take Austin Hollins over Amir Coffey every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Coffey's highs were higher but his lows were lower and, unlike Austin, Coffey had very little team leadership ability.

Although he was only here one year I'd consider throwing in Akeem Springs as the 6th man. Could defend, score, and all-around good leader and glue guy.

Very true although he was a starter for the latter part of the year.

Depends how you view the term "top 6/7 players." In terms of playing a lot of minutes and putting up big counting numbers, yes. Mathieu was a more efficient shooter than Mason and I thought the team played better with Mathieu at the point. Mason had a pretty mediocre career .505 true shooting percentage. The team had an overall record (not just Big Ten) of 35-37 in games where Mason started as point guard. I think we could have done better. I would take Austin Hollins over Amir Coffey every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Coffey's highs were higher but his lows were lower and, unlike Austin, Coffey had very little team leadership ability.
Your right on Austin. He was a glue guy.

But he couldn't strap you on his back and carry you to the promised land like Coffey.

If you are looking for two way players wouldn't you go with:

PG- Dre Hollins
SG- Austin Hollins
SF- Coffey
PF- Murphy
C- Oturu

Probably the best combination for offense/defense in the Pitino era and still gives you a superman for the end of the game scenario. Probably a better mix of egos too.

But it excludes 2 of the most talented players in Carr and Mason.

Last edited:

Your right on Austin. He was a glue guy.

But he couldn't strap you on his back and carry you to the promised land like Coffey.

Well, the two best players we had on that dimension were Carr and Oturu. Coffey could also brick and turnover you out of a game. Besides, you never, ever want 5 guys on a team who want to strap the team on their backs.

Not exactly correct. Look at their stats side by side. shooting wise, basically the same. If it wasnt for McBrayers terrible freshman 3pt shooting season, his 3pt percentage is actually a little bit better.

standar shooting %
Dupree .378
Gabe .376
What isn't correct? I said Gabe's FG% last year would have been McBrayers 2nd best shooting season, which is true. 44.8>37.6% (Gabes '19/'20 season)>32%/35.7%/35.1. We have the least amount of guys that can get to the rim as we have ever had this year. Gabe doesn't have the luxuries McBrayer had either.

McBrayer shot:1614631158415.png

and Gabe's stats are:
1614631179570.png

Attachments

• 1614631150529.png
    1614631150529.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 0

It’s especially disappointing when considering the fine numbers that McKinley Wright IV has put up at Colorado. I know hindsight is 20/20, but still, Jelly was a massive dud.
Yep hindsight...Washington was player of the year in the NYC metro area. It wasn't by accident and that isn't small town competition. I don't fault Pitino for recruiting him as a lot of other teams were too.

** I feel Austin was a much better team player, team leader, and a more efficient player than Coffey

Ridiculous, I liked Austin but he wasn't CLOSE to the level of player Amir was.

Top Bottom