Pitino: Always wanted to represent Minnesota the right way on a daily basis with class and integrity. Thank you for a special 8 years.

As I've said, it was time to move on from Pitino and no tears need to be shed for the man, but this photo makes me wish things would have worked out differently-obviously for the program, as that's where my allegiance lies, but also for a coach who seems to place a lot of value in being a good Dad.

Last edited:

I wouldn't have expected anything less from Richard. As much as those who lacked more intelligent thoughts on here liked to call him nicknames because he was his father's son, I thought he was one of the more likeable people we have had as a coach. Honest, self-deprecating and a great father. Ran a clean program as well. I wish him excellence in the future!

I wouldn't have expected anything less from Richard. As much as those who lacked more intelligent thoughts on here liked to call him nicknames because he was his father's son, I thought he was one of the more likeable people we have had as a coach. Honest, self-deprecating and a great father. Ran a clean program as well. I wish him excellence in the future!

I agree. I didn't think he was a great coach but I always liked the guy. I hope he is successful elsewhere.

I realize that winning is the priority and, often times, the only thing that matters. On boards like this, I figure that the following thoughts will make me chum for the piranhas.

The U of M had no choice but to fire Pitino as he hadn't won enough nor generated consistent interest in the program, which impacted the bottom line. The idiots clamoring about the cancellation of Olympic sports clearly didn't do their math in order to understand the impact that a continual (and growing) loss in basketball revenue would have on the athletics department.

But, to write more specifically to this thread, the men's bball team has had a good graduation rate and GPA in recent years. It also hasn't faced significant legal issues after Daquien McNeil's situation and it hasn't been penalized for students stealing items or cheating on homework nor institutionally-formalized cheating. Overall, the men's basketball team has done very well, which is significant and reflective of the leadership at the U. This includes the coaches, grad assistants, academic advisors, and various other academic staff and administrators within the Athletics Department (and beyond). Again, I realize that winning is the bottom line determinant but there are a lot of things that go into being successful in collegiate athletics. For that, I'm grateful to everyone who kept the U moving forward in a positive way over the past eight years. This includes a "Thank You" to Coach Pitino.

I realize that winning is the priority and, often times, the only thing that matters. On boards like this, I figure that the following thoughts will make me chum for the piranhas.

The U of M had no choice but to fire Pitino as he hadn't won enough nor generated consistent interest in the program, which impacted the bottom line. The idiots clamoring about the cancellation of Olympic sports clearly didn't do their math in order to understand the impact that a continual (and growing) loss in basketball revenue would have on the athletics department.

But, to write more specifically to this thread, the men's bball team has had a good graduation rate and GPA in recent years. It also hasn't faced significant legal issues after Daquien McNeil's situation and it hasn't been penalized for students stealing items or cheating on homework nor institutionally-formalized cheating. Overall, the men's basketball team has done very well, which is significant and reflective of the leadership at the U. This includes the coaches, grad assistants, academic advisors, and various other academic staff and administrators within the Athletics Department (and beyond). Again, I realize that winning is the bottom line determinant but there are a lot of things that go into being successful in collegiate athletics. For that, I'm grateful to everyone who kept the U moving forward in a positive way over the past eight years. This includes a "Thank You" to Coach Pitino.
This attitude right here is what gets you passed up by St Thomas in basketball. Never settle for mediocrity.

I understand it was time for a change, but Pitino was a classy guy. Always loved his interviews. Seems like a guy that would be fun to hang out with.

I hope that the next coach they hire run a clean program like Richard Pitino did. But, someone who can recruit and win.

This hire is going to define the Gophers Basketball for years to come. Are we going to retrogress to mediocrity? Will we have a program that wins, but is tarnished by integrity and off-field issues? Or, are we going to have our cake and eat it too? It is not a question whether you can recruit in state players, it is a question whether we can hire a dynamic coach that can win regardless of where the recruits come from while simultaneously develop players to be upstanding human beings. Winning will take care of in state interest.

But, first you must win and bring the team to tournament relevance. We need to get Williams Arena rocking again like back in the day...

If he doesn't land a coaching gig, I vote for him kicking Dakitch out of the commentator booth. Richard would be great as a commentator.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, Richard. Thanks for nothing.

Top Bottom