Pistol Pete Perspective

Thanks for posting. I wish I was old enough to have watched him play. I’ve watched many many highlights of him, truly a legend and we’ve never seen another player like him.

Go Pistol Pete!!

Look at where we're at with having to be super mindful of playing time and roster status just to try and retain a player you recruited and signed and now wrap your head around the fact that a guy like Maravich was prohibited from taking the floor as a freshman.

Something not mentioned is Antoine Davis took around 200 less shots in his career (so far?) than Maravich did.

Ol’ Pistol took over 38 shots per game.

And there was NO shot clock, so teams could ‘hold’ the ball if they wanted. This record is simply Nutty!! What a player! You need to watch the Doc on You Tube. Great, but very sad. Died at approx 42yrs.

Something not mentioned is Antoine Davis took around 200 less shots in his career (so far?) than Maravich did.

Didn't hurt that his dad was the coach and was pimping out his son over and above the team.
His life after basketball is a great story of overcoming the demons of his youth.

Didn't hurt that his dad was the coach and was pimping out his son over and above the team.
His life after basketball is a great story of overcoming the demons of his youth.

Pete’s dad was not ideal. And I’m not downplaying his scoring prowess. But 38 shots per game is insanity. 10 more than MJ’s most in an nba season (where he averaged 37)

He averaged 1 point per shot though, and that was pre 3 pt rule. With the 3 pt rule he would have made substantially more per shot.

He averaged 1 point per shot though, and that was pre 3 pt rule. With the 3 pt rule he would have made substantially more per shot.

Is 1pt per shot good?

Antoine Davis averages 13.8 points on 10.5 2P FGAs and he isn’t a good 2pt shooter. You have to factor in free throws of course. And if all of Davis’ shots counted as 2s he’d still average more than 1pt per shot. 23.4 points on 22.2 shots.

I saw Maravich play a number of games on TV.

but the all-timer - Feb 21, 1970. LSU vs Kentucky. Maravich scored 64 pts - Dan Issel had 51 for Kentucky. Kentucky won the game 121-105.

BTW - someone supposedly went through all of Maravich's college games and estimated that - if the 3-point line had been around - Maravich would have averaged 57 pts a game in college with an average of 12 made 3pointers per game.

but it was more than the scoring - it was the flair. the hair, the floppy socks, the no-look passes.
He was the most exciting player of his era. every game was a show.

Top Bottom