PiPress: As Devoe emerges as U of M star, little brother Cory watches, waits

BleedGopher

Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_14267245

Among top prep recruits, Cory Joseph keeping tabs on U
By Marcus R. Fuller

Devoe Joseph wasn't the University of Minnesota's starting point guard until last week when Al Nolen was ruled academically ineligible.

But the sophomore from Canada looked like he should have been in that role a lot sooner after finishing with 16 points, seven assists and only one turnover in a 65-64 loss Saturday to No. 6 Michigan State at Williams Arena.

It certainly seems as if the Gophers (12-7, 3-4 Big Ten), who are hoping to snap a three-game losing streak tonight against Northwestern (14-5, 3-4) at home, have found their floor leader for the rest of this season. Joseph clearly needs to continue to play at a high level for them to have a shot at making the NCAA tournament.

But if he does, what happens next season?

Nolen's future status is unclear. Joseph will have two years left. And Minnesota's top recruiting target is Joseph's brother, Cory, one of the top high school senior point guards in the nation.

The Joseph brothers don't appear to be concerned. For one, they played together and dominated opposing teams sharing ball-handling duties for two years at Pickering High School in Ontario. And the younger Joseph is all about supporting his older brother, even though he wants to play for a school that is the best fit for him.

"I've been playing the point all my life," said Cory, ranked the No. 7 senior and No. 3 point guard in the 2010 class by Rivals.com. "But if he was playing the point, then I would play the two. If I play the point, then he would play two. Whoever gets the ball brings it up the court, so it really doesn't affect my thoughts on the program."

The younger Joseph called his brother after he watched the Michigan State loss from Las Vegas, where he attends Findlay Prep, a national high school power.

"He said it was a tough loss, but to just keep it up," Devoe Joseph said. "He said we looked good. He said to keep up the hard work, and that we were going to take it to the next level."

Devoe doesn't know if he will be the starting point guard next season. He's not even sure he wants to, because his natural position is shooting guard. But Minnesota coach Tubby Smith needs him in that role right now, especially with freshman Justin Cobbs lacking experience. And he's making the most of it.

After going 0 of 11 shooting in three straight games, Devoe has 35 points in the past two games combined, including a season-high 19 points with two jump shots that sent the game into overtime in a loss at Indiana.

Devoe had trouble matching up defensively against Indiana's Verdell Jones III and Michigan State's Kalin Lucas, who had 24 and 22 points, respectively, against the Gophers. But while he isn't as capable as Nolen locking down opposing guards, he gives the team a much different offensive dynamic.

"I believe that Devoe is bringing a lot of energy to the team and a different look to the point-guard position," sophomore big man Ralph Sampson III said. "It changes the whole face of the way we play right now."

Devoe said he helped teach Cory how to be a better shooter, but he's picking up tips from him on how to run a team and play defense.

"My brother is a real poised point guard," said Devoe, who is averaging nine points and three assists a game this season. "He takes care of the ball, and he takes his time. He's real solid. I watch his games and see what he does well. If it's an area I need to work on, then I try to improve on it, too."

The younger Joseph's national reputation is as high as anyone in the 2010 class right now, especially after he led Findlay with 23 points in a victory last week over No. 1 St. Patrick (N.J.) and Duke-bound guard Kyrie Irving on ESPNU.

He's tracking the success of all five of the schools on his final list: Minnesota, Texas, Villanova, Connecticut and Nevada-Las Vegas. It's obviously easier to follow the Gophers. He has enjoyed seeing his brother finally shine as a starter in Smith's system, but Cory said he wouldn't let that sway his decision, which he might not make until after his high school season.

"My brother having fun there makes me feel good," he said. "But at the same time, I'm thinking personally. If he does bad or good there, it doesn't necessarily mean I will."

Go Gophers!!

Good read, landing Cory would be absolutely huge for the future of this program!

Best case scenario, Cory commits and Royce and Trevor are back for next season.....now that is something to get excited about!

Good read, landing Cory would be absolutely huge for the future of this program!

Best case scenario, Cory commits and Royce and Trevor are back for next season.....now that is something to get excited about!

corey, trevor, royce, sampson and williams. hows that for a star power lineup

"...He said to keep up the hard work, and that we were going to take it to the next level."

"We" are going to take it to the next level. Am I reading too much into this? Freudian slip?

"...He said to keep up the hard work, and that we were going to take it to the next level."

"We" are going to take it to the next level. Am I reading too much into this? Freudian slip?

I think Devoe meant himself and the other current Gophers.

But you never know.

Ulmer

It would be huge if little brother were to attend, with Trevor and Royce hopefully hanging around it would be more talent on the court than we`ve ever had. With Westbrooks departure there`s even a chance someone could get a pass off to an open Hoff on the wing.

Devoe Joseph wasn't the University of Minnesota's starting point guard until last week when Al Nolen was ruled academically ineligible.

But the sophomore from Canada looked like he should have been in that role a lot sooner after finishing with 16 points, seven assists and only one turnover in a 65-64 loss Saturday to No. 6 Michigan State at Williams Arena.

a) Devoe is more of a shooting guard – the fact he’s now (temporarily?... Al may be back soon) playing most of his minutes at the point can be a bad thing. Kids can get frustrated very quickly if they feel they aren’t being played ‘the right way’. I don’t think Devoe is that type of a kid, but I’d rather see him getting his minutes at shooting guard.

b) While he played a good game, Lucas schooled him when it mattered. Leading by 8 with 6 minutes to play, the Gophers wound up losing the game while Devoe went 0-2 and scored 0 points. His offensive abilities are a welcomed sight for this team, but he needs to be more aggressive at times.

c) The seven assists and one turnover were very impressive.

The younger Joseph's national reputation is as high as anyone in the 2010 class right now, especially after he led Findlay with 23 points in a victory last week over No. 1 St. Patrick (N.J.) and Duke-bound guard Kyrie Irving on ESPNU.

This is overstating it. Just a little, but its overstating. His national reputation is not "as high as anyone" in the 2010 class right now. Perhaps a top 15 guy, but not, say, top 5.

He's tracking the success of all five of the schools on his final list: Minnesota, Texas, Villanova, Connecticut and Nevada-Las Vegas. It's obviously easier to follow the Gophers. He has enjoyed seeing his brother finally shine as a starter in Smith's system, but Cory said he wouldn't let that sway his decision, which he might not make until after his high school season.

I’m hearing this: while Cory is still listing Minnesota and UNLV, it is really down to UCONN, Nova and Texas. I hope something changes and Cory decides to come to the U… there are a lot of angles to consider, but at the end of the day if you try to make too much sense of what a young kid is thinking, you’ll go insane.

Minn – Cory’s a great defensive player, but likes to get his on the offensive end as well. The Big Ten in general, and Minnesota especially, may not be appealing to a lot of stud guards.

UNLV – Was the last visit he took, seemingly as an after thought because he could take one more. Remote chance.

UCONN – Familiarity with the area, family, Big East basketball with a rich history… question marks would include Kemba Walker – NBA bound, and when? Calhoun’s future? Perhaps the biggest question, though, is Brandon Knight, for whom it really can be said has a national reputation as high as anyone in the 2010 class right now… he’s another point guard that has not committed. UCONN is on his list, however it appears he may be Kentucky-bound (Kentucky’s freshman PG John Wall will be done with college ball for good in a few months).

Texas – Two of Cory’s Canadian buddies, Tristan Thompson (2010) and Myck Kabongo (2011) have been hooked by the Horns already. Kabongo is a bit more of a pass first guy, but is also a point guard… however, he’s a year behind Cory and the two could hit the floor at the same time for the Horns. Besides Cory/Tristan, there are other Findlay Prep connections..

Villanova – Another Big East school, heavy into guard play. Attractive to a guy like Joseph.

If I was betting, my money would be on Texas or UCONN, but I could also see Villanova. Minnesota looks like unlikely and UNLV appears remote. But, things change.

a) Devoe is more of a shooting guard – the fact he’s now (temporarily?... Al may be back soon) playing most of his minutes at the point can be a bad thing. Kids can get frustrated very quickly if they feel they aren’t being played ‘the right way’. I don’t think Devoe is that type of a kid, but I’d rather see him getting his minutes at shooting guard.

b) While he played a good game, Lucas schooled him when it mattered. Leading by 8 with 6 minutes to play, the Gophers wound up losing the game while Devoe went 0-2 and scored 0 points. His offensive abilities are a welcomed sight for this team, but he needs to be more aggressive at times.

This is overstating it. Just a little, but its overstating. His national reputation is not "as high as anyone" in the 2010 class right now. Perhaps a top 15 guy, but not, say, top 5.

I’m hearing this: while Cory is still listing Minnesota and UNLV, it is really down to UCONN, Nova and Texas. I hope something changes and Cory decides to come to the U… there are a lot of angles to consider, but at the end of the day if you try to make too much sense of what a young kid is thinking, you’ll go insane.

Minn – Cory’s a great defensive player, but likes to get his on the offensive end as well. The Big Ten in general, and Minnesota especially, may not be appealing to a lot of stud guards.

UNLV – Was the last visit he took, seemingly as an after thought because he could take one more. Remote chance.

UCONN – Familiarity with the area, family, Big East basketball with a rich history… question marks would include Kemba Walker – NBA bound, and when? Calhoun’s future? Perhaps the biggest question, though, is Brandon Knight, for whom it really can be said has a national reputation as high as anyone in the 2010 class right now… he’s another point guard that has not committed. UCONN is on his list, however it appears he may be Kentucky-bound (Kentucky’s freshman PG John Wall will be done with college ball for good in a few months).

Texas – Two of Cory’s Canadian buddies, Tristan Thompson (2010) and Myck Kabongo (2011) have been hooked by the Horns already. Kabongo is a bit more of a pass first guy, but is also a point guard… however, he’s a year behind Cory and the two could hit the floor at the same time for the Horns. Besides Cory/Tristan, there are other Findlay Prep connections..

Villanova – Another Big East school, heavy into guard play. Attractive to a guy like Joseph.

If I was betting, my money would be on Texas or UCONN, but I could also see Villanova. Minnesota looks like unlikely and UNLV appears remote. But, things change.

Good post, well done. I especially like how you mention a guy can go insane trying to figure out how a 18 year old kid thinks. I know you're a Marquette fan and I'll forever have a place in my heart for Al M.

gw

good post. I have a question for you.

What "family" connections does Cory have to UCONN?

I believe it all comes down to one thing for us. Does Cory want to play college hoops with his brother or do the other intangibles outweigh Devoe?

I sure hope we have Joseph & Joseph in our backcourt next fall.

The Josephs has an aunt who lives near the UConn campus, so that's the family connection. I personally doubt that Calhoun stays at UConn for long though, so that has to be a big part of the decision process. It's fairly likely that Calhoun won't be there next season, much less 2-3 years down the line. He's a pretty old guy, he's got health issues, and his contract expires after this season. You do the math.

I think he would be going to Texas for sure if not for how loaded the horns are at the guard positions, both now and future commits. Cory has friends there and loves the coaching staff.

UNLV has no shot.

Villanova is a very good program for a PG... they've got some great guards there already, but Cory would see the floor as a freshman and probably start by Junior year at the very latest. I wouldn't like our chances against them if not for the chance for Devoe to play with his brother. Not only would that be fun and good for both Devoe and Cory, but it would be something that the media could really sink their teeth into. The Joseph and Joseph backcourt for the next 2 seasons.

We offer him the best chance for starting as a freshman, as good of a chance (I think) of going deep into the tournament in the next few years, and the chance to play with his brother. The biggest strike against us IMO is the lack of NBA guards we have produced in the last decade versus Texas, Nova and UConn. If he's confident enough in his own ability, I think we're the best draw. If he thinks Tubby's system/Minnesota's defensive reputation will hurt his NBA chances, then he'll likely go elsewhere. UConn was nothing before Calhoun and it's impossible to know what will happen after him. I have to think he'd chose Texas or Nova over them.

I Think Cory Joseph Starts Anywhere He Goes

We offer him the best chance for starting as a freshman, as good of a chance (I think) of going deep into the tournament in the next few years, and the chance to play with his brother. The biggest strike against us IMO is the lack of NBA guards we have produced in the last decade versus Texas, Nova and UConn. If he's confident enough in his own ability, I think we're the best draw. If he thinks Tubby's system/Minnesota's defensive reputation will hurt his NBA chances, then he'll likely go elsewhere. UConn was nothing before Calhoun and it's impossible to know what will happen after him. I have to think he'd chose Texas or Nova over them.

I have no idea where he'll go but he'll start wherever it is - he's that good.

Top Bottom