Phil Miller blog: Kill's 'special team' looks like no fun; Michael Carter only member

I bet Michael Carter doesn't make that mistake again. Ouch.

I am not a fan of the public shaming of a player. I have no issue with the shirt, I kind of like the idea, but wearing it to a public practice seems a bit much. I think the vast majority of guys would be embarrassed enough to have to wear that shirt around their teammates, so putting them on display for the media seems a bit much.

I think it's hilarious. I don't care if he wins a game as long as he makes careless players wear a shirt that says "Minnesota Lopher" on it.

Coach Kill could be in a cult film. He works well as a character because he's clearly not trying to be a character, but succeeds at doing so anyway. He somehow manages to be low key, yet over-the-top; he seems like a real guy, but almost so real as to be unreal. I mean, who makes players wear a shirt that says "Minnesota Lopher" on it? It's impressive. I want him to do well so badly. He is a delightful man. I just hope he's as good at being a football coach as he is at being a character.

I keep hearing good things about Moses. It would have been easy for this kid to fold under the new coach and his weight issues, so I am happy to see him come in look in better shape (via MV's tweets) and throwing the ball well (via this website).

That said, I really don't want to ruin the open practices for everyone, so I will only comment on the things that I got from other sources. Does anyone have a narrower definition on what we can and we can't comment on pertaining to the practices?

I keep hearing good things about Moses. It would have been easy for this kid to fold under the new coach and his weight issues, so I am happy to see him come in look in better shape (via MV's tweets) and throwing the ball well (via this website).

That said, I really don't want to ruin the open practices for everyone, so I will only comment on the things that I got from other sources. Does anyone have a narrower definition on what we can and we can't comment on pertaining to the practices?

Bob--thanks for being conscientious. It is a rare sight sometimes on this site.

Does anyone have a narrower definition on what we can and we can't comment on pertaining to the practices?

They are not going to shut out the public for giving your own observations of the talent. IMO I think the issues will be commenting on what you hear. Don't be quoting coaches and players. Leave that to the media types.

What a great way to call out the players doing wrong...make them wear a shirt. Who would want to be called out all week for not being a team player. Love it Kill!!!!

I compared what Carter was doing to the punishment of Sisyphus. He was made to push a boulder up a hill, watch it roll down and push it up again. I was hoping Miller would use that in his blog.

I compared what Carter was doing to the punishment of Sisyphus. He was made to push a boulder up a hill, watch it roll down and push it up again. I was hoping Miller would use that in his blog.

More serious infractions warrant the "Prometheus Punishment".... I'm excited to see the Jerry Kill version of being tied to a rock and having a great bird eat ones liver over and over again.

Great question. I go this route; I don't comment on anything said on the practice field. I don't comment on plays or packages. Any comment about a spectacular play a specific player made does not include who got beat.

For example; John Doe made a great diving interception on a pass thrown to the wr on a deep out.

I never comment on negative plays or players unless I can spin it into a positive (see example above).

My position is we are invited guests so I keep it positive. You don't go to someones house as an invited dinner guest and complain publicly about the food tasting bad.

Most importantly if the media is there I leave it to them to report then comment afterwards. This should be easier this season because they can stay for the entire practice.

Hope this helps.

You don't go to someones house as an invited dinner guest and complain publicly about the food tasting bad.

Unless it's dinner at Maturi's house.

He cares about the steamed asparagus just as much as the prime rib. What a joke. Everyone knows that it is all about the meat.

I am not a fan of the public shaming of a player. I have no issue with the shirt, I kind of like the idea, but wearing it to a public practice seems a bit much. I think the vast majority of guys would be embarrassed enough to have to wear that shirt around their teammates, so putting them on display for the media seems a bit much.

First, I assume the ban on public comments on specific players applied to this topic as well. Second, while I share your general feelings on that topic, I will tell you that the Army had no compunctions what so ever on that topic, and for kids who don't get it, and I was one at 18, it clears up the mystery about personal responsibility really fast. While I doubt public shaming is the intent, immediate accountability and feedback is clearly the intent, the only alternative in this case would be to close practices. The good news it that it either works or does not work very quickly in most cases.

Finding out there are really unpleasant consequences for failing to do your job immediately works great for communication.

At least I have been informed that I can like kill cause he doesn't use gimmicks.

Top Bottom