Phil Miller blog: Can Gophers Run on Big Ten?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...EyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

It's easy to be skeptical of the statistics and the trends from a victory over Middle Tennessee State, especially when the Gophers' schedule includes five -- five! -- teams currently ranked 18th or high in the nation. The Blue Raiders have an excellent offense and a quick, capable defense, and they were a much better Opening Night opponent, particularly on their home field, than the Gophers are likely to get credit for. You could make a case that MTSU might be the second-best opponent that any of the nine Big Ten winners faced last week (I'd say UConn, which lost to Michigan, is probably the exception).

That said, the Gophers rushed for 287 yards in Murfreesboro, their most since piling up 306 against Miami of Ohio on Sept. 8, 2007. It's the first game of a new emphasis, a new commitment, to the ground game. And it came against the smallest defensive line -- MTSU averaged 249 pounds across the front, while Wisconsin, for instance, averages 279 -- the Gophers will face this year.

Begs a question, doesn't it? It's one thing to run against the Blue Raiders -- but what happens if you add 30 pounds or more to each defensive lineman? What happens when you play a Big Ten team (or USC, for that matter)?

We'll know soon enough. But the players responsible for those blocks, cuts and carries swear that the gameplan will work once Penn State or Iowa come to town.

"We definitely believe we can run against them. We feel like we can do it against anyone," center D.J. Burris said, and he pointed to evidence that he believes supports his case: Middle Tennessee began overloading its defense to stop the run -- and it didn't work.

"We were running against nine guys in the box at times, and we were still getting it done," Burris said. "It's a matter of execution."

That part is true, and the Gophers say by reducing the complexity of the playbook, they have had more time to perfect how they run each play.

"Running the football can be hard against air if you're not fundamentally sound," quarterback Adam Weber pointed out. "It's all about flow and confidence. If you keep on creating that confidence and you've got those five guys up front and the running backs all working together, you can run against anyone. You might not pick up five yards a pop, but you can have success."

Besides, the Gophers' offensive line, despite its problems a year ago, it big enough to compete with Big Ten defenses. And they're closer than ever, they keep saying. "You could definitely tell even in spring ball, that this offensive line really bonded," Burris said. "There were times when we'd look at each other in the huddle and say, 'C'mon, let's get this going.' We're playing for each other, and you really take more of an ownership when that's the case."

So get used to the earth-bound Gophers. They'll throw when they have to, but "we're going to want to establish the run first and foremost against all of our opponents," said offensive coordinator Jeff Horton, who does the play-calling. "We're going to give it the chance to be successful and not get away from it too quick. I'm sure there are some games where we'll keep pounding and pounding and we might only get two or three yards at a crack, but we'll keep at it. We don't want to get away from what we can do."

That said, Horton added, there may be a game where the Gophers throw 67 times instead of run that many, as they did against the Blue Raiders. It's a difficult balance, to avoid abandoning the run when it's not eating up yardage the way it did in Tennessee. "We've got to be steady with it. We can't get greedy, don't think we've got to get big chunks real quick, don't think the big plays are always out there," Horton said. "I tell them, 'Hey, let's just get four yards. We get four yards every play, we're going to be OK. And as the play-caller, I've got to stick to that."

Go Gophers!!

We won't have to wait until the Big Ten season starts. We'll find out on the 18th.

on the 18th the entire stadium will appear to be fans decked in maroon and gold. I'll select something with an M logo.

The big question for me is will we be able to sustain drives. Horton alludes to this. We may not always rack up four yards a carry. Then what? Can Weber execute the drive sustaining short pass that plagued him last year? He's great in the clutch going downfield, but what about third and five in the second quarter when we're trying to establish the game plan still?

To me this is the question who's answer will determine the difference between four wins and eight.

This is a valid concern. It troubles me more that every pass has to be perfect for one of our receivers to catch it also. Can our receivers make Weber look better by rolling with a pass thrown behind them, or put some pinkies together to catch a low pass? I'm not so sure yet. However I think Weber throws a good slant route pass, but not a very good crossing route pass. It must be a timing natural instinct thing.

Good point. We could have put MTSU away in the 2nd quarter if Weber's 3rd down passes hadn't been 5' behind the target. How many times in the Mason years did we lose a game because we couldn't get that key first down in the fourth quarter? Even with MB3 and Maroney we couldn't always just run for a first down when the defense could put 8-9 guys up on the LoS. We can maybe run on a team like MTSU even if they do stack the box, and against USD we should be able to call out our plays to them before the snap and still run it down their throats.

But that advantage disappears starting on 9/18. Then Weber has to perform. He doesn't have to win games for us this year singlehandedly if we can sustain a running game. But he has to at least be effective enough to keep defense's honest. And one downside to a methodical running attack is its hard to overcome a big deficit. If Weber throws a pick 6 like he did vs. Illinois last year we're in trouble against many of our upcoming opponents

Here's what I want to know: What play were we running over and over?

If we were running a zone scheme, then I'm a little bit excited. That would mean our line and backs were making dynamic adjustments on the fly and adapting as things showed themselves. This would also mean that our line has made a quantum leap forward.

Were they running zone? I don't think so, but I couldn't tell from my grainy laptop picture.

Does somebody actually know the answer to this question?

The sweet thing about an effective zone scheme is that you can basically have two plays (left and right) and just change the formation. When you throw in a center who can pull (Greg) you can build a world class offense from a grand total of two plays.

So why don't other teams put the zone in? It's really hard to coach well and really hard to execute well.

We will be more able to run the ball than we were last year. Part of the dire predictions for this season was based on the assumption that the offense would be truly awful. I think we have at least seen that the defense will not be awful.

Here's what I want to know: What play were we running over and over?

If we were running a zone scheme, then I'm a little bit excited. That would mean our line and backs were making dynamic adjustments on the fly and adapting as things showed themselves. This would also mean that our line has made a quantum leap forward.

Were they running zone? I don't think so, but I couldn't tell from my grainy laptop picture.

Does somebody actually know the answer to this question?

The sweet thing about an effective zone scheme is that you can basically have two plays (left and right) and just change the formation. When you throw in a center who can pull (Greg) you can build a world class offense from a grand total of two plays.

So why don't other teams put the zone in? It's really hard to coach well and really hard to execute well.

Yes, they do run a ton of inside and outside zone blocking schemes. tons of teams run zone, they just don't cut block like Mason's teams.

Against Big Ten teams we will have a lot harder time in running the ball against them. That's why I would like to see the passing game develop these next three games before the Big Ten season starts. With the talent we have at receiver (Gray, Stoudlemire, Green, and Mcknight) there should be no reason why we can't move the ball thru the air also. Plus it looks like Lair will be a pretty good pass catching tight end.

Top Bottom