PFF: Ranking the 20 best head coaches in college football (#20. PJ Fleck, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Seth:

20. P.J. FLECK, MINNESOTA

The Western Michigan program was trending way down when Fleck took over the program in 2013. After a 9-4 2008 season, Bill Cubit’s Broncos fell to 22-27 over the next four years.

Fleck’s first team went 1-11, a three-loss decrease from the previous year, but he ultimately turned the boat around and went 8-5 the next two seasons before the incredible 13-1 season of 2016, where the team only lost in the Cotton Bowl to Wisconsin.

That's when Fleck headed to Minnesota to rebuild the Gophers. Again, there was a win decrease in his first season, as the Gophers went from nine wins to five in 2017, but a two-game improvement in 2018 foreshadowed an 11-2 season in 2019. In their history, Minnesota has only won more games in a season twice — in 1903 and 1904. A 3-4 season in the Covid-shortened 2020 campaign put a slight damper on Fleck's progress, so 2021 is a big year for him.

Go Gophers!!

Seems reasonable and even generous.

It's a weird phase for PJ as far as coach rankings go.

So much about the perception of the Minnesota program rests on how 2021 goes. This is the year that Fleck is meant to show what four years of his recruits look like. With 2020 being such a weird year though it makes me wonder how the development is going.

Can you imagine what a full years worth of development with our young defense would have done (half a season had amazing results from game 1 to game 7.) Still feels this year could be special, but would have felt a lot better if we would have had a few more games to help us judge and develop in 2020.

Interesting list. Seems to be missing some HCs who would push Fleck lower like Chryst, Cristobal, Gundy, Patterson, Ferentz, etc.

Again with the rebuild verbiage...

I believe in the excitement that PJ Fleck shared after the Spring Game barring key injuries.

Look for the Defense to impress. I expect the unveiling of new stars on the Offense. This could very well be the most balanced Gopher team yet.

There is a lot to be excited about.

I believe in the excitement that PJ Fleck shared after the Spring Game barring key injuries.

Look for the Defense to impress. I expect the unveiling of new stars on the Offense. This could very well be the most balanced Gopher team yet.

There is a lot to be excited about.
2019 was a very balanced team in a lot of ways. If this year's squad is close to that team's balance, I will be very happy.

PJ Fleck gave us a taste of what is possible. The Gophers are bound to win a Big Ten West title at a minimum.

2020 was an odd year, but the fact that our FG and punting games were subpar, and that we chose to hardly ever return a kickoff or punt, had a real effect in close games. I know our defense needs to be a lot better for 2021 to be a special year (and I think our defense will be a lot better), but equally important is special teams. If we can’t kick longish field goals at critical junctures, if our punter can’t ever flip the field, and if our return game consists of fair catches only, I don’t think an improved defense will be enough to make the season special. All three phases must be working.

So, if we're to believe these polls, he's the 20th best coach in the country but only the 8th best coach in the big ten? There must be some bad coaches outside of our conference.

This is a down time for fans and FB sports writers.
These predictions and 'ratings and rankings' are meaningless.
Enjoy the ones you like and curse the writers of those you do not like.
One thing is certain and that is there are a number of BIG coaches for whom this is a make or break season.

Top Bottom