Penn State Sanctions: Poll

Penn State's Punishment

• Total voters
Didn't see this posted before.

Only NCAA would attach price to pain

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...terno-Jerry-Sandusky-child-molestation-072312

"...But Monday was Emmert’s attempt to make up for a failed leadership that has made the NCAA as hated as the IRS. He needed to try to save face, and bullying beat-down Penn State was easy pickings.

Emmert knew the university couldn’t fight on for once because doing so would condone child abuse and misplaced priorities. So instead of affording the Nittany Lions the opportunity to go through the NCAA’s traditional infractions process, he simply became the judge, jury and executioner...."

Didn't see this posted before.

Only NCAA would attach price to pain

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...terno-Jerry-Sandusky-child-molestation-072312

"...But Monday was Emmert’s attempt to make up for a failed leadership that has made the NCAA as hated as the IRS. He needed to try to save face, and bullying beat-down Penn State was easy pickings.

Emmert knew the university couldn’t fight on for once because doing so would condone child abuse and misplaced priorities. So instead of affording the Nittany Lions the opportunity to go through the NCAA’s traditional infractions process, he simply became the judge, jury and executioner...."

The following quotes bear repeating. Why would anyone who believes in the value of higher education disagree with university presidents finally taking control of intercollegiate sports from athletics directors and coaches who make far too much money and receive far too little oversight?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

''NCAA President Mark Emmert said in an interview with The Associated Press that he doesn't think any comparisons can be made between the penalties Penn State received and what any other schools might face in the future. Yet he said he hopes the case will serve as a warning to other NCAA members. One of the grave dangers stemming from our love of sports is that the sports themselves can become too big to fail, indeed, too big to even challenge,'' Emmert said. ''The result can be an erosion of academic values that are replaced by the value of hero worship and winning at all costs. All involved in intercollegiate athletics must be watchful that programs and individuals do not overwhelm the values of higher education.''

Ed Ray, the NCAA Executive Committee chair and Oregon State president, said university presidents and chancellors let the NCAA know at a meeting a year ago that a change in the culture of college athletics is needed. ''They said, 'We've had enough. This has to stop. We have to reassert our responsibilities and charge to oversee intercollegiate athletics,''' Ray said. ''So the first question you asked is, does this send a message? The message is, the presidents and the chancellors are in charge.''

In addressing a case unprecedented in nature and scope, Emmert made a decisive and ground-breaking move, turning to the Division I Board of Directors and NCAA executive committee rather than use the enforcement process the NCAA typically applies to rules violators, according to the NCAA official and another person familiar with the case who is a former NCAA investigator.

The NCAA official said both the board of directors, comprised of 22 university presidents and chancellors, and the executive committee had directed Emmert to look into the Penn State case and to offer recommendations on penalties, which he did. Emmert received broad approval from both groups, the official said, to impose sanctions and bypass the usual investigation process.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/usa-today-news/2012/07/22/no-death-penalty-but-penn-state-sanctions-severe/

Maximus said:
Flashback 1999...Pioneer Press article comes out about Clem's cheating. Darn, that sure looks thorough. Before the Sweet Sixteen a week later, the Gophers are leveled by the NCAA. Zero difference.

PP investigative article = four month investigation by former director of FBI reviewing 3 million documents and interviewing 300 people with institution agreeing with all conclusions of report

Zero difference. Got it.

I don't think anyone on here would argue against the u presidents taking back control of athletics. A non-issue. The thorn in my side has been the excessive punishment assigned to the wrong people.

Just like the State Patrol is to blame when they stop a speeder and everybody slows down to a crawl. Yep, its all the cops fault and not the gawkers slowing down. Right. Got it.

Just like the State Patrol is to blame when they stop a speeder and everybody slows down to a crawl. Yep, its all the cops fault and not the gawkers slowing down. Right. Got it.

What?

Funny that you should use this analogy because as long as I can remember I've been a gawker. Back in the day, I was pretty good at gawking w/o slowing down because, of course, you weren't required to change lanes and you could gawk close up and personal. Now, with the signaling, lane changing and all I find that in order to get a good gawk I do, in fact, need to slow down. Perhaps the po-po do need to assume some fault here. Just say'in.

Funny that you should use this analogy because as long as I can remember I've been a gawker. Back in the day, I was pretty good at gawking w/o slowing down because, of course, you weren't required to change lanes and you could gawk close up and personal. Now, with the signaling, lane changing and all I find that in order to get a good gawk I do, in fact, need to slow down. Perhaps the po-po do need to assume some fault here. Just say'in.

I'm blaming the Republicans for narrow roads and narrower shoulders.

Until we agree that the enforcement of rules should be decided by a mob that is eager to demonstrate their disapproval of child-rape by cheering-on the gutting of a college football program (which had virtually nothing to do with these crimes), even the most scientific poll means nothing.

NCAA board endorses major changes in rules enforcement

The NCAA Division I Board of Directors endorsed sweeping recommendations Thursday to dramatically change the way the association deals with those who flout its rules.

Teams that commit the most egregious acts of misconduct would be subject to postseason bans of up to four years. And all revenue generated by those teams during the years the violations occurred would be negated. The NCAA also hopes to better hold rules-breaking coaches individually accountable with suspensions or show-cause orders.

A vote on the broad set of proposals is not expected until the board's October meeting. Other changes, which would not take effect until Aug. 1, 2013, include:

• A four-tier violation structure would replace the current two-tier — major and secondary — model.

• The Committee on Infractions, which acts as judge and jury in investigations, would expand, enabling it to handle more cases in a timely manner.

The new penalty guidelines would give the committee more leeway, when warranted, in imposing harsh sanctions more consistently.

And in a general criticism of the current climate in college sports, former men's basketball coach Tom Penders told USA TODAY Sports that the reward for cheating now clearly outweighs the risk of getting caught.

"A lot of these schools, they don't want to know the rules, they don't care about the rules," Penders said. "They are just going to be bold."

To that point, Ed Ray, Oregon State president and chair of the working group that made the recommended changes, said in a statement that college coaches want changes in how the NCAA deals with cheaters.

"Coaches come to me and say, 'I feel like a chump,' " Ray said. " 'I am trying to do things the right way and I have peers who laugh at me because I don't play the game and bend the rules the way they do.'

"That has got to stop. Most coaches are terrific people who love their student-athletes, try to do it the right way, try to have the right values and succeed. They are very frustrated. This has got to stop. I think most coaches are saying it's about time. We want a level playing field."

The board endorsed a four-tier violation structure to better address infractions that range in severity. A Level IV violation would consist of an inadvertent isolated issue that does not result in a large competitive advantage. A Level I violation would be characterized as a "severe breach," a transgression that "seriously undermines or threatens the integrity of the NCAA enduring values," the NCAA said.

The infractions committee, which hears all serious cases before a ruling is made, would grow to as many as 24 members from its current 10. The make-up of the committee would also expand to include current or former university presidents, vice presidents or other senior administrators, current and former directors of athletics, former NCAA coaches, conference officials, faculty, athletics administrators with compliance experience and members of the general public with a legal background.

The proposals also set out to better hold coaches accountable for establishing a tone of compliance. The most rampant rules-breakers could be subject to suspensions or a show-cause order of up to 10 years.

Regarding all of the recommendations, Ray said, "Our intention is to make this real in October."

http://www.freep.com/usatoday/article/56714992?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Michigan Wolverines|s

Top Bottom