Penalty for obvious flopping

#2Gopher

Reaction score
During the Tennessee / Ball State game, a Tennessee player flopped big time that prompted a Ball State Player to get penalized 15 yards who clearly didn't do anything. The officials do have a hard time seeing everything and do have a tough job. I'd love to see where if a video shows that the player flopped without contact, to suspend that player for a half that attempted to make a mockery of the rules. Seems to be an increase in this sort of thing, but nothing compared to the flopping in basketball and soccer.

If they had such a rule I would like to see it handled after the game. Team complains, submits video, and possible suspension.

But it is way rare so I doubt it would happen much.

Likely an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty! Suspension for 1/2 game seems a little extreme. I'm certain 15 yards from the spot of the foul is sufficient to discourage this behavior.
Sorry, I meant what was the Ball St player penalized for? Did they call PI when the player didn't touch the other player?

Sorry, I meant what was the Ball St player penalized for? Did they call PI when the player didn't touch the other player?
Ball State player was penalized for shoving a Tennessee player which he clearly didn't do. 15 yards for Tennessee. What would have happened if this was a critical close game? The intent of my thought is to discourage players from attempting to do antics like this knowing that they would automatedly be out for the next half. It cheapens the game. Yes, you could still look at video afterwards.

I'd make this reviewable for that matter. If a coach asks for a review on something like this, they will have to give up a time out if they were wrong. If the coach was right, then the team committing the flop would have some sort of penalty.

Ball State player was penalized for shoving a Tennessee player which he clearly didn't do. 15 yards for Tennessee. What would have happened if this was a critical close game? The intent of my thought is to discourage players from attempting to do antics like this knowing that they would automatedly be out for the next half. It cheapens the game. Yes, you could still look at video afterwards.

I'd make this reviewable for that matter. If a coach asks for a review on something like this, they will have to give up a time out if they were wrong. If the coach was right, then the team committing the flop would have some sort of penalty.
Assuming you are talking about this play, the Ball State guy did shove the lineman in the face. The flop after was pretty impressive but the flag probably would have come out anyway without it.

Assuming you are talking about this play, the Ball State guy did shove the lineman in the face. The flop after was pretty impressive but the flag probably would have come out anyway without it.

I never saw this. Thanks. It's amazing that the way you heard it and the way you see it is sometimes two different versions.

I would have liked to have seen offsetting personal foul/unsportsmanlike conduct calls there.

Top Bottom