Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

People keep talking about Payne coming back. Thats not gonna happen. Texas, Texas A&M, or Oregon will throw him some good money in the next week or so.
Time will tell. Many said he'd be picked up right away. We are coming to up on a month for him in the portal and a bunch of other bigs have landed.

Time will tell. Many said he'd be picked up right away. We are coming to up on a month for him in the portal and a bunch of other bigs have landed.
He’s back up plan for a lot of teams. He’ll still get paid well.

He’s back up plan for a lot of teams. He’ll still get paid well.
We'll definitely find out soon. Seems more and more likely he doesn't land in a better situation for more $$.

In my experience, team members that job hop to chase money end up being shitty team members.

People that chase money are people who are rarely, if ever, satisfied in life. It wasn't that he was offered nothing here and chose to actually get something. He just wants more. This is on top of the free education, free housing and free nutrition program he was receiving.

Karma is a beeotch - hope the ol' back holds up for the lad.
I’m not sure an 20 year old can be judged as “rarely, if ever, satisfied in life”. They haven’t lived long enough for their choices to be trend.

So the question remains......can you think of starters at Minnesota or other power conference schools transferring back in those days?

I am sure there were some premier players that transferred but I don't think it was anything like what we are seeing right now where starters at power conference schools are leaving to go chase money somewhere else.
My point wasn't the cause, it was the reaction, hence my point

Apparently not everyone does, hence my last response (see above)

I am not asking you to cheer for these kids leaving, heck you don't think I want Payne to stay?

But to wish for back issues (done in this thread) or to hope that he does poorly at his next stop is lame behavior. Wish him well and keep it moving, it's always been apart of the game.

Hate to break it to you but it's been about greed for 20+ years, the sentiment of this thread seems to have issues with the athletes getting a piece of the pie now.
They are not getting a piece of the pie. The pie is the TV contract leagues sign and distribute to their member teams. These payments are coming from outside the pie.

Payne has been consistently getting all B1G academic honors, along with JOJ and Carrington. I wouldn’t rag on their student athlete status.

Men's Basketball Honors (8):
Braeden Carrington, Parker Fox, Dawson Garcia, Isaiah Ihnen, Joshua Ola-Joseph, Pharrel Payne, Jackson Purcell, Will Ramberg
I don't know any of them personally....maybe they are great students and putting their studies high on their list of priorities.

But in general.....feel confident in saying the vast majority of these players in the portal aren't making this decision for academic reasons.

So the question remains......can you think of starters at Minnesota or other power conference schools transferring back in those days?

I am sure there were some premier players that transferred but I don't think it was anything like what we are seeing right now where starters at power conference schools are leaving to go chase money somewhere else.
Good Gopher players never used to transfer.

The only time players transferred was when the coach was fired. Or when a kid went to a blue blood but didn't get any playing time. Or if they got caught in a scandal. But that's about it. Keeping a team together was never anything to worry about.

Last edited:

Good Gopher players never used to transfer.

The only time players transferred was when the coach was fired. Or when a kid went to a blue blood but didn't get any playing time. Or if they got caught in a scandal. But that's about it. Keeping a team together was never anything to worry about.

Not true. Devoe Joseph, Justin Cobbs, Bryan Greenlee, etc. Certainly not nearly the movement there is now, but Cobbs and Joseph in particular were tough loses.

Go Gophers!!

Not true. Devoe Joseph, Justin Cobbs, Bryan Greenlee, etc. Certainly not nearly the movement there is now, but Cobbs and Joseph in particular were tough loses.

Go Gophers!!
That was basically part of a scandal. When our administration sabotaged our National-Championship-favorite team.

I'll never get over that. Adding White & Mbakwe to that team...we'd have been devastating in all areas.

Go Gophers!!
Cobbs and Greenlee ended up being nice players, but they were widely thought to be wastes of scholarships when they left. Didn't Devoe have some issues with weed when he left?

That was basically part of a scandal. When our administration sabotaged our National-Championship-favorite team.

I'll never get over that. Adding White & Mbakwe to that team...we'd have been devastating in all areas.
White especially, he was never charged with anything, he was under investigation but nothing came of it.

White especially, he was never charged with anything, he was under investigation but nothing came of it.
Yup. White was a fantastic player.

But Mbakwe was a great player his first year with us. A year after everyone else left. And before he got a nagging injury that slowed him down just a little the 2nd year.

Go Gophers!!
These and the other examples posted really illustrate how strange this current time period is. Greenlee and Cobbs where not startes when they left. Don't remember the whole Devoe Joseph deal but he was a part time starter in his sophomore year and only played 8 games in his junior year before he left.

In the past a school like Minnesota or Wisconsin wouldn't have to worry much about losing a starter to transfer. Those days are long gone and even places like Duke are seeing key players leave. The roster management part of college basketball right now is a complete joke.

Cobbs and Greenlee ended up being nice players, but they were widely thought to be wastes of scholarships when they left. Didn't Devoe have some issues with weed when he left?
Greenlee for sure was thought to be no loss and the mob going after freshmen was wrong. Cobbs was a good player too, but I don’t think the consensus was quite as strong on him. Big loss but pretty sure major personal reasons for his departure.

Top Bottom