Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

As long as it's not in the Big Ten, I will wish him well.
You know, it's funny, I used to feel that way as well. No hard feelings towards the players etc.....

But more and more, I find myself just not giving a crap about guys like Payne who are leaving just to cash in. I get it with the guys buried on the depth chart or who need to move down to get playing time, don't fault those guys at all. But Payne was a starter for a Big Ten team in his home state so frankly I don't wish him well and in fact I hope his next stop is a disaster for him. And if he ends up somewhere that plays the U next year I hope he gets boo'd just as much as Battle did when he came back here.

And I understand why guys are cashing in, hell I guess on some level it is tough to fault them, but as fans it sucks and I don't feel like we should be under any obligation to support these guys that are flipping their old team the bird as they go off to try and get paid somewhere else.

You know, it's funny, I used to feel that way as well. No hard feelings towards the players etc.....

But more and more, I find myself just not giving a crap about guys like Payne who are leaving just to cash in. I get it with the guys buried on the depth chart or who need to move down to get playing time, don't fault those guys at all. But Payne was a starter for a Big Ten team in his home state so frankly I don't wish him well and in fact I hope his next stop is a disaster for him. And if he ends up somewhere that plays the U next year I hope he gets boo'd just as much as Battle did when he came back here.

And I understand why guys are cashing in, hell I guess on some level it is tough to fault them, but as fans it sucks and I don't feel like we should be under any obligation to support these guys that are flipping their old team the bird as they go off to try and get paid somewhere else.
I have to admit the same feelings. I am a big college basketball fan. I am a huge Minnesota gopher fan. Both are being challenged these days.

Well the good news for him is that if he is he can just leave again. Developing a generation of players who will have no clue what it means to pay their dues or deal with adversity. Going to be a massive shock for them if/when they get to the pro ranks and they find out they have to actually earn their playing time.

For those who make the pro ranks.

So it bothered me more when guys left just to run off with a winner instead of making it happen here. When I think about Payne- I get his situation. Let's say the U has been netting him 20-25k a year. Battle got 250k for example (you can bet that made him start to think) and prices are likely rising. Suppose the U thinks they can get him to 50k now. He is hearing he may make multiples of that and surely 250+ is out there. Payne's shot at big NBA money is slim to none. If I am Payne - I am going to market and giving the hometown school a shot to match. He has 10-12 years to bankroll his basketball ability- that's it.

They’re called jokes bro

My bad, apparently you didn’t experience what’s intended as good natured joshing with male peers while playing sports in your formative years. Giving each other 💩 is male bonding.

Don’t worry I won’t reference you or otherwise engage you again on here; as my vibe is having a good time and trying not to take a free site too seriously - it’s cool if that’s not your deal or anyone else’s.
Joshing is a classic word, love your use of it. Kudos.

So it bothered me more when guys left just to run off with a winner instead of making it happen here. When I think about Payne- I get his situation. Let's say the U has been netting him 20-25k a year. Battle got 250k for example (you can bet that made him start to think) and prices are likely rising. Suppose the U thinks they can get him to 50k now. He is hearing he may make multiples of that and surely 250+ is out there. Payne's shot at big NBA money is slim to none. If I am Payne - I am going to market and giving the hometown school a shot to match. He has 10-12 years to bankroll his basketball ability- that's it.
Not doubting you, but did Battle really get $250K? Where has that been reported? Imagine paying a kid $250K and your investment nets a 2nd round NIT loss?

Not doubting you, but did Battle really get $250K? Where has that been reported? Imagine paying a kid $250K and your investment nets a 2nd round NIT loss?
I will be the first to say it was a bad investment. I am just recounting what was reported here when he went to OSU

I’m the an unlicensed agent for another board. They’re offering a 6 pack of 22oz. Heinekens if you migrate your indomitable wit to their board?

Are you interested?
Those 22oz Heinekens are hard to find…..outside the city. Gotta be bottles

I’m going on the assumption that anything that gets reported publicly is overstated, probably a rumor started by the grifters looking for clients.

I think Doogie reported amount for Payne is closer to $500k

I’m going on the assumption that anything that gets reported publicly is overstated, probably a rumor started by the grifters looking for clients.
That's possible. I think it is probably fairly accurate. As nice Minnesotans we tend to want to believe that things just aren't that messed up and that no one would pay him 250k. So we tell ourselves that it was less so that we can believe we are not that far from being competitive.

It is what it is, I get why the players are doing it, they are college kids with huge sums of money being dangled in front of them. Most won't ever make money in pro ball so the mentality becomes get what you can now.

The only real losers in all of this are the fans but sports have become less and less about the fans anyway so this just becomes another example.

Up to this point in my life I have tended to be more of a college than pro sports fan. I can feel that starting to shift for me in this current environment. I mean if I am going to watch highly paid athletes that are only in it for the money it may as well be the best in the world at the pro ranks as opposed to mediocre college players.

Payne could have led the team to something special next year, but he quit. Good riddance.
So if a new employer comes at you with a 300k raise you will say- no I like my current company?

There isn't a person on this board who would turn down several hundred thousand dollars at age twenty to make the move. I don't blame the players a bit. As a gopher fan and as a pretty permanent member of the have nots of college sports, it feels hopeless.

I mostly agree with you here. I hold no ill will toward Battle. He came back to Minnesota and was the best player on a bad team for two years. Sucks that he went to an in-conference rival.....but he took a chance to get paid. Can't hate on him for that. I prefer to appreciate his contributions while he was here. Plus.....I don't think he would have made this year's team any better.

Similar situation with Payne. But without knowing what he's been offered....I can't make any judgement. If the Gophers NIL situation is competitive with other schools.....then I think it would be kind of shitty to leave. But if the Gophers are nowhere in the vicinity....I guess I can't blame him.

It is what it is, I get why the players are doing it, they are college kids with huge sums of money being dangled in front of them. Most won't ever make money in pro ball so the mentality becomes get what you can now.

The only real losers in all of this are the fans but sports have become less and less about the fans anyway so this just becomes another example.

Up to this point in my life I have tended to be more of a college than pro sports fan. I can feel that starting to shift for me in this current environment. I mean if I am going to watch highly paid athletes that are only in it for the money it may as well be the best in the world at the pro ranks as opposed to mediocre college players.
I don't love the NBA but at least there is a structure and rules to the game at this point. The college game is a mess.

I think that the kids are ultimately losing as well. Even the ones getting paid are losing out on a richer experience (another kind of rich).

There isn't a person on this board who would turn down several hundred thousand dollars at age twenty to make the move. I don't blame the players a bit. As a gopher fan and as a pretty permanent member of the have nots of college sports, it feels hopeless.
I don't disagree. College athletics shouldn't be just about money but unfortunately it has become almost totally about that in college basketball and football isn't far behind.

The fact that we have to spend as much time as we do talking about how much money a college player is or should be getting is just sad. Cheating in college sports has always been a thing but there used to be a purity to the college game that is long gone in this current time when it is all about greed and getting paid.

The reason I gravitated toward the college sports is because there was a purity to the game. A bunch of players working towards a possibility of a pro career. Turning college sports into a minor league rips out the heart of what makes this game better than the pros.

And I am in no way against compensating college athletes. I'm 100% for it. But we went from free tuition.......to small fortunes way too quickly. Not sure how the NCAA bottles this back up.....but they've got to think of something.

It’ll swing back at some point, but the cbb has fallen apart in its current form.

Top Bottom