Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

Marcus Fuller with article in the Strib: (look at the quotes from Payne just a couple of weeks ago)

Progress this season for the Gophers wasn't enough to keep the talented forward with the program. Payne talked to Johnson about his intent to transfer during a meeting this week. The opportunity for more lucrative name, image, and likeness opportunities were potentially a factor.

After the Big Ten tournament loss at Michigan State, Payne talked about his excitement over the Gophers' potential next season if most of the core players returned.

"I think it's important to keep the group together, so we can keep building on it," Payne told the Star Tribune at Target Center. "Imagine what we could do if we keep the group together for next year."

look - maybe coaching had something to do with it. but this sounds like it was mostly about $$$.
two weeks ago, he's talking about keeping the group together. now he's leaving. what changed?
someone floated an offer - through legal or illegal avenues - that changed his mind.
OR, maybe because Henley left and Carrington left and Ola Joseph left he said this ain't gonna work.
And. The next post entry pass I get will be the first...so, I'm going somewhere where there is an emphasis on getting me the ball in the post.

Might be a hot take but Payne seems incredibly overrated by the board and apparently whoever is about to pay him. Maybe it was the function of him and Dawson shouldn't be starting at the same time but he seemed so awkward doing basic things on the basketball court. I cringed every time he dribbled and threw a pass and not to mention the free throws. He was also consistently in foul trouble.

Optics are obviously bad but I don't think any of the losses are irreplaceable currently...
My advice to you, Johnny, would've been to start drinking heavily but you appear to have beat me to it. 🙂

My advice to you, Johnny, would've been to start drinking heavily but you appear to have beat me to it. 🙂
He's going to get a bag either way. Hes a great athlete I don't think he's a great basketball player. Nothing to do with the coach staying or leaving. The MSU game was a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Struggled to shoot free throws, infinite turnovers, and struggles around the rim. Those games gave me doubts about the coaching staffs ability to develop.

Every team has a limited NIL budget.

If you want to pay for an injury-plagued player who can't shoot and sucked at D in the post-season, hey, go ahead. He has back issues. Sounds chronic. Maybe not serious injury but something.

Might be a hot take but Payne seems incredibly overrated by the board and apparently whoever is about to pay him. Maybe it was the function of him and Dawson shouldn't be starting at the same time but he seemed so awkward doing basic things on the basketball court. I cringed every time he dribbled and threw a pass and not to mention the free throws. He was also consistently in foul trouble.

Optics are obviously bad but I don't think any of the losses are irreplaceable currently...
Is that right...so then I assume you didn't have high hopes for next year? I mean if none of the losses are that bad we should have been very worried about the future right?

Something tells me that isn't what you were saying 24 hours ago.

The next post entry pass I get will be the first...so, I'm going somewhere where there is an emphasis on getting me the ball in the post.

Are you kidding me? Do you even watch these games? Have you ever heard of Elijah Hawkins, the leading assist man in the conference and second in the nation? I'll admit that feeding the post often was a problem in the past but Payne got more lobs and post passes this season than he'll get almost anywhere else in the future. Feeding the center isn't as common as it used to be but our point guard was one of the best at it.

This board has its share of bad takes but, since I've been reading this board, you have to be the champion of them. I remember last summer when you asserted defiantly that this team couldn't beat anyone in the conference, would finish last again, and everybody else's transfer recruits were better than ours.

Is that right...so then I assume you didn't have high hopes for next year? I mean if none of the losses are that bad we should have been very worried about the future right?

Johnny boy and his tune has changed 180. Fraud.

I don't have high hopes for next year or any year of Minnesota basketball or Minnesota sports in general.

Are you kidding me? Do you even watch these games? Have you ever heard of Elijah Hawkins, the leading assist man in the conference and second in the nation? I'll admit that feeding the post often was a problem in the past but Payne got more lobs and post passes this season than he'll get almost anywhere else in the future. Feeding the center isn't as common as it used to be but our point guard was one of the best at it.

This board has its share of bad takes but, since I've been reading this board, you have to be the champion of them. I remember last summer when you asserted defiantly that this team couldn't beat anyone in the conference, would finish last again, and everybody else's transfer recruits were better than ours.
Hawkins did the drive, draw and dish- very well and certainly Payne got action that way. Good post entry play was not featured often because we simply don't reverse the ball. We dribble. Payne sets the high screen. Payne was usually receiving the ball (other than on the Hawk drives) 8-10 feet from the basket. Too far. Payne will develop a mid range shot and be a terrific player- I hope we get him back.

He's going to get a bag either way. Hes a great athlete I don't think he's a great basketball player. Nothing to do with the coach staying or leaving. The MSU game was a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Struggled to shoot free throws, infinite turnovers, and struggles around the rim. Those games gave me doubts about the coaching staffs ability to develop.
He's a sophomore. I will be shocked in a good way if we find a replacement as good as him who gives us a physical presence on both ends.

Maybe you and I differ on what posting up is...on what a post entry pass is. Hawkins penetrated and dumped it off to Payne, Fox, Ola Joseph, Garcia etc. He did the same thing with lob passes.
Awesome!
But now we are in our half court set offense and depending on the opponent....that's harder to do if it isn't a scramble situation. So, it'd be nice if we borrowed some post entries from Wisconsin or Cockburn at Illinois....those are post entries.

Regarding our place in the standings...we over achieved...we won the tie breaker to stay out of the bottom four. Yay!
The team I was touting was Nebraska....and nobody else was having it. They finished third in the standings.

Maybe you and I differ on what posting up is...on what a post entry pass is. Hawkins penetrated and dumped it off to Payne, Fox, Ola Joseph, Garcia etc. He did the same thing with lob passes.
Awesome!
But now we are in our half court set offense and depending on the opponent....that's harder to do if it isn't a scramble situation. So, it'd be nice if we borrowed some post entries from Wisconsin or Cockburn at Illinois....those are post entries.

Regarding our place in the standings...we over achieved...we won the tie breaker to stay out of the bottom four. Yay!
The team I was touting was Nebraska....and nobody else was having it. They finished third in the standings.
Clearly didn't watch the ISU game. He got plenty of post touches. What he did with those are a different question.

Clearly didn't watch the ISU game. He got plenty of post touches. What he did with those are a different question.
For the season he finished those shots 60% of the time. He missed some in the Indiana State game. He was our best rebounder per 40 minutes, 2nd best scorer per 40 and best shot blocker.

You are correct, I did not. Truly didn't see it...what were his shortcomings? Maybe it's why we didn't do it...because he travels, can't catch, can't finish....what?

Hawkins did the drive, draw and dish- very well and certainly Payne got action that way. Good post entry play was not featured often because we simply don't reverse the ball. We dribble. Payne sets the high screen. Payne was usually receiving the ball (other than on the Hawk drives) 8-10 feet from the basket. Too far. Payne will develop a mid range shot and be a terrific player- I hope we get him back.

They called him for goaltending his own shot. Did you see that. And how many missed bunnies this postseason?

Or on the bench because of his back again?

He will end up at a very prominent program. My guess is Kentucky.

I agree with that but, last I've heard, he wasn't getting $3 million. I would guess that he's still the lowest paid coach in the league.
If CBJ isn't paid 3 million then pay him 3 million and he can divey the payment to himself, assistant coaches and the players. Every bb team in b10 should get the same amount for coaches and players.

If CBJ isn't paid 3 million then pay him 3 million and he can divey the payment to himself, assistant coaches and the players. Every bb team in b10 should get the same amount for coaches and players.
Wow!

They called him for goaltending his own shot. Did you see that. And how many missed bunnies this postseason?

Or on the bench because of his back again?
You spelled "GopherMoron" wrong.

I agree with you that losing Garcia will have a bigger impact on next year but I think I'd rather have two seasons of Payne.
Well, obviously we'd rather have two seasons of Payne vs. one of Garcia.

But this shit is clearly year to year. If we are talking one season, next year only, then it's Dawson.

For the season he finished those shots 60% of the time. He missed some in the Indiana State game. He was our best rebounder per 40 minutes, 2nd best scorer per 40 and best shot blocker.
Genuine question is 60% good when you shoot 99% of your shots are layups/dunks or hook shots? JOJ and Fox had higher percentages with more difficult shots IMO

Genuine question is 60% good when you shoot 99% of your shots are layups/dunks or hook shots?
Uncontested or contested? In the games I watch, his shots are heavily contested in most cases and he draws a lot of doubles- which helps the team if they are moving the ball. So my answer is yes, 60% if pretty solid.

By the way National Player of the Year- Zach Edey - 62%

Last edited:

OR, maybe because Henley left and Carrington left and Ola Joseph left he said this ain't gonna work.
And. The next post entry pass I get will be the first...so, I'm going somewhere where there is an emphasis on getting me the ball in the post.

Maybe Carrington, JOJ, and Payne are looking to follow Henley to DePaul. Reunite the dream team. :unsure:

What if any of these three will end up together?

Please don't stay in the conference. Carrington could stay in the conference though, maybe JOJ.

Rumor on twitter was an opposing coach offered Payne B1G money in December and that was that, he was gone.

Top Bottom