Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

well, now that A-Rod and Lore are not going to become majority owners of the T-Wolves, maybe someone can get them to throw some of that money into the Gophers' NIL fund - because they love MN so much...........

It's a wild sports day in the Cities. Payne in the Portal. Sale of Wolves is halted. normally, Opening Day for the Twins would be the lead story. now, it's an after-thought.

WHOA!!!! didn't see this coming!

gotta be $$$$$$$
I'm sure he is marketing for a big NIL deal. That is the way of college athletics now. Show a little improvement or development, bam Pay the big buck's. I'm sure Kansas will be all over this deal or even Duke.

Last edited:

This is why there is more interest in women’s March Madness, all the portaling in men’s basketball is sickening. I didn’t expect Payne to leave. He was really improving here
The future of college sports as we lived and knew it is in women’s sports. No question.

100% true. Hopefully the departures of JOJ, Payne, and Battle before him open the eyes of those that still believe college sports is about "closing the borders". Not anymore. Portal recruiting/free agency and NIL rule supreme. Frustrating.
...and if it's frustrating for fans, imagine being a coach or administrator. This is a nightmare nobody asked for and few want.

Pharrell is a super bright kid. This is not about money.
I agree that it’s not about the money. Most thinking NIL is the reason, but not considering what transpired during the season. There is more to it than NIL
James indicated the sophomores are very unhappy about a lot of things cbj related.

According to this site, there were 1,221 female college basketball players who transferred last season and 331 D1 schools had at least one transfer. Women's basketball isn't at all immune from this.

Women's CBB transfers 2023
Not immune but far less likely to be infected by big money for middle rung players. There are more scholarships in women’s basketball and I suspect playing time and general personal satisfaction are more significant than money in those moves.

...and if it's frustrating for fans, imagine being a coach or administrator. This is a nightmare nobody asked for and few want.
Time for the middle rung of power conference schools to stand up and insist on rules that contribute to competitive balance. They can’t do with just the “original six.”

I agree that it’s not about the money. Most thinking NIL is the reason, but not considering what transpired during the season. There is more to it than NIL

There likely is more to it than just NIL, but Payne does not have an NBA future. So it's hard to blame him for trying to make more money now.

Keep NIL, but reinstitute the 1 year sit out if you transfer. No free transfers.

If the program really wants you they will pay you to sit. And if you really want to transfer to a different institution to complete your education, you should be thrilled to have an extra year of study on full scholarship.
Exactly, and that's one of the few things the NCAA can probably do that will hold up in court.

The future of college sports as we lived and knew it is in women’s sports. No question.

Not so fast. See my post above regarding Women's CBB and transfers. 331 D1 schools had at least one transfer last season. The NIL money pouring in probably isn't quite as much (although Caitlin Clark likely is one of the richest amateur athletes in the USA).

I've already been checking out from college sports the last couple of years... this type of expectation might be the nail in the coffin for me. Good luck to the U I guess.
Mankato State literally wins in everything if you are looking for a local program to follow. The U should have been taking notes from them a long time ago.

Mankato State literally wins in everything if you are looking for a local program to follow. The U should have been taking notes from them a long time ago.
Step 1: move down to Division 2.

I'm not sure following MSU is the right idea here..

Time for the middle rung of power conference schools to stand up and insist on rules that contribute to competitive balance. They can’t do with just the “original six.”
Every game needs rules. Can you imagine even a card game without rules? This is a weird time in history where the pro leagues are an order of magnitude more regulated than the college game.

All the CBJ bobos immediately defaulting to "NiL!!1@" are hilarious.

He wants to play for a better coaching staff. He wants to have a chance to win.
That and he probably wants to get paid

At least our team FT percentage won't be as shitty next season
Payne's FT percentage improved throughout the season. He will be missed.
NIL/transfer portal sucks!
Gophers are like a G-league for D1 basketball.

will be interesting to see if there's a big that wants to play with one of the best assist guys

as for payne, will be interesting to see if his back problems hold up any big nil deal.

hoping tony L is wrong and no more shoes to drop. good guards, a really good wing and 4/5 is a good start

On the surface it feels like a knee-jerk reaction to say this should result in making a coaching move. But the reality is CBJ has been given a lot of latitude to build and the strongest argument for keeping him was that he would have a top half of the B1G team next year with an opportunity to do a lot more if he kept everyone. But he's lost the one player that arguably had the fewest reasons to move on. NIL shouldn't be propped up as an excuse here -- CBJ had a lot to sell this specific player that should have bridged any gap in compensation and he was hired to do precisely that with players exactly like PP.
NIL should be combined with coach's salary. Coach get's decide how to keep players based on total cash available for the program. CBJ doesn't deserve a $ 3+ MM salary based on results of seasons 1 thru 3.

All the CBJ bobos immediately defaulting to "NiL!!1@" are hilarious.

He wants to play for a better coaching staff. He wants to have a chance to win.
Can you say this louder for the people in the back?

Apparently we offered a decent deal.

Per Ryan James "Minnesota offered him a solid NIL package for next season but Payne will look for opportunities elsewhere. He just entered the transfer portal but I can promise you Iowa State, Texas A&M and Nebraska will be among the teams all over it. And Kansas is the school I have had my eye on for him. "
How does Iowa St have that kind of money?

Top Bottom