Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

The Ben death march begins. Go get Musselman asap, Mark.
They could get Wooden and it wouldn't make a difference in this new world of NIL. Let's face it- we had a long list of challenges to competing before the NIL era- how are we going to overcome this? Minnesotans are not sleazy and our sensibilities are NOT going to suddenly change. We are not going to open our checkbooks for pay for play. There is NO program-changing coach living or dead who will come here even if we made them the highest paid in NCAA history as they know that the NIL will NEVER be here to compete for the best players. It would be career ending for them.

Ryan James said it isn’t. It’s in this thread.
From James 247 Article. "Minnesota offered him a solid NIL package for next season but Payne will look for opportunities elsewhere. He just entered the transfer portal but I can promise you Iowa State, Texas A&M and Nebraska will be among the teams all over it. And Kansas is the school I have had my eye on for him."

I heard through a connection over the weekend that the vultures were coming for Payne.

They could get Wooden and it wouldn't make a difference in this new world of NIL. Let's face it- we had a long list of challenges to competing before the NIL era- how are we going to overcome this? Minnesotans are not sleazy and our sensibilities are NOT going to suddenly change. We are not going to open our checkbooks for pay for play. There is NO program-changing coach living or dead who will come here even if we made them the highest paid in NCAA history as they know that the NIL will NEVER be here to compete for the best players. It would be career ending for them.
I don't buy this. We're not asking for national titles. We're asking for an above average competent team. Plenty of coaches have those without massive NIL funds.

From James 247 Article. "Minnesota offered him a solid NIL package for next season but Payne will look for opportunities elsewhere. He just entered the transfer portal but I can promise you Iowa State, Texas A&M and Nebraska will be among the teams all over it. And Kansas is the school I have had my eye on for him."

I heard through a connection over the weekend that the vultures were coming for Payne.
My concern has been that the mid- and low-majors were turning into farm teams for high-majors. It seems like maybe we're one of those farm teams.

I don't buy this. We're not asking for national titles. We're asking for an above average competent team. Plenty of coaches have those without massive NIL funds.
Why would any ANY AD risk paying a coach big time money without solid NIL backing? It would be illogical to waste legit department dollars to hire a coach when all it takes is for the sleazy money to come in and lure players away.

RJ says he was offered a nice NIL deal..... i would say it wasn't big enough
Also saw Ryan James say that Payne wanted to be paid as one of the best bigs in the country on GI. And Payne isnt one of the best bigs in the country he has the potential to get better but he has to realize that before he gets paid imo. Minnesota can't spend money on potential.

Last edited:

Every team has been taking hits to their rosters because of this chaos. It's unrealistic to think we can keep all the players, but what you're saying is true: at the end of the day, there's still no reason Minnesota can't be competitive under the right leadership and administration.

Also saw Ryan James say that Payne wanted to be paid as one of the best bigs in the country on GI. And Payne isnt one of the best bigs in the country he has the potential to get better but he has to realize that before he get paid imo. Minnesota can spend money on potential.
I think this is why RJ posted this yesterday. He knew about it and that it was coming.

Marcus Fuller with article in the Strib: (look at the quotes from Payne just a couple of weeks ago)

Progress this season for the Gophers wasn't enough to keep the talented forward with the program. Payne talked to Johnson about his intent to transfer during a meeting this week. The opportunity for more lucrative name, image, and likeness opportunities were potentially a factor.

After the Big Ten tournament loss at Michigan State, Payne talked about his excitement over the Gophers' potential next season if most of the core players returned.

"I think it's important to keep the group together, so we can keep building on it," Payne told the Star Tribune at Target Center. "Imagine what we could do if we keep the group together for next year."

look - maybe coaching had something to do with it. but this sounds like it was mostly about $$$.
two weeks ago, he's talking about keeping the group together. now he's leaving. what changed?
someone floated an offer - through legal or illegal avenues - that changed his mind.

You can probably kiss Hawkins and Christie good bye. Garcia potentially too. What a pisser.

If you can't keep your starters, then something is wrong. I don't know. Maybe it's just time to follow D2 and D3 where the kids are in it for the love of the game. Or maybe more womens sports. This money chasing, zero loyalty, etc just isn't any fun at all. As with everything in the world money ruins everything and it has almost ended NCAA D1 basketball.

And at least in pro sports there are contracts where once they sign they are here until it's over or they are traded.

Every team has been taking hits to their rosters because of this chaos. It's unrealistic to think we can keep all the players, but what you're saying is true: at the end of the day, there's still no reason Minnesota can't be competitive under the right leadership and administration.
No one is asking for anything other than making the dang tournament 1 out of ever 2-3 years and a sweet sixteen run once a decade.

Larger picture.... when is the Big Eighteen going to cut the U and some of the other league "have nots" loose because it doesn't want to share media revenues.

I'm tired of hearing Coyle talk about doing NIL the "right way" when he raised pennies to there schools dollars.

So much for the local angle being the foundation of building a program.

100% true. Hopefully the departures of JOJ, Payne, and Battle before him open the eyes of those that still believe college sports is about "closing the borders". Not anymore. Portal recruiting/free agency and NIL rule supreme. Frustrating.

This is why there is more interest in women’s March Madness, all the portaling in men’s basketball is sickening. I didn’t expect Payne to leave. He was really improving here

According to this site, there were 1,221 female college basketball players who transferred last season and 331 D1 schools had at least one transfer. Women's basketball isn't at all immune from this.

Women's CBB transfers 2023

Top Bottom