Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

Keep NIL, but reinstitute the 1 year sit out if you transfer. No free transfers.

If the program really wants you they will pay you to sit. And if you really want to transfer to a different institution to complete your education, you should be thrilled to have an extra year of study on full scholarship.

My real stipulation was whether or not he could keep the team intact. JOJ seemed iminent. Payne is a bellwhether imho.

I don't see how this can continue. This is a very, very bad look for CBJ and his program.
The worst. I guess the question Coyle has to answer is whether it’s too late to make a change. Hiring a mercenary seems like the only option now.

I don't know how I feel about hanging this at Coach's feet. JOJ - sure, clearly fell out of favor/rotation - so makes sense to have him leave. Payne - from the outside he's playing heavy rotation minutes, tangible improvement from year one to the end of year 2. So to me, the staff is doing what I want them to do with him. If it comes down to $$, that's not on a coach (in theory)

I don't know how I feel about hanging this at Coach's feet. JOJ - sure, clearly fell out of favor/rotation - so makes sense to have him leave. Payne - from the outside he's playing heavy rotation minutes, tangible improvement from year one to the end of year 2. So to me, the staff is doing what I want them to do with him. If it comes down to $$, that's not on a coach (in theory)
It’s time for honesty in the system. If he’s chasing money, he should say so. At least in the “hardship” days of the draft, guys would talk about helping their families and life changing money. This is just covert tampering and bribery and everyone had to play the game. Yuk.

Keep NIL, but reinstitute the 1 year sit out if you transfer. No free transfers.

If the program really wants you they will pay you to sit. And if you really want to transfer to a different institution to complete your education, you should be thrilled to have an extra year of study on full scholarship.
That got challenged in court and they ruled the NCAA can't do that.

I don’t think it’s about NIL. CBJ doesn’t know how to communicate with his players. I’m sure he received a very competitive NIL package from CBJ. However, Payne probably doesn’t value his relationship with the coach.
Historically that’s not the problem. The best players in the Pitino era were recruited by Ben and all say he was a great guy and communicated well with players and families while Richard left that duty to him.

Wow. This is a huge blow. I guess I would also fire Ben now then. This means it's just the start, Garcia and Christie likely gone too.
Why would they choose to come back over pro or more lucrative NIL offers if the core isn't staying together? Way better than 50/50 they're both gone too.

So much for the local angle being the foundation of building a program.
For me that was the last inkling of caring. So in a way it’s bittersweet.

Sometime say around 2007-08 ESPN and Co’s editorializing of faux controversy started ruining pro sports for me. Took about 5 years and I no longer cared first about NBA, then NFL, etc. I went from Season ticket holder to bandwagon participant. Now I often forget the games are on.

This local angle was sort of the last straw in College sports for me. It’s kind of nice. I’ll take it slow, see if there is a reason to still watch.

Mostly, I’m returning to the what made me love sports in the beginning- playing. I get out and play with the kids. Teach it, coach it, screw around at the park with a ball. It’s quite liberating in that respect.

Can’t state I won’t miss the local angle. It was unifying. This is us, win or lose. that was a lot of fun.

The worst. I guess the question Coyle has to answer is whether it’s too late to make a change. Hiring a mercenary seems like the only option now.
Season's only been over for 96 hours. It's not too late.

That got challenged in court and they ruled the NCAA can't do that.
For now. At some point, the courts or legislative action has to allow a system that contributes to some competitive balance like the pro leagues. Your contract idea seems to fit. Allowing transfer rules is one point in a larger system.

The system is imploding and will soon be 60 schools playing pro sports with no rules and the rest returning to sports as part of a larger educational and community building reality in colleges. The rich ones need the poor ones, especially in basketball but I don’t think they see that.

For me that was the last inkling of caring. So in a way it’s bittersweet.

Sometime say around 2007-08 ESPN and Co’s editorializing of faux controversy started ruining pro sports for me. Took about 5 years and I no longer cared first about NBA, then NFL, etc. I went from Season ticket holder to bandwagon participant. Now I often forget the games are on.

This local angle was sort of the last straw in College sports for me. It’s kind of nice. I’ll take it slow, see if there is a reason to still watch.

Mostly, I’m returning to the what made me love sports in the beginning- playing. I get out and play with the kids. Teach it, coach it, screw around at the park with a ball. It’s quite liberating in that respect.

Can’t state I won’t miss the local angle. It was unifying. This is us, win or lose. that was a lot of fun.
Amen. Sadly I’m too old to follow you to the gym.

Reminds me of the Jerry Seinfeld line (with the exception of moving to another city).

"Loyalty to any one sports team is pretty hard to justify, because the players are always changing; the team could move to another city. You're actually rooting for the clothes when you get right down to it."

Top Bottom