Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

I’d love to know the backstory. JOJ I get. He wasn’t getting PT, but Payne was developing under this program and definitely part of the future.
Money? Concern about health?

Good luck to Payne. Can’t blame him if someone is going to give him a ton of cash.

NIL has signaled the end of development programs.

Programs like the U better find a way to come up with some money to stay competitive in the current environment or mediocre at best is their ceiling.

Picking off the leftovers in the portal won’t be enough.

Good luck to Payne. Can’t blame him if someone is going to give him a ton of cash.

NIL has signaled the end of development programs.

Programs like the U better find a way to come up with some money to stay competitive in the current environment or mediocre at best is their ceiling.

Picking off the leftovers in the portal won’t be enough.
This is entirely true. I get it, the old guard refuses to believe it but a development program IS NOT A THING. You don't have to give a coach a full recruiting cycle, he's not keeping kids 4 years.

And yes we need to find money, again it's not great but it's a fact of life in the NIL world.

I will say feasting on the scraps is tough and can lead to a tough year or 2 here and there, but if you have the right coach it's a viable option. I can tell you now we 100% don't have that coach so that won't work.

Not a good look at all. The administration needs to have a serious conversation about running this back another year.
Gives a different look on the late season fade that many of us attribute to running out of gas. Heads look like they were elsewhere near the end of the season.

How many high end portal guys tell us they are leaving for a payday? That’s likely what will be tossed out to explain the situation and it could very well be true. Or not.

Apparently we offered a decent deal.

Per Ryan James "Minnesota offered him a solid NIL package for next season but Payne will look for opportunities elsewhere. He just entered the transfer portal but I can promise you Iowa State, Texas A&M and Nebraska will be among the teams all over it. And Kansas is the school I have had my eye on for him. "

Well at least we don't have to worry about the whole BS excuse that Ben needs to see his first freshman class through now that only Carrington is left.

College is year to year and has been that way since Ben was hired. You either have a coach that can handle that or you don't.

And the Gophers don't.

On the surface it feels like a knee-jerk reaction to say this should result in making a coaching move. But the reality is CBJ has been given a lot of latitude to build and the strongest argument for keeping him was that he would have a top half of the B1G team next year with an opportunity to do a lot more if he kept everyone. But he's lost the one player that arguably had the fewest reasons to move on. NIL shouldn't be propped up as an excuse here -- CBJ had a lot to sell this specific player that should have bridged any gap in compensation and he was hired to do precisely that with players exactly like PP.

Money? Concern about health?

Could be both. Maybe it could be the allure of a blue blood program as well. When he was in high school, he wasn't that highly rated and had only two P6 offers according to 247. Now, he has the reputation of one of the best young big men in a top conference and a lot more high-level teams would want him.

Welcome to college sports; will continue to see this year after year. NIL is just a different ball game. As a fan its frustrating as you want/do donate to DTA as you have favorite teams but then they just leave. So why would a fan donate money for them to just leave? Hard to invest in team/platers when they change every year. Go Gophs!

Could be both. Maybe it could be the allure of a blue blood program as well. When he was in high school, he wasn't that highly rated and had only two P6 offers according to 247. Now, he has the reputation of one of the best young big men in a top conference and a lot more high-level teams would want him.
Voices had to be in his ear all season long. Hear it long enough and you eventually buy in to it.

I used to detest the NBA and love CB. It has flipped.

At least in the NBA the contract terms are known, the rosters are more stable, and there are rules that at least give teams some semblance of a chance to compete.

If I'm going to watch professional basketball, I'll watch the league with the best players that's not in utter chaos every offseason.

NBA >>>>>>>>College Basketball. I can't believe it has come to this.

Apparently we offered a decent deal.

Per Ryan James "Minnesota offered him a solid NIL package for next season but Payne will look for opportunities elsewhere. He just entered the transfer portal but I can promise you Iowa State, Texas A&M and Nebraska will be among the teams all over it. And Kansas is the school I have had my eye on for him. "
I just puked in my mouth a little......FKN gross

Gives a different look on the late season fade that many of us attribute to running out of gas. Heads look like they were elsewhere near the end of the season.

How many high end portal guys tell us they are leaving for a payday? That’s likely what will be tossed out to explain the situation and it could very well be true. Or not.
My real stipulation was whether or not he could keep the team intact. JOJ seemed iminent. Payne is a bellwhether imho.

I don't see how this can continue. This is a very, very bad look for CBJ and his program.

College sports are over for the have-nots. Gopher basketball and football aren't going to compete with the top teams as the gap will just grow and grow.

Gopher hockey will be fine.

You're probably right. For most, it's better to be a big fish in a small point than a small fish in a big pond these days.

Top Bottom