Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

Step 1: move down to Division 2.

I'm not sure following MSU is the right idea here..
I watched a few MSU-Moorhead games this year. They lost to Mankato in the round of 32 in D2 March Madness. D2 hoops is pretty good if you can get by the poor broadcast/streaming quality when watching on TV. If you just like the game, it's not so bad.

Good luck to Payne. Can’t blame him if someone is going to give him a ton of cash.

NIL has signaled the end of development programs.

Programs like the U better find a way to come up with some money to stay competitive in the current environment or mediocre at best is their ceiling.

Picking off the leftovers in the portal won’t be enough.
Won’t be enough for what? Winning the Big Ten? Winning a natty?

We weren’t doing that before NIL and free transfers.

I get the frustration for fans. It’s impossible to closely follow a team and not get attached to specific players. These aren’t robots in uniforms. It sucks

NIL should be combined with coach's salary. Coach get's decide how to keep players based on total cash available for the program. CBJ doesn't deserve a $ 3+ MM salary based on results of seasons 1 thru 3.

I agree with that but, last I've heard, he wasn't getting $3 million. I would guess that he's still the lowest paid coach in the league.

I don't buy this. We're not asking for national titles. We're asking for an above average competent team. Plenty of coaches have those without massive NIL funds.
But how many can sustain long term success with the resources? South Carolina just lost their best player to the portal, Colorado lost 4 starters from a NCAA team to the portal, Iowa lost their arguably best player to the portal. Ace Baldwin is going to leave PSU, etc etc etc. The depressing fact is no matter what you do as a coach or program it feels like money trumps all for average Power 5/mid major teams. So our best hope is to scrap together free agents every year and if they succeed expect them all to transfer up. The coaches clearly thought they had some buy in from the local guys and they got burned. Its a cruel system right now

I watched a few MSU-Moorhead games this year. They lost to Mankato in the round of 32 in D2 March Madness. D2 hoops is pretty good if you can get by the poor broadcast/streaming quality when watching on TV. If you just like the game, it's not so bad.
Absolutely - I'm not bashing the quality of D2 play, it's just that if we want to replicate MSU-Mankato we may not compete very well in the Big Ten.

I used to detest the NBA and love CB. It has flipped.

At least in the NBA the contract terms are known, the rosters are more stable, and there are rules that at least give teams some semblance of a chance to compete.

If I'm going to watch professional basketball, I'll watch the league with the best players that's not in utter chaos every offseason.

NBA >>>>>>>>College Basketball. I can't believe it has come to this.
Nobody benefits more from the destruction off college athletics than the pro leagues.

You are flat out going to lose fans with an ever changing of roster. I don't blame players getting paid. I can only imagine how i could of set up my financial life at at ages 18-22 if i would of invested $25,000 or $100,000 then and now at age 45 sitting on a beautiful future. But as a fan now it SUCKS to lose players and start all over. I'm slowly not investing into sports donations. It feels more and more like throwing away good money after bad.

Not so fast. See my post above regarding Women's CBB and transfers. 331 D1 schools had at least one transfer last season. The NIL money pouring in probably isn't quite as much (although Caitlin Clark likely is one of the richest amateur athletes in the USA).
I saw the post and reacted to to it. I just don’t think the problem is as deep in women sports as men. It’s there to be sure but not nearly as prevalent.

I took it more as following a team less likely to be decimated by NIL.
Right - the part of the comment I was disputing was "the U should have started following their blueprint years ago"

But how many can sustain long term success with the resources? South Carolina just lost their best player to the portal, Colorado lost 4 starters from a NCAA team to the portal, Iowa lost their arguably best player to the portal. Ace Baldwin is going to leave PSU, etc etc etc. The depressing fact is no matter what you do as a coach or program it feels like money trumps all for average Power 5/mid major teams. So our best hope is to scrap together free agents every year and if they succeed expect them all to transfer up. The coaches clearly thought they had some buy in from the local guys and they got burned. Its a cruel system right now
First, you have a competent coach who wins when he does have talent. And then yes, you try and build up some NIL funds. We do OK with football. We're getting there with basketball. No we will never outbid Kansas or Ohio State for players. But it starts with having a competent coach who runs a system and can coach up average talent to a higher level. Ben is not capable of that.

Oh my. Terrible news. This could be an NIL negotiating move. Perhaps he would be happy to stay if we can match

You are flat out going to lose fans with an ever changing of roster. I don't blame players getting paid. I can only imagine how i could of set up my financial life at at ages 18-22 if i would of invested $25,000 or $100,000 then and now at age 45 sitting on a beautiful future. But as a fan now it SUCKS to lose players and start all over. I'm slowly not investing into sports donations. It feels more and more like throwing away good money after bad.

Every program has to deal with this.

There are many teams that win that have less NIL/financial advantages than MN does.

I saw the post and reacted to to it. I just don’t think the problem is as deep in women sports as men. It’s there to be sure but not nearly as prevalent.
There's less money floating around the women's game. That's just reality.

Payne is 100% doing the right thing. His future as an NBA player is questionable but he is worth a ton in college. He has to find a way to make as much money now out of his basketball skills as possible. I hope that our local businesses realize that they can help and need to help if the U is going to have competitive basketball going forward. IMO it will take a million dollars + this year to field a decent team.

Rick Pitino's idea was the right one. Set up a salary cap per team and let the schools pay the money. Otherwise the sport is going to be ruined- if it hasn't been already. I am sickened by what has happened to college sports.

Why would any ANY AD risk paying a coach big time money without solid NIL backing? It would be illogical to waste legit department dollars to hire a coach when all it takes is for the sleazy money to come in and lure players away.
We do have NIL funding. There's not a lot of clarity, but I'd guess we're closer to the middle of the pack in the Power 6 than the bottom. I think people are over-reacting on that front.

Good job Ben!
This isn't Ben's fault. My guess is Ben told him that he would do everything he could to help him get a competitive NIL offer here. It is smart of Payne to bargain. If I were Ben I'd be thinking about dropping a few hundred grand into an NIL fund earmarked for his own players. If he doesn't get some funds - he's going to be on the streets.

Just guessing, but I bet it's easier to get people to open their checkbooks with what TJ did in his first few years there than what Johnson did with his first few years here.
ISU has always had great backing and fan support for hoops. If something is needed, it will be taken care of.

I hope it's izzo that offered him the NIL so his "if everyone comes back" comment rings even more hollow.

Top Bottom