Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

Why would this be so shocking? Athletes lie all the friggin time.
Because there are still people out there that haven't figured it out yet. They get all bent out of shape over what coaches and players say and can't grasp the concept that what is said might not always be the way they honestly feel.

Group dynamics are tricky and there are often sub groupings and “informal leaders” under the surface and behind the scenes. Jealousies and resentments are not uncommon on sports teams or work teams, especially when there is a limited amount of a desired commodity (in this case, PT, publicity, and maybe NIL). As someone who has been a part of both work and sports teams as a member and a leader, I know how insidious and powerful dissent can be and how difficult it is to turn the tide once things start going south. Teams are powerful social systems. Sure, the coach and assistants lead and are ultimately responsible, but the players communicate a considerable amount apart from the coaching staff. Just because they hoop together doesn’t mean they will bond. These players ranged in age from 25-18, and came from a wide range of backgrounds. I played on a team with dissent. I know what it is like. And sitting on the bench (not referring to Payne here) breeds discontent. So does losing.

Of the five in the portal now, Keinys was the only one that didn’t get All Big Ten Academic honors.

Garcia and Fox are the only ones left on that list.

Pharrell is a cerebral kid. Late in the year, this team really stopped playing together as a team and some kids were out to “get theirs”. The staff allowed this to go on. Fairly sure Minnesota offered a competitive nil package. Pharrell wasn’t looking for that.

Also, read between the lines. They played Sunday. Pharrell probably had an exit interview w Ben late Monday or more likely Tuesday. He was in the portal wed am. What does that mean? His mind was already made up.
I’ll assume your info is good. Don’t take this as Pharrel bashing. This is generally true of kids, especially cerebral ones.

Sounds more like emotional immaturity.

This would be a missed opportunity for him. .

90+% of the time this is the 20 yr old being wrong vs the older coaching staff. Then again this happens all the time with kids. I can include myself on multiple occasions at or around that age.

Unfortunately, he’s been Enabled by the ability to run instead of confronting one’s situation. These are the times sticking really informs you.

This how toughness is developed.and Captains are forged. You have to learn as a player to communicate with teams, coaches, and confront your emotions that are protected by ego.

Its missing the value of that “darkness before the dawn.”

As someone who’s been playing and or coaching sports (and been on many varied work teams) for over 35 years, All teams go through these situations. Working through them is the process.

I’ll assume your info is good. Don’t take this as Pharrel bashing. This is generally true of kids, especially cerebral ones.

Sounds more like emotional immaturity.

This would be a missed opportunity for him. .

90+% of the time this is the 20 yr old being wrong vs the older coaching staff. Then again this happens all the time with kids. I can include myself on multiple occasions at or around that age.

Unfortunately, he’s been Enabled by the ability to run instead of confronting one’s situation. These are the times sticking really informs you.

This how toughness is developed.and Captains are forged. You have to learn as a player to communicate with teams, coaches, and confront your emotions that are protected by ego.

Its missing the value of that “darkness before the dawn.”

As someone who’s been playing and or coaching sports (and been on many varied work teams) for over 35 years, All teams go through these situations. Working through them is the process.
Missed opportunity on the soft skills, perhaps. Cashing the big check can't be diminished either.

I think part of why the PP announcement bothers us is that we keep lumping it together with the Carrington and JOJ announcement. To me, that doesn't really make sense.

1. There is no way Carrington or JOJ believe they will have significant NIL opportunities elsewhere.
  2. If you believe the story (this has been in the making for months), that makes even less sense. JOJ was still getting significant run through January, so the decision to leave would have been made when they were all significant run?
My opinion is the Payne has been approached with significant NIL opportunities by more developed programs and he started weighing his options. I hate it, but that makes sense logically and in some ways I cannot blame a kid. It's a the risk of the slow build and the unknown quantity at HC. It's also just the nature of college basketball now (look throughout the Big 10).

JOJ's reasons to leave are obvious and I have my own opinions on what the deal is with Carrington.

Long story, longer . . . I think they're all leaving for different reasons but they are friends and sort of came to these decisions together but for completely different reasons.

Its hard to fathom (to me) that a kid who had a solid year on an up-and-up team would just bail. He will likely make more money elsewhere, but beware the Law of Unintended Consequences.

Payne was becoming the face of the franchise. Dinkeytown athletes was selling a retro jersey with his name on it. I don’t get it, unless he doesn’t like the coach or he was offered a bag of money.

ON'3 ranks Morgan much higher than Payne. Haven't seen him play but he can't be that bad. Hope they can get him.

Last edited:

travis branham's big men in the portal as of yesterday:

payne listed
I think he should. His low on3 rating made me think perhaps I was more evaluating high because I liked the kid, and thus biased.

Banham writes he has “good hands.” I feel like that is something Payne needs work on. Or maybe it’s something similar, that just make sit look that way?

I think he should. His low on3 rating made me think perhaps I was more evaluating high because I liked the kid, and thus biased.

Please don't tell me you're going to believe some online sports rating over your own eyes from extensive viewings. These ratings aren't created by a large group of all-knowing wise men after thorough application of rigorous standards. I'm certainly not saying that Payne is the epitome of a complete player but the list of programs reported to have contacted him so far pretty much speaks for itself.

Please don't tell me you're going to believe some online sports rating over your own eyes from extensive viewings. These ratings aren't created by a large group of all-knowing wise men after thorough application of rigorous standards. I'm certainly not saying that Payne is the epitome of a complete player but the list of programs reported to have contacted him so far pretty much speaks for itself.
There is pretty much no baggage with Payne the way he plays. Plays hard, quiet and goes about his business. Even the free throws improved. Ok, not a shooter, but the number of teams that have already, and will line up to take him speaks for itself. On a blue blood roster, he's not quite tall enough, but he's still a load inside to complement a 6'11" or 7 footer alongside him.

Will be interesting to see where he lands for sure.

There is pretty much no baggage with Payne the way he plays. Plays hard, quiet and goes about his business. Even the free throws improved. Ok, not a shooter, but the number of teams that have already, and will line up to take him speaks for itself. On a blue blood roster, he's not quite tall enough, but he's still a load inside to complement a 6'11" or 7 footer alongside him.

Will be interesting to see where he lands for sure.
Here's hoping whatever team he picks pulls an Ohio State next year.

Sure, but the flaw in what your writing is that it assumes I knew the other players well enough. The rating is relative.

When he goes against other players I’ve seen, I’m sure I was biased. Absolutely positive. I like Payne. That’s just knowing oneself.

A website independent of MN giving a rating needs to be considered, but not anchored. As I mentioned earlier, I’ll figure the context out later, after more entrants are unveiled, and more independent ratings come.

I also know enough about ratings and their statistical noise and bias to understand their designed to confuse humans. There’s plenty we could note. It’s just the start.

I suspect On3 is decidedly simple modeling. My expectations is they overweight certain stats. It somwthing I’ll use to figure out both Payne, and those we brong in without paying anyone else. First, I need to understand their contextual clues.

Here's hoping whatever team he picks pulls an Ohio State next year.
As long as he stays out of the Big 18, Payne is a kid I can continue to root for. That's one thing that ticked me off about Battle is that he popped up at a Big Ten program.

As long as he stays out of the Big 18, Payne is a kid I can continue to root for. That's one thing that ticked me off about Battle is that he popped up at a Big Ten program.
I thought the same thing. I almost posted it would be cool to see what he could do at an Oregon or Ole Miss-type program. It hit me that Oregon will have him right back in-conference. But man Altman can still coach 'em up, as can Beard.

Payne was becoming the face of the franchise. Dinkeytown athletes was selling a retro jersey with his name on it. I don’t get it, unless he doesn’t like the coach or he was offered a bag of money.
He and Garcia were featured on the poster this year. And he didn't even start for much of the season!

Top Bottom