Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

Yep. All the major Texas schools have sports-mad oil wealthy boosters. Tough to compete.
Yep. All the major Texas schools have sports-mad oil wealthy boosters. Tough to compete.
I'll go with you on the sports-mad. School pride for sure. But really misinformed to say "oil wealthy." It's super diverse in terms of how people have found success. . .Finance, Tech, Commercial Real Estate, etc. I suspect no different than anywhere else. A lot of school pride, hence they end up giving for example the huge campaign SMU pulled off prior to joining the ACC.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts every day would be Christmas.

Yes team had potential to be very good. But this was never a team anyway, just a potential one.
White & Mbakwe both committed. So it wasn't a longshot or anything. It should have happened. And they both kept begging to be on the team for months. But we kicked them out.

Don't need math to pump iron and go to church!
Lol.

But you gotta admit...I'm pretty much right on that.

And it's pretty foolish for us to care so much about if some kid...who doesn't know us from Adam...who has zero real connection to the U of MN...is good at putting a ball through a hoop.

He isn't within 4% of the average.

In only three years, his .254 winning percentage dragged down an already-awful 20 year average by 4 percentage points.

This is like if a baseball player is hitting .200 and then goes 0-12 over a three game stretch to drop the average to .188. He did not hit within 12 percentage points of what was his average.

Despite this exchange, I still think you know more about math than you do basketball.
Lol.

Ok, I gotcha. It did seem like Ben's record would be more than 4% worse. But I didn't bother to think about it too much. As you know, I couldn't care less about his first 2 years' record while building a team from scratch. It's not like winning 2 B1G games or 6 B1G games makes any difference.

He doesn't do that stuff either.
I'm not Badass Billy Gunn. Or Robert Morris. I've been off & on. But on lately...and going to keep going.

The way this off-season is going...I certainly don't think watching Gopher games is going to take up any of my time or provide anything worthwhile for me this upcoming season.

Little guy? Minnesota is the 9th largest school in the country by on-campus enrollment.
Big in size and academics, small in prestige with basketball. We are the little guys on the big stage of the college ball world and chumps compared with the major players in Division 1 who have massive supporters and boosters funding them.

Little guy? Minnesota is the 9th largest school in the country by on-campus enrollment.
You don’t … really think that much of anything having to do with the academic or research operations of a schools has any correlation to athletics, I would hope?

You don’t … really think that much of anything having to do with the academic or research operations of a schools has any correlation to athletics, I would hope?
Of course not, but smart administrators figured out thirty years ago that giving sport’s importance grows affinity for the school and raises money for things other than sports too. Wisconsin is a good example. Lots of universities in the south have upgraded on the back of sports programs giving them recognition.

Big in size and academics, small in prestige with basketball. We are the little guys on the big stage of the college ball world and chumps compared with the major players in Division 1 who have massive supporters and boosters funding them.

We're the big guy compared to ~80% of the rest of division one basketball.

Not specifically aimed at you, but I've seen some comments about being against intra-conference transfers. I'll point out that MN just got one of those from Oregon.
It’s splitting hairs so it doesn’t need to be argued over, but I personally reject for this year that that’s true. He didn’t play in the Big Ten last year.

Next year forward, OK

That may be true but it's a little guy competing in a conference with bigger guys. Florida International University is in the top 10 too but they're not a big guy in sports. Rutgers is as well.

According to Parker Fox NIL pays 1/2 up front with the remainder paid evenly throughout the season/year. Curious where you read Payne's receiving $ 500k up front. $ 1MM total or $ 500k up front seems unlikely.
He said that is how DTA pays the NIL here for U of M athletes. He said other places might do it differently. Perhaps A&M pays it all upfront.

According to Parker Fox NIL pays 1/2 up front with the remainder paid evenly throughout the season/year. Curious where you read Payne's receiving $ 500k up front. $ 1MM total or $ 500k up front seems unlikely.
The report I saw said Payne got a $500K down payment. It's on this board somewhere.

Top Bottom