Pat Reusse: Kill, Mason share winning formula of running, playing defense

You felt he should praise the Gophers for that?

No, just surprised nobody else got that impression from the article since he didn't spend any time at all talking about the defense. Maybe no one actually read it.

One or the other bud

Yes, but over time I forget which times I actually blacked out... Save a few epic story nights. I just know that I got drunk twice - once before and during the game, and then after I passed out and woke back up. And I was no less angry at any point in the evening.

Anyone else notice Reusse has dropped the "Country Jer" stuff lately?

i miss Glen Mason, and that is so so sad. We didn't win a Big Ten title, but we beat every team at least once. That was fun. We haven't been better since.

I hope this will happen again, but until it does, you can't bash the Masonites if you followed Brewster for longer than 10 seconds.

Mason is the last Gopher coach to beat EVERYBODY IN THE BIG TEN... until another coach comes along & does the same he will be the bar at Minnesota for a while, deal with it...

You are the resident carpologist around here, aren't you?

We have, indeed gotten everything we so richly deserve by being the way we have been... We really have NOT "gotten" it around here.

So, kuato, you are certainly welcomed to be the resident carpologist around here. But, I don't think you have ANY moral ground to try to have some fun at the expense of someone else.

Not sure why he keeps bringing up fish in his rant. But, Kuato, since you evidently know something about them, do you think we can keep the Asian carp from migrating up the Mississippi into other rivers here in Minnesota?

Mason is the last Gopher coach to beat EVERYBODY IN THE BIG TEN... until another coach comes along & does the same he will be the bar at Minnesota for a while, deal with it...

Not a single person has denied that Mason set the bar for future coaches to try to top, but many agree that that fact is damning indictment of the ineptitude of the program.

No one revives the anger against Mason as well as the wren. The Mason Standard wasn't good enough. He wanted Minnesota to be his final stepping stone to tOSU job. He failed. His standard was below our neighbors to the South and East. Unacceptable.

Bringing up Brewster's failings is immaterial. Time to be looking forward, not to belabor the recent past like I am doing. Kuntree Jer is going to get us where we belong. He even has some administration support.

After that game I got black-out drunk and woke up next to a girl in my dorm that I didn't mean to. That was a horrible night.

Since monetary compensation for services rendered is so near and dear to you, can we assumed you did the right thing and paid her? :)

Let me pile on.......

How many times have we been told that Kill will be judged on his won-loss record.

Now, apparently, there is a new category - wins, losses, and close losses.

Wren, I understand (mostly) what you're saying. A 3-point loss is better than a 50-point loss --- but at the end of the day, it's still a loss. In fact, as a fan, those close losses are a lot harder to live with. when a team gets blown out by 50 points, there's no way to rationalize the game - you got your butts kicked, period. But, when a team loses by a few points, you go back and replay every mistake, every penalty, every incomplete pass, every missed tackle, etc. Those close losses are the ones that stay with you.

And, whether you like it or not, the loss to Michigan (after blowing a big lead) happened with Glen Mason as head coach. That one goes on his resume - and it's a game that Gopher fans would like to be able to forget - but we can't.

Going forward, Wren, I just hope you will apply the same criteria to judging Jerry Kill's record that you apply to Mason.

Norwegian: as a fan, to me there is not much worse than a 55 or 58 point head-bashing at the hands of a fellow Big Ten/B1G Conference member. We are SUPPOSED to be competitive with these programs. I will always rather have a heart breaking loss than a 55 or 58 point head-bashing administered by a team from the Gophers Conference. To walk tall...to walk proud even in the face of a very painful...or narrow defeat is what rivalry is ALL about. To not even "show-up" is really demoralizing and drives a program further into the bottom of the conference. In order to EVER rise in the Conference Standings there will most likely be some heart-breaking narrow and close and unlikely losses.

How on earth can anyone with any sense of pride just "laugh off" a 55 or 58 point head-bashing, Norwegian?

How on earth can anyone with any sense of pride just "laugh off" a 55 or 58 point head-bashing, Norwegian?

The same way we laugh off getting outscored 31-7 in the fourth against Michigan, or blowing a 31 point lead to Texas Tech or blowing a 24-0 lead to NC State or blowing a 21 point lead to Northwestern or blowing a 10 point lead with less than 3 to play against Wisconsin.

Now, Norwegian: I am OUT of here. I have said what needed to be said. Let them have at me and my contrasting way of thinking about Golden Gopher Football.

?

Norwegian: as a fan, to me there is not much worse than a 55 or 58 point head-bashing at the hands of a fellow Big Ten/B1G Conference member. We are SUPPOSED to be competitive with these programs. I will always rather have a heart breaking loss than a 55 or 58 point head-bashing administered by a team from the Gophers Conference. To walk tall...to walk proud even in the face of a very painful...or narrow defeat is what rivalry is ALL about. To not even "show-up" is really demoralizing and drives a program further into the bottom of the conference. In order to EVER rise in the Conference Standings there will most likely be some heart-breaking narrow and close and unlikely losses. How on earth can anyone with any sense of pride just "laugh off" a 55 or 58 point head-bashing, Norwegian?

Losing that Michigan game the way we did was the turning point in gopher football. Getting thumped by Iowa and watching our goal posts get tore down by a bunch of idiots wouldn't have happened if mason could coach with a big lead against good competition. You make some good points from time to time about mason, but mason is the reason the program fell apart. He was the leader that decided to always "play to not lose" rather than play to win. But the reason gopher football fell apart IMO is grinning glen blowing the lead vs the wolverines.

The same way we laugh off getting outscored 31-7 in the fourth against Michigan, or blowing a 31 point lead to Texas Tech or blowing a 24-0 lead to NC State or blowing a 21 point lead to Northwestern or blowing a 10 point lead with less than 3 to play against Wisconsin.

?

+1 I'll also add the 50+ point losses were due more to the previous coaching staffs ineptitude than the current coaching staff which is trying to do things correctly so those types of losses don't occur again.

Let me pile on.......

How many times have we been told that Kill will be judged on his won-loss record.

Now, apparently, there is a new category - wins, losses, and close losses.

Wren, I understand (mostly) what you're saying. A 3-point loss is better than a 50-point loss --- but at the end of the day, it's still a loss. In fact, as a fan, those close losses are a lot harder to live with. when a team gets blown out by 50 points, there's no way to rationalize the game - you got your butts kicked, period. But, when a team loses by a few points, you go back and replay every mistake, every penalty, every incomplete pass, every missed tackle, etc. Those close losses are the ones that stay with you.

And, whether you like it or not, the loss to Michigan (after blowing a big lead) happened with Glen Mason as head coach. That one goes on his resume - and it's a game that Gopher fans would like to be able to forget - but we can't.

Going forward, Wren, I just hope you will apply the same criteria to judging Jerry Kill's record that you apply to Mason.

Of course there is a category of "close losses". Teams that turn the corner go through that period. Alverez went 1-10, 5-6, 5-6, Rose Bowl. Look at the 5-6 seasons and you will see "close losses". Look at Lou Holtz before he left. We had "close losses" such as the Oklahoma 13-7 game.

Close losses is a step. It is a painful one... especially if you don't get to the next level which is turning those close losses into wins. That is why Mason got fired.

Losing that Michigan game the way we did was the turning point in gopher football. Getting thumped by Iowa and watching our goal posts get tore down by a bunch of idiots wouldn't have happened if mason could coach with a big lead against good competition. You make some good points from time to time about mason, but mason is the reason the program fell apart. He was the leader that decided to always "play to not lose" rather than play to win. But the reason gopher football fell apart IMO is grinning glen blowing the lead vs the wolverines.

That is really quite the little spin you have there lakesgopher. So, have you been happy with the results since you people decided being able to compete with the CornBlues was "the END?"

How long has it been since a single Gopher Head Coach could compete...actually COMPETE with a Lloyd Carr led Michigan team for THREE seasons in succession and actually even BEAT Michigan in that third game? How long will it be until it happens again?

No, lakesgopher: you people pretty much destroyed Gopher Football. Coach Kill has a chance...but..IF you run him off, following his last season there will be at LEAST a decade of cellar dwelling in the Conference for my Golden Gopher Football Program. Thanks a lot lakesgopher....thanks for nothing.

That is really quite the little spin you have there lakesgopher. So, have you been happy with the results since you people decided being able to compete with the CornBlues was "the END?" How long has it been since a single Gopher Head Coach could compete...actually COMPETE with a Lloyd Carr led Michigan team for THREE seasons in succession and actually even BEAT Michigan in that third game? How long will it be until it happens again? No, lakesgopher: you people pretty much destroyed Gopher Football. Coach Kill has a chance...but..IF you run him off, following his last season there will be at LEAST a decade of cellar dwelling in the Conference for my Golden Gopher Football Program. Thanks a lot lakesgopher....thanks for nothing.

Hahahahahaha i had nothing to do with glen masons job nor any other job at the U. I have never sent hate mail or any positive mail to our admins and I don't have the financial power to dictate things at the U. So no, I had nothing to do with anything related to gopher football. I do think mason had a chance to take the U to the next level and IMO that was the Michigan game. When he lost, it felt like things started to fall apart for old glen. I don't get your overall hard on for glen mason? It's so strange, I really think you have some bedroom shrine where u put lip stick on while wearing whitey tidies and stare at grinning glens dominant big ten record...

That is really quite the little spin you have there lakesgopher. So, have you been happy with the results since you people decided being able to compete with the CornBlues was "the END?"

How long has it been since a single Gopher Head Coach could compete...actually COMPETE with a Lloyd Carr led Michigan team for THREE seasons in succession and actually even BEAT Michigan in that third game? How long will it be until it happens again?

No, lakesgopher: you people pretty much destroyed Gopher Football. Coach Kill has a chance...but..IF you run him off, following his last season there will be at LEAST a decade of cellar dwelling in the Conference for my Golden Gopher Football Program. Thanks a lot lakesgopher....thanks for nothing.

What Masons teams were competing with was merely a Michigan program in decline under Lloyd Carr. If that makes you feel better then so be it but I'd like to keep my bar a little higher than just competing with programs that are declining or middle of the big ten.

What Masons teams were competing with was merely a Michigan program in decline under Lloyd Carr. If that makes you feel better then so be it but I'd like to keep my bar a little higher than just competing with programs that are declining or middle of the big ten.

Getting to gloat at Christmas time with my Michigan in laws in 2005 would have been no less enjoyable had Michigan been 0-12.

Ahhhhhh.... Lloyd Carr. Nobody was a bigger fan of Lloyd Carr than the entire OSU fan base. Carr did a LOT to help rebuild Buckeye football, and even allow the Gophers to compete with the Wolverines periodically.

Ahhhhhh.... Lloyd Carr. Nobody was a bigger fan of Lloyd Carr than the entire OSU fan base. Carr did a LOT to help rebuild Buckeye football, and even allow the Gophers to compete with the Wolverines periodically.

Lloyd Car won a National Championship at Michigan...the first one in around a half a century. That's right...Bo Schembeckler NEVER did win a NC for the CornBlues. Michigan was pretty damn tough in 2003...2004...and not so shabby in 2005. Hart was a pretty fair running back. They were plenty solid...and it has been one heck of a long time since any Minnesota team even came CLOSE against Michigan one year...let along three. In most of your lifetimes, Michigan has DOMINATED my Gophers so totally you people don't have a clue.Even that rich rod character smoked our Gophers, unfortunately.

The day you people try to punk Michigan and Lloyd Carr is the day I KNOW just what out of touch pretenders you are...

I remember when people fell for Brewster's car salesman talk... I remember how we layed an egg against a horrible 3-9 Michigan team...

A program on the decline? Really? Those snotty, whine and cheese Michigan fans were spoiled by the 1997 National Championship and expected more of the same, right away. Their hero Bo never sniffed an National Championship in almost 25 of his "legendary" tenure, and Michigan was rotten for years before Bo Schembechler made them good, yet Carr had to take the fall. Losing to OSU is what did him in. Losing to Michigan is what did Cooper in to some extent. Overall results tend to take a backseat to the rivalry.

The Lloyd Carr Michigan teams during the Mason era had plenty of talent. I am pretty sure they were undefeated when they went into Columbus for a shot at he NC game in 2006. (?) There was some push to put the both the winner and loser of that game back in the BCS game so Michigan was still fairly elite.

Brewster's 2008 team could not even compete with the worst(Dickrod) Michigan team in my lifetime at the Metrodome, so I would not be so quick to diminish the accomplishments of those Mason teams against Michigan. (or Ohio St, Penn St, or MSU)

OSU won that game on C-Bus something like 39-38.

Wisconsin was a heart breaking loss. Michigan was unacceptable.

Michigan - MN dominated the game until halfway through the third quarter. It should have been physically impossible to lose that game. Yet Mason found a way. Firing Mason and the entire coaching staff could legitimately have been justified after that game. They weren't competitive in that game. They dominated then chose to lose. That should not be celebrated.
Mason brought us to level of respectability, but I can think of atleast four other games besides Michigan that I thought were "physically Impossible" to lose

We don't coach, recruit or line up in the trenches on Saturdays from 1968 to present day, the fans did not destroy gopher football, the fans didn't go 1-11 in 2007, the fans didn't blow the scUM game in 03 or any other *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty moment that has happened the past 50 years to this team.

Top Bottom