Pat Reusse: Bob McNamara a staple in Gophers-Iowa football lore

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Reusse:

He’s 82 now, and has gone through chemotherapy for cancer “in the lower region’’ (Bob’s description), and he’s moving slower … but still moving in support of the Gophers and football.

He’s started a “Locker Legacy’’ fund — making daily calls in a push to get 100 former Gophers to donate $2,500 to sponsor the locker with their number on it in the Gibson-Nagurski Building.

“We’re trying to raise $250,000 that Jerry Kill can use for whatever need he sees,’’ McNamara said. “We kept the number low, $2,500, so it’s affordable for most of our guys.’’

McNamara will be at the on-campus stadium Saturday for another important game vs. the Hawkeyes.

“I haven’t missed a home game in, I don’t know, 30 years,’’ he said. “This should be a good one. I like our chances.’’

http://www.startribune.com/sports/225602662.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

I really dislike Reusse, but that is a hell of a job to get some quotes from Bob McNamara just before this game.

I know he may just be setting us all up, but it sure seems like Reusse has been pretty kind to the Gophers recently. I almost think the whole Souhan debacle has really made some of our media examine just how weirdly adolescent they have been towards this program in the recent past.

I really think Pat would rejoice if the Gophers did well. He doesn't want to watch Vikings games either.

I thought it was a very nice column.

Top Bottom