Pat Fitzgerald suing Northwestern for $130M for wrongful termination

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per ESPN:

Former Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald filed a wrongful termination lawsuit Thursday against the university and president Michael Schill, in which he is seeking in excess of $130 million for lost earnings as well as reputational and punitive damages.

Fitzgerald alleges Northwestern unlawfully fired him for cause July 10, three days after announcing a two-week suspension as part of corrective measures from a university-commissioned hazing investigation into the program. Northwestern's investigation, led by attorney Maggie Hickey, found that while claims of hazing from a former player were largely corroborated, there was not sufficient evidence Fitzgerald and other coaches and staff had knowledge of the incidents.

Attorney Dan Webb, who filed the lawsuit, said Northwestern fired Fitzgerald based on "no new facts, no new developments whatsoever, zero." Schill said July 8, hours after The Daily Northwestern reported details of the hazing allegations from the former player, that he "may have erred" with the initial discipline for Fitzgerald. Schill fired Fitzgerald two days later.

Webb said Fitzgerald and Northwestern reached an "oral agreement" before the two-week suspension was announced that the coach would face no further discipline from the university.

"The fact that he was terminated based on no rational reasons or facts whatsoever, the fact that they've gone out and destroyed his reputation as one of the best football coaches in America, based on no legitimate reason or evidence, is disgraceful," said Webb, a former U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois who now serves as co-executive chairman of the Winston & Strawn law firm. "It's despicable conduct on behalf of Northwestern. My client and his family are entitled to their day in court for justice."

Go Gophers!!

An oral agreement. If it isn’t in writing, well I have a hard time feeling sorry

I absolutely believe they took advantage of the situation in order to get out of his contract for cause.

Hope they have to pay the full amount, if there is evidence found that supports such a hypothesis.

@short ornery norwegian

Yeah that is something ..... I'd hate to be a fan of the one f'ing team they beat ................................................ ...................... you wouldn't want to be a fan of that team, and be bringing up those facts ............................................... ............. ...............................

Has any university president ever set fire to their own institution like Northwestern. Michigan State? When all is said and done, the total damages are going to be incredible.

I’m sure Northwestern has hauled any enrolled perpetrators into disciplinary adjudication hell by now, alerted the police to the identity of the dozens if not hundreds of sexual assaulters over the past 15+ years.

Wait, what? They want money? 🙄

Settlement posturing.

The question probably is what amount will Fitzgerald receive, his remaining contract or additional punitive damages.

Northwestern has put itself in an impossible situation. Either they had evidence of hazing and did nothing, or they do not have evidence and responded to allegations in a student newspaper. They refuse to release the Hickey report. No player save one apparently ever reported hazing to a coach or school. This is assumed to be the complaint from the QB transfer, Richardson, who was alleged to have a grudge:

The lawsuit also claims no Northwestern player, coach or staff member ever reported hazing allegations directly to Fitzgerald. According to the claim, an anonymous complaint was submitted to the athletic department in August 2022 of "serious misconduct and hazing," which Northwestern and police investigated and determined was unfounded.

Webb noted Fitzgerald was proactive with anti-hazing training and told players, including freshmen and transfers, of a zero-tolerance policy within the program. Players also had several outlets to report hazing and mistreatment.

Allegations Fitzgerald should have mind-reading capabilities about alleged hazing would, I assume, never hold up in a court of law. He apparently did (as did Northwestern) have mechanisms for reporting, investigation, training. The Crump complainants are depending on the court of public opinion to pressure NU into settling for $$.

They've got a mighty fine law school at Northwestern. They might need the entire faculty to put this self-inflicted inferno out.

That would be funnier if we weren't the 1....
I honestly didn't even think about that. I just saw the tweet and thought it was funny. didn't even occur to me that MN was the "1 win" until someone pointed it out to me on this thread. But that's on MN for not playing better.

Top Bottom