Pat Caputo: P.J. Fleck to Michigan could make sense

“Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy.”
– Leo F. Buscaglia

So then go through, and which of these were a guy getting "upgraded" in program stature, vs a lateral move?

Arguable, Franklin made the largest jump up, from Vandy to Penn State.

You could argue Riley leaving OR St to take over for Pelini at Neb, where he had gotten them, was an upgrade. Could possibly argue Mullen leaving Miss St for Florida was an upgrade? But not as sure on that one.

As much as we hate it, would probably be seen as an upgrade to go from Minn to Mich.
I think everyone of those jobs is a clear upgrade except for Bielema moving from Wisconsin to Arkansas. Florida > Miss State without question. There is definitely a case to say that Kiffin's move to USC from Tennessee is lateral, but I think it was an upgrade.

Michigan is a clear upgrade over Minnesota, save for the fact they are in a tougher division. I don't think there are many people who would argue otherwise.

I think everyone of those jobs is a clear upgrade except for Bielema moving from Wisconsin to Arkansas. Florida > Miss State without question. There is definitely a case to say that Kiffin's move to USC from Tennessee is lateral, but I think it was an upgrade.

Michigan is a clear upgrade over Minnesota, save for the fact they are in a tougher division. I don't think there are many people who would argue otherwise.
Depends on what you define as upgrade, obviously.

Miss St is not an upgrade over Wash State, in my opinion. He had Wash St within an inch of going to the CFP. That's impossible at Miss St, save a once in a generation Dak Prescott run ... and they still didn't pull that off then. EDIT: ok, actually 2014 Miss St and 2018 Wash St are actually very comparable. So still, lateral in my book.

Mich St is in the toilet. Colorado also was close to the CFP a few years ago (made it to the PAC champ game, but got blown out by Wash). Not a clear upgrade, given the rebuilding job Tucker has to try to pull off at Mich St.

Florida State was a top national team a few years ago. A&M hasn't made the CFP or been in a position to, at least since joining the SEC.

And so on.

"odd play" to come into a thread about PJ Fleck job change speculation to talk about collecting threads about PJ Fleck job change speculation?
If you try to avoid threads about this but post in this one, you are lying about trying to avoid threads like this

Thus, odd play

So you think Fleck thinks he can't get it done at Michigan?
Not necessarily

you think Fleck thinks he can’t get it done at Minnesota?

beat Wisconsin and Ohio state last year and Minnesota is in the playoff

Top Bottom