Part 1 of 3: Dave Telep Talks Recruiting and Impact of Message Boards

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
In a special three part Q&A series, GopherHole's Rob Litt spoke with the nation's leading college basketball recruiting analyst, Dave Telep. In this three part series, Telep will discuss how he turned a passion into a profession, the countless hours he spends in gyms evaluating thousands of high school players each year, some of the crazy stories that coaches and families have asked him and in part 3, Telep gives his analysis of Tubby and the staff as recruiters as well as some quick thoughts on the Gophers' in-coming class:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1173

I really loved this question and answer:

GH: If you could change anything about high school recruiting, what would it be?
DT: Expectations. We are ruining our kids by hyping them up pre-high school. Our kids don't have an opportunity to succeed and fail without having the spotlight shined right on them. I am vehemently opposed to the ranking, exposure, etc of pre-high school kids. In terms of actual recruiting, I'd like to see kids be able to sign when offered and have the kids and schools held to their word. De-commitments are a pet peeve. All parties need to make better decisions and be held accountable

There's way too much weeding out of kids going on as early as grade school. Influential parents get their kids on certain teams, and those teams are feeder teams to the junior high/middle school, while other talented kids are left out due to politics. Then you have the kid who's 6'1 or 6'2 in 6th grade and is treated like the next big thing, but then he never grows another inch. He's treated as a superstar at 12 or 13 and is playing JV ball as a Senior , if he's still playing at all.

I also like the idea of kids being able to sign when offered. I think this would greatly reduced the practice of offering freshmen and sophomores over time. At first, we would see an increase in younger kids getting offers, but eventually it would go the other way when coaches figured out they could not accurately predict 15 and 16 year olds to the college game.

I really loved this question and answer:

GH: If you could change anything about high school recruiting, what would it be?
DT: Expectations. We are ruining our kids by hyping them up pre-high school. Our kids don't have an opportunity to succeed and fail without having the spotlight shined right on them. I am vehemently opposed to the ranking, exposure, etc of pre-high school kids. In terms of actual recruiting, I'd like to see kids be able to sign when offered and have the kids and schools held to their word. De-commitments are a pet peeve. All parties need to make better decisions and be held accountable

There's way too much weeding out of kids going on as early as grade school. Influential parents get their kids on certain teams, and those teams are feeder teams to the junior high/middle school, while other talented kids are left out due to politics. Then you have the kid who's 6'1 or 6'2 in 6th grade and is treated like the next big thing, but then he never grows another inch. He's treated as a superstar at 12 or 13 and is playing JV ball as a Senior , if he's still playing at all.

I also like the idea of kids being able to sign when offered. I think this would greatly reduced the practice of offering freshmen and sophomores over time. At first, we would see an increase in younger kids getting offers, but eventually it would go the other way when coaches figured out they could not accurately predict 15 and 16 year olds to the college game.

I remember a player literally named Superstar Edwards at Chicago MLKing HS about 20 years ago. He was a 9th grader expected to become the greatest player ever from Chicago.

Well, that didn't happen. Edwards never played at King HS or anywhere else. He flamed out for reason(s) unknown.

In a special three part Q&A series, GopherHole's Rob Litt spoke with the nation's leading college basketball recruiting analyst, Dave Telep. In this three part series, Telep will discuss how he turned a passion into a profession, the countless hours he spends in gyms evaluating thousands of high school players each year, some of the crazy stories that coaches and families have asked him and in part 3, Telep gives his analysis of Tubby and the staff as recruiters as well as some quick thoughts on the Gophers' in-coming class:

I hope that some of the people on this board who have been bashing the players read this. Message Boards are great tools for recruiting. Please stop the negative and help the coaching staff to recruit some top players.

Go Gophers

Yes, if Rajon Rondo ever makes his way over to the GH, your merciless posts about his abilities would likely hamper his ability to continue leading his team into the NBA Finals and compiling triple-doubles along the way.

Yes, if Rajon Rondo ever makes his way over to the GH, your merciless posts about his abilities would likely hamper his ability to continue leading his team into the NBA Finals and compiling triple-doubles along the way.

No very funny. Try again.

Go Gophers

I concur with Coolhand.

We can only surmise that Rajon Rondo gets through the day by using daily affirmations from Stuart Smalley.

I hope that some of the people on this board who have been bashing the players read this. Message Boards are great tools for recruiting. Please stop the negative and help the coaching staff to recruit some top players.

Go Gophers

Some of us couldn't read this often enough. Maybe it will sink in and bring out a disire to contribute rather than detract.

I concur with Coolhand.

We can only surmise that Rajon Rondo gets through the day by using daily affirmations from Stuart Smalley.

SS, I respect your opinion very much. Do you remember how negative you were last year about our RPI? Based on your posts, this year Gophers have the best RPI so far. Did I not ask you to be patient. I told you that things would change and they did.

As I mentioned in my Rondo post, I did that to remind people that it is not about the number of stars. It is about how well a player fits into a system.

Go Gophers

To be clear, yes, I have been "negative" about the Gophers' nonconference home scheduling under Tubby. It has improved this year, and I haven't neglected to mention that.

That said, would still like to see some home games (as part of home-and-homes) or even neutral-site games at the Target Center or Xcel Center vs. schools from the other 5 major conferences. In Tubby's 4 years, Minnesota is the only school in the Big Ten that has failed to schedule a nonconference home game (outside of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge) vs. a BCS opponent. Not one.

I should also mention that I do not make a habit of tearing down Gopher players. Some general criticism, yes, but not of the "So and so sucks" variety. There's a difference.

To be clear, yes, I have been "negative" about the Gophers' nonconference home scheduling under Tubby. It has improved this year, and I haven't neglected to mention that.

That said, would still like to see some home games (as part of home-and-homes) or even neutral-site games at the Target Center or Xcel Center vs. schools from the other 5 major conferences. In Tubby's 4 years, Minnesota is the only school in the Big Ten that has failed to schedule a nonconference home game (outside of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge) vs. a BCS opponent. Not one.

I should also mention that I do not make a habit of tearing down Gopher players. Some general criticism, yes, but not of the "So and so sucks" variety. There's a difference.

Thanks SS. Yes, I do agree with you. I'd like to see those games too. Who knows, maybe we'll get them next year. Like I said, your opinion is always respected by me and everybodyelse on this board.

Go Gophers

(Tubby once said to media) about Kelenna Azubuike: Built like Tarzan. Plays like Jane.

I also agree it would be nice to see some top notch programs come to Williams to watch them play, like a Kentucky, UNC, Duke, etc. And I realize that other teams do make this happen. But it is not always easy to get these schools to agree. If I am coach K and Tubby Smith wants me to come to Williams Arena and play ... idk how I feel about that. Yeah, I am confident in my team to win that game, but at the same time its college basketball, anything can happen- especially with that home court advantage. And do I really need that loss on my tourney resume?

And as for from the perspective of Tubby Smith, as much as the Selection Committee says its more about who you play, not record. There has not been much evidence of this when they actually decide. Do you risk losing to those higher quality teams and losing your NCAA positioning? He has to try and schedule games that are very winnable, but also going to help tourney standing to win. I do think playing those more difficult teams is helpful for toughening the team up for the Big Ten though.

It is just a tough task to schedule the right opponents and get them to want to schedule you as well.

Would I love to see Kentucky come to the barn? Absolutley. But if that game is a loss, at the end of the year, it is just another number in a column. It is a tough spot for coaches to be in to figure out how to have a strong schedule without too much risk for ruining your NCAA hopes. Regardless of your seed, and regular season totals, if you get into the tourney. Anything can happen.

Would I love to see Kentucky come to the barn? Absolutley. But if that game is a loss, at the end of the year, it is just another number in a column.

No. The selection committee does actually take "good losses" into account, so as to reward teams who create tough schedules for themselves.

No. The selection committee does actually take "good losses" into account, so as to reward teams who create tough schedules for themselves.

In some cases it works that way, but I know that was why Virginia Tech's reasoning for being so upset at not getting in. They felt they scheduled very tough, lost the games, and then didn't get into the tournament. For teams like Kentucky, Duke, etc. a "good loss" won't hurt as much as it would for a bubble team. I obviously can't know this for sure, as no one really can, but I think if, for example, Wisconsin won 80% of their games with a horrid nonconference schedule, there'd be no question they were in. But if Illinois wins 60% of their games with a great nonconference schedule, i dont know that they get in for sure.

Who said it had to be the big boys?

Who mentioned that the opponents (at The Barn) had to be Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, etc.? Seems to me you're trying to put words in my mouth. I'm asking for BCS opponents -- any BCS opponents -- to visit The Barn. Nowhere did I say it has to be the big boys, though that certainly would be a nice bonus.

For the record, here's a list I've compiled since Tubby took over the reigns. Apparently, we are the only Big Ten school that has found it impossible to get a BCS school to come to our venue (outside of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge). Northwestern's been able to do it (3 times). Iowa's been able to do it (2 times). Penn State's been able to do it (2 times). Even future Big Ten member Nebraska (2 times) has been able to do it. But not Minnesota?

BIG 10 NONCONFERENCE HOME GAMES vs. BCS SCHOOLS (SINCE 2007-08)
WISCONSIN (7)
Colorado (2007-08)
Georgia (2007-08)
Marquette (2007-08)
Texas (2008-09)
*Duke (2009-10)
Marquette (2009-10)
*NC State (2010-11)

MICHIGAN (6)
*Boston College (2007-08)
UCLA (2007-08)
Duke (2008-09)
*Boston College (2009-10)
Connecticut (2009-10)
Kansas (2010-11)

INDIANA (5)
Connecticut (2007-08)
*Georgia Tech (2007-08)
Kentucky (2007-08)
Kentucky (2009-10)
*Maryland (2009-10)

NORTHWESTERN (5)-- 2010-11 nonconference schedule yet to be released
Stanford (2007-08)
DePaul (2008-09)
*Florida State (2008-09)
Stanford (2009-10)
*Georgia Tech (2010-11)

OHIO STATE (5)
Florida (2007-08)
*North Carolina (2007-08)
West Virginia (2008-09)
*Florida State (2009-10)
South Carolina (2010-11)

IOWA (4)
*Wake Forest (2007-08)
Iowa State (2008-09)
*Virginia Tech (2009-10)
Iowa State (2010-11)

MICHIGAN STATE (4)
*NC State (2007-08)
Kansas (2008-09)
South Carolina (2010-11)
Texas (2010-11)

NEBRASKA (4)
**Arizona State (2007-08)
Rutgers (2007-08)
Oregon State (2009-10)
**USC (2010-11)

PENN STATE (4)
Seton Hall (2007-08)
*Virginia Tech (2007-08)
Virginia Tech (2009-10)
*Maryland (2010-11)

PURDUE (4)
*Duke (2008-09)
*Wake Forest (2009-10)
West Virginia (2009-10)
Alabama (2010-11)

ILLINOIS (3)
*Clemson (2008-09)
Vanderbilt (2009-10)
*North Carolina (2010-11)

MINNESOTA (2)
*Virginia (2008-09)
*Virginia (2010-11)

*denotes ACC/Big Ten Challenge
**denotes Big 12/Pac 10 Hardwood Series

Who mentioned that the opponents (at The Barn) had to be Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, etc.? Seems to me you're trying to put words in my mouth. I'm asking for BCS opponents -- any BCS opponents -- to visit The Barn. Nowhere did I say it has to be the big boys, though that certainly would be a nice bonus.

My intention was not to put words into your mouth, I knew what you meant that it needed to be just a school from a major conference. I could have clarified my point from, say, the perspective of a middle of the pack team, maybe Washington, do they want to come to the barn and risk a loss or do they want to play Southwestern Tech State and essentially guerentee a win?

it is doable, and I am not trying to say do not even try. But I guess my point is, its not always easy to make it work and isn't as easy as picking up the phone and saying, hey come play us this day. (Not saying that's what you think it is, or anyone in particular thinks it is, just using that to clarify what my point is - scheduling can be difficult)

"But I guess my point is, its not always easy to make it work and isn't as easy as picking up the phone and saying, hey come play us this day. (Not saying that's what you think it is, or anyone in particular thinks it is, just using that to clarify what my point is - scheduling can be difficult)."

I understand scheduling is not as easy as 1, 2, 3. It can be difficult. But again, that hasn't prevented any of the other Big Ten programs from being able to pull it off at least once for the last 4 seasons. The "no one wants to play at Minnesota" excuse falls on (my) deaf ears. I'd rather hear Joe Esposito be honest and say, "We're not willing to play a home-and-home against another team from a major conference because that would require us to go on the road."

What is so cool is that now that we understand how much of an impact we have, all of the posts going forward will positive. Ra Ra Sky U Ma, etc. Imagine if the local press climbs on board. We will have the best football and basketball programs in America.

I can't wait!!! Wait a minute we are talking Minnesota here are we not. I may have to wait.

Top Bottom