PA Announcer Jamie???

Zeppelin Gopher

Reaction score
Anyone know why he missed the first half on Saturday? His replacement was an unmitigated disaster...terrible voice for it, barely audible and making tons of mistakes. Thankfully order was restored with Jamie's smooth baritone returning for the start of the 2nd half.

Didn't even noticed the difference. Although I remember some mistakes.. though I don't recall when they happened.

The guy in the first half was the band announcer.

Jamie had a work function for his "day job" on Saturday morning. He had informed the booth that he would be late and so they had the band announcer take over the duties until he arrived.

As a friend of Jamie's, it is nice to hear that folks noticed the difference and think he's doing a good job.

Outside of announcing football and hockey, Jamie is a SUPER good guy. We are lucky to have him.

We were wondering what was going on as well, such as yelling the "First down" phrase at the wrong times, etc. Glad to hear it wasn't the normal guy, as we thought if it was there were some real issues he was having.

That solves my confusion as well. I couldn't put my finger on it during the game, but something was off, and I thought Jamie's (nice to know our excellent PA announcer's name finally) tone sounded a little higher than usual. Now I see why. Hope he's there for the entire NIU night game!

I did enjoy the moment in the first half when the sub announcer mistakenly said it was 3rd down and called for noise, realized (or was informed of) his mistake, and corrected himself with "Correction...2nd down. But you can be loud anyway!".

That was classic.

Jamie had a work function for his "day job" on Saturday morning. He had informed the booth that he would be late and so they had the band announcer take over the duties until he arrived.

As a friend of Jamie's, it is nice to hear that folks noticed the difference and think he's doing a good job.

Outside of announcing football and hockey, Jamie is a SUPER good guy. We are lucky to have him.

The guy is great for football and especially for hockey. I for one hope he never tries to step back like he did from hockey a few years ago. That was rough. I felt bad for the new guy as those are awfully big shoes to fill.

I noticed it right away... and all the mistakes that came along with it. The "you can be loud anyway" comment was funny though. I like the regular announcing at the brickhouse.

Jamie is awesome, and I loved his announcing at the hockey games back when I was in college. He's awesome for the simple fact he adds the "Rah" to the end of the Rouser over the PA system.

I noticed it right away... and all the mistakes that came along with it. The "you can be loud anyway" comment was funny though. I like the regular announcing at the brickhouse.

"You can be loud anyway" sums up why I hate the regular PA announcer.

it is annoying and embarrassing that the gophers have a PA announcer that has to get the crowd fired up for 3rd down. The PA announcer should be used to list players, down and distance, not to be a cheerleader or to fire up the crowd. It is embarrassing for the team and for fans who are aware of game situations.

"You can be loud anyway" sums up why I hate the regular PA announcer.

it is annoying and embarrassing that the gophers have a PA announcer that has to get the crowd fired up for 3rd down. The PA announcer should be used to list players, down and distance, not to be a cheerleader or to fire up the crowd. It is embarrassing for the team and for fans who are aware of game situations.

wet blanket alert

I totally agree with Rosemountian. It IS embarrassing for a PA announcer to be a cheerleader for a Big Ten football team. This isn't arena football. Hockey is a different story. Everyone seems to go Michael Buffer announcing that. I'm sure your friend Jamie is a great guy, it's just his announcing style I have a problem with. It's the cheerleaders job to fire up the crowd, not his. Lets show some class in our presentation.

I totally agree with Rosemountian. It IS embarrassing for a PA announcer to be a cheerleader for a Big Ten football team. This isn't arena football. Hockey is a different story. Everyone seems to go Michael Buffer announcing that. I'm sure your friend Jamie is a great guy, it's just his announcing style I have a problem with. It's the cheerleaders job to fire up the crowd, not his. Lets show some class in our presentation.

You must HATE the Purdue train whistle and the Northwestern wildcat roar then.

The highlight for me was his pronunciation of Quesa-DILL-a (as in dill pickle)

The highlight for me was his pronunciation of Quesa-DILL-a (as in dill pickle)

That was the prior week. He said it that way as a joke, but apparently Taco Bell didn't think it was funny because he received a terse email about it.

I'm still waiting for my opportunity to be the band announcer. I have plenty of announcing experience, am a band alum, and know the game of football. Even a guy who has been one of the recent band announcers told me I should be doing it. For some reason, though, the band only seems to give former drum majors and music majors high profile gigs - which I am neither. Time to break the trend, band. I promise not to be too negative when they go into those boring low-step-halftime-amoeba-formation routines.

Top Bottom