P.J. Fleck hoping experience will bring improvement

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Lynn:

Coach P.J. Fleck believes last season’s losing campaign isn’t a reflection on the direction of his program. Instead the 40-year old has a lot of confidence in this year’s version of the Golden Gophers, particularly on offense.

After all, the talent in Fleck’s backfield is arguably the best in the Big Ten West. Quarterback Tanner Morgan is a three-year starter, with 6,028 yards through the air and 46 touchdown passes during that span. Not to mention Mohamed Ibrahim is the reigning Big Ten Running Back of the Year, and the only Power Five rusher with two 1,000-yard rushing seasons under his belt.

However, Fleck is mostly excited about Minnesota’s offensive line. When he first took the job back in 2017 there were only four on the roster. Now the Golden Gophers will boast one of the best units up front in the league this fall. It’s mind-boggling that Minnesota hasn’t had an offensive linemen drafted since 2006, but Fleck believes he has more than enough talent in place to change all of that come next April.

Morgan had a solid performance in the spring game, which was a good sign, considering he struggled a lot in 2020. Still, Fleck wouldn’t trade his signal-caller for any quarterback in the conference.

“Tanner Morgan is the heartbeat of our football team,” Fleck said. “He’s 18-8 as a starter, but that’s not what’s important, this guy is the ultimate leader, he has competitive greatness, he’s one of the most competitive people I’ve ever met.”

Go Gophers!!

My biggest personnel questions on offense are whether 2019 or 2020 is the real Tanner Morgan and if we have anyone dynamic enough at WR to give us the explosive plays down the field that we badly missed last season. If both of those questions are answered positively, this team should absolutely be right there in the West. If one of those question is answered positively, I think we're looking at a solild year that gets us back on track (say 8 wins but one of them better be Iowa or Wisconsin can't fall to 1-9 against them). I really don't want to think about what happens if neither of those questions are answered positively (or if Sanford just absolutely sucks which is another possible wildcard).

Agree w you EG. Defense can potentially be average. To be in the top tier of B10 we need offense to have a blowout year. If they don’t, it’s on the O coordinator because there is enough talent their to put points on the board. Time for the coaches to exceed expectations in game day strategy

Failure is growth.

Top Bottom