P.J. Fleck explains Gophers' cautious, run-heavy play-calling from 31-0 victory over Rutgers

Could be me, but I get the feeling that beyond some minor wrinkles, there seems to be a conceding to the impression that we can't throw the ball effectively. The only real lever seems to be the element of surprise. Hard to do if when you get too far behind. It would be interesting to see if running with tempo intermittantly (speeding things up) could loosen things up.

I love the ball control offensive strategy for the Gophs (it helps the defense), but I would love to see the Gophs offense dictate the terms with tempo in certain spots. It seems like defenses are using the "sideline look back" time to substitute and camouflage schemes. Go on attack on occasion.

I love the ball control offensive strategy for the Gophs (it helps the defense), but I would love to see the Gophs offense dictate the terms with tempo in certain spots. It seems like defenses are using the "sideline look back" time to substitute and camouflage schemes. Go on attack on occasion.
I think we agree here. I also think we could draw flags in some scenarios. Random observations say we won't snap the ball with more than 9 seconds on the clock. That was one thing I really tried to narrow in on at Beaver stadium, but due to the views from our section, it wasn't always easy.

I just checked out of curiosity.

Minnesota
358 rushing attempts 65.6% - 223 ypg
188 passing attempts 34.4% - 198 ypg

Michigan
345 rushing attempts 61.9% - 246 ypg
212 passing attempts 38.1% - 224 ypg

The mix isn't that far off when comparing to what many would consider an ideal power oriented offense. MN would need to throw only 2.5 more times per game to have the same percentage as Michigan. The biggest difference is probably timeliness of execution in big moments. It seems like MN has had several key drops or bad throws that would have extended drives or resulted in scores if executed.
No quarrel with the Gopher mix thru Purdue game. If you can (hate to ask), would you derive the Gopher mix thru Purdue game vs. the mix for Illinois/PennState/Rutgers games. Just trying to understand whether PJ’s approach has changed lately, or if the season average tells the story of our recent games. Thanks.

at about 13:26 (start of fourth quarter). The Gophers have been a perfect 6 out of six on 3rd and short...After 3rd and two. Seven of seven. With special teams, Rutgers is again behind in a subplot of field position...

No quarrel with the Gopher mix thru Purdue game. If you can (hate to ask), would you derive the Gopher mix thru Purdue game vs. the mix for Illinois/PennState/Rutgers games. Just trying to understand whether PJ’s approach has changed lately, or if the season average tells the story of our recent games. Thanks.

Here's the split stats for September (thru MSU) and October (since Purdue). They are not what you might think:

September run/pass 69%/31%
October run/pass 61%/39%

Even though the Gophs had a higher pass mix in October, they had a terrible completion percentage and more turnovers. A recipe for losses.

1667438292836.png

Here's the split stats for September (thru MSU) and October (since Purdue). They are not what you might think:

October run/pass 61%/39%

Even though the Gophs had a higher pass mix in October, they had a terrible completion percentage and more turnovers. A recipe for losses.

View attachment 21547

Very interesting. I guess I can see why PJ is so wedded to the run once (if) we get ahead. Use passing early and efficiently to help us score some early points; if we get ahead, dial back the passing dramatically. If we are behind, keep passing and cross fingers. Interesting to see how we open up against Nebraska.

Last edited:

Starting around 2:55 I found the comments interesting.

Very interesting. I guess I can see why PJ is so wedded to the run once (if) we get ahead. Use passing early and efficiently to help us score some early points; if we get ahead, dial back the passing dramatically. If we are behind, keep passing and cross fingers. Interesting to see how we open up against Nebraska.
It is nice to some degree that we are starting to develop an offensive Identity. Sometimes there are growing pains if you don't have all of the right personnel, or the team suffers key injuries.

Interesting that Kristian Hoskins is the first name that comes to KC mind when discussing the younger offensive players.It would be nice to see Hoskins on the field for a play or two, if the game plan allows it. He might have an upper gear, and shiftiness, that isn't common in our current WR corps.

Interesting that Kristian Hoskins is the first name that comes to KC mind when discussing the younger offensive players.It would be nice to see Hoskins on the field for a play or two, if the game plan allows it. He might have an upper gear, and shiftiness, that isn't common in our current WR corps.
According to Gophersports website he made an appearance against Colorado but don't know if that was special teams or on offense.

We are at the point in the season where some of the guys that are going to redshirt might make some appearances as part of the 4 games they are allowed to play. Maybe Hoskins will find his way onto the field in some capacity.

as I said before - The Gophers have proven that they can win games when they are able to run their preferred system. that's great. wins are good.

my question remains: what do they do when the other team prevents them from running their preferred system?

some posters assure us that the coaches have a backup plan. maybe they do. I haven't seen it.

there is a big difference between not throwing because you choose not to.......
and not throwing because you are incapable of executing a successful passing attack.

the first is a choice. the second is a whole different kettle of fish.

When opponents put us "behind the chains", we lose. So far, that is undeniable. That's the bad news.

The good news: not too many teams are able to do that to us, so we win more than we lose.

From this particular perspective, 2023 will be very interesting. With Mo and Tanner gone, the staff may be forced to tailor the offense to players who have different skill sets.

Looking ahead to next season...

There isn't another Mo Ibrahim type runner on the roster. Trey Potts is a decent B1G back, but I can't see him duplicating Mo's production next year. I would be surprised to see any of our backs playing Mo's role, and getting that many carries in 2023.

We will have a new QB behind center. Kaliakmanis obviously has a skillset that is different from Tanner Morgan's. Stronger arm, more athletic. Also less experienced than Tanner.

The offensive line is a huge question mark, in my mind.

The receiver group is neither terrible nor outstanding.

The offense will look very different next season. Will the team be forced to rethink their overall offensive scheme? I have no idea.

Last edited:

Heard this on the Gopher Gridiron Podcast.

Sheds some light on the issues with the passing game.

for the #3 receiver position - all games in October:

Dylan Wright - ran 53 routes - targeted 6 times - 0 catches
Brockington - ran 34 routes - targeted 2 times - 1 catch
-----TOTAL -- ran 87 routes - targeted 8 times - 1 catch

The Gophers are essentially getting no production from that spot in the lineup.
to quote Ryan Burns: "They're just running wind sprints."

Heard this on the Gopher Gridiron Podcast.

Sheds some light on the issues with the passing game.

for the #3 receiver position - all games in October:

Dylan Wright - ran 53 routes - targeted 6 times - 0 catches
Brockington - ran 34 routes - targeted 2 times - 1 catch
-----TOTAL -- ran 87 routes - targeted 8 times - 1 catch

The Gophers are essentially getting no production from that spot in the lineup.
to quote Ryan Burns: "They're just running wind sprints."

That is dismal.

It would be interesting, though, to have some context.

— Every team in the B1G has a #3 receiver.
— Every #3 receiver on every team runs a route on every single pass play.
— Every #3 receiver is #3 for a reason, and will get fewer targets than the #2 and #1 receivers do.

Since they run the same number of routes as the #1 and #2 receivers do, but are targeted less frequently, their % of targets is going to be lower, by definition.

I wonder how our #3 receiver stats compare to the #3 receivers from Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois...

Looking ahead to next season...

There isn't another Mo Ibrahim type runner on the roster. Trey Potts is a decent B1G back, but I can't see him duplicating Mo's production next year. I would be surprised to see any of our backs playing Mo's role, and getting that many carries in 2023.

We will have a new QB behind center. Kaliakmanis obviously has a skillset that is different from Tanner Morgan's. Stronger arm, more athletic. Also less experienced than Tanner.

The offensive line is a huge question mark, in my mind.

The receiver group is neither terrible nor outstanding.

The offense will look very different next season. Will the team be forced to rethink their overall offensive scheme? I have no idea.
Ideally, next year we have a very good RFrosh RB and two very promising true Frosh RBs to augment our experienced RB(s). Might strike gold in the running game.

Ideally, next year we have a very good RFrosh RB and two very promising true Frosh RBs to augment our experienced RB(s). Might strike gold in the running game.

Well, we've had a nice, long stream of running back success at Minnesota.

David Cobb. Rodney Smith. Shannon Brooks. Mo Ibrahim.

People forget that in 2021, after Mo was hurt in the opener against Ohio State, Trey Potts put together a great string of games; he was actually leading the B1G in rushing until he, too, was injured.

Per Randy:

The scoreboard read Gophers 31, Rutgers 0. The time of possession favored Minnesota by a 2-1 margin, 40:02 to 19:58. And the Gophers ran 84 offensive plays to the Scarlet Knights' 45.

Yet late Saturday afternoon, some fans and Gophers observers were left less-than-completely fulfilled with the second shutout victory of the season. Their concern: Where was the passing game?

Indeed, the Gophers ran the ball 53 times and passed it only 21, with quarterback Tanner Morgan completing 14 of those throws for 122 yards with no touchdowns or interceptions. Their longest gain through the air was 21 yards to tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford.

On Monday, coach P.J. Fleck explained his team's strategy against Rutgers. To paraphrase singer Billy Idol, "In the 1:30 p.m. hour, they cried Mo, Mo, Mo.''

"We talked to Mohamed [Ibrahim] and that he might have to be ready to carry the ball 35-40 times, and he did exactly that within a few numbers,'' Fleck said of his star running back, who ran 36 times for 159 yards and three touchdowns. "We knew it would be that type of game.''

Go Gophers!!
It was like watching paint dry. One of the few times I was happy to not be at the game, it seemed like a morgue there, but even watching it on TV I mostly wish I had those 3.5 hours back.

If you can rush pretty well, passing is easier. If you can rush really well, passing is unnecessary.

It was like watching paint dry. One of the few times I was happy to not be at the game, it seemed like a morgue there, but even watching it on TV I mostly wish I had those 3.5 hours back.

The game was a relatively boring, dominating performance; like the game was never in doubt past Rutgers' second possession, yet enjoyable in its own way (for Gopher fans). It reminded me of attending a baseball game.

I wonder if Illinois fans stress as much about Chase Brown's carries as ours do about Mo's? Brown has gone over 30 carries 3 times and 40 carries once.....the horror.

As for that MSU game, we ran the all 48 times and our All-American got 22 of the carries.
Did Chris Brrown have what many thought could be a career-ending injury a year ago?

Did IL have good back-up RB transfer, likely in part, to get some carries?

Did Chris Brrown have what many thought could be a career-ending injury a year ago?

Did IL have good back-up RB transfer, likely in part, to get some carries?
An injury in football can happen on any play so if you play/coach in fear of injuries you are wasting your time.

We know money was the primary reason Bucky transferred. And if Ky left in search of playing time that definitely did not work out for him.

And I don't spend a lot of time on Illinois boards.....maybe their fans obsess about his carries as well.

An injury in football can happen on any play so if you play/coach in fear of injuries you are wasting your time.

We know money was the primary reason Bucky transferred. And if Ky left in search of playing time that definitely did not work out for him.

And I don't spend a lot of time on Illinois boards.....maybe their fans obsess about his carries as well.
So injuries aren’t a function of previous injuries and playing time. Okay.

There were good reasons not to be flinging the ball all over the field against Rutgers.

Only way Rutgers wins is if the offense short field's the defense multiple times. Running the ball made that far less likely to happen.

We don't have a boatload of dynamic receivers (unfortunately). We don't have guys running open all over the field; Tanner has to hit some small windows to make the passing game go.

Goal was to win the game. Playing clean was the way to do it.

October run/pass 61%/39%

View attachment 21547

Identical number of passing attempts but 15 fewer plays (15 fewer rushes). Symptomatic of falling behind and having the defense on the field for a larger portion of the games.

So injuries aren’t a function of previous injuries and playing time. Okay.
They can be, they don't have to be.

Look, if Mo was getting 35+ carries every game I would be concerned as well. Mo has played in 7 games and in 5 of them he finished right around 20 carries. Some of you are acting like we give him the ball 40 times every game.

There were good reasons not to be flinging the ball all over the field against Rutgers.

Only way Rutgers wins is if the offense short field's the defense multiple times. Running the ball made that far less likely to happen.

We don't have a boatload of dynamic receivers (unfortunately). We don't have guys running open all over the field; Tanner has to hit some small windows to make the passing game go.

Goal was to win the game. Playing clean was the way to do it.

Other than our tight end, do we have any dynamic receivers at all? Occasionally Wright looks dynamic but he's invisible most of the time. Maybe they'll surprise us in the last four games.

Your comment about Tanner was right on. I thought his passing into those "small windows" against Rutgers was quite good but some receivers breaking free to give us some 30+ yarders would be very welcome.

Turns out passing effectively is pretty useful.

Top Bottom