Outback chooses NU over UW

I thought there was a rule that said you must take a team with a higher record? Someone clarify please.

I thought there was a rule that said you must take a team with a higher record? Someone clarify please.

Not if all teams with a winning record have a bowl game to go to, then its whomever you want.

Outstanding!!! WI is sick of going to Orlando ... tough luck Becky.

Outstanding!!! WI is sick of going to Orlando ... tough luck Becky.

Yeah, no kidding. Try going almost 30 years playing all your home games where you don't want them. See how sick you get then.

Grumps from a Badger fan

I am majorly pissed about the Chumps Bowl. Last year, we deserved such a crap bowl, but not this year. The Citrus Bowl stadium sucks and is in a bad area (the first year we were there, they pulled a body out of a retaining pond as we tailgated, pre-game). Nor do I like Orlando. Even so, we had reservations, etc. last year for a quick in-and-out at the Champs, but weather kept us in Chicago and we ended up back in Madison "tailgating" at a local eatery. Given how poorly UW played, the dollar outlay was about right (we got everything refunded except our luggage fees and the game tickets - thank you, Expedia).

This year, we are flying to Orlando (weather permitting), staying two days at a (very) cheap Orlando hotel, then hitting the Tampa beaches for four days. A reasonable bowl trip, but I would like to have avoided Orlando altogether. It is bearable for the Cap One, but not the Chumps.

Have fun in Arizona. I honestly would prefer being there.

I'm with TAW. Majorly bummed that the Outback bowl picked NU over the Badgers. Very sick of Orlando. I would have rather gone to the Alamo bowl I think. But, Northwestern beat a good Iowa team and a good UW team, and are playing good football right now. I wanted an SEC matchup, which we've faired reasonably well in recently. I'm liking the Miami matchup though. A win could help recruiting efforts in the so. fla area and it should be a good game.

Weren't the gophs recruiting a few kids from AZ the last few years under brew? Maybe heading back to the Insight could help there.

I'm with TAW. Majorly bummed that the Outback bowl picked NU over the Badgers. Very sick of Orlando. I would have rather gone to the Alamo bowl I think. But, Northwestern beat a good Iowa team and a good UW team, and are playing good football right now. I wanted an SEC matchup, which we've faired reasonably well in recently. I'm liking the Miami matchup though. A win could help recruiting efforts in the so. fla area and it should be a good game.

Weren't the gophs recruiting a few kids from AZ the last few years under brew? Maybe heading back to the Insight could help there.
Maybe, but not nearly as many as they're working on from Texas.

ah, good point. Well, in that case I can see how the continuous oversight by the Alamo committee gets irksome to gopher fans.

The Citrus Bowl stadium sucks and is in a bad area (the first year we were there, they pulled a body out of a retaining pond as we tailgated.

Hmmmmm...sounds like the mysterious body in the water evildoer struck again.

The Citrus Bowl stadium sucks and is in a bad area (the first year we were there, they pulled a body out of a retaining pond as we tailgated.

Hmmmmm...sounds like the mysterious body in the water evildoer struck again.

god damn body in the water evildoer.

I guess that 25,000 attendance NU gets on average for home games really swayed the bowl committee. Makes you wonder what criteria the really use to pick the teams. I guess there's hope for us with this bowl game someday.

I guess that 25,000 attendance NU gets on average for home games really swayed the bowl committee. Makes you wonder what criteria the really use to pick the teams. I guess there's hope for us with this bowl game someday.

I was thinking the same thing. Apparently the Alamo Bowl is the only one that does that. :)

The ESPN write up on their bowl page (in which the rest of their capsules are quite neutral) basically calls the Alamo Bowl out as a mismatch thanks to the poor defense and suspension laced MSU squad.

ESPN said:
This game has the look of a mismatch, as Texas Tech's high-powered offensive attack will be pitted against a suspension-ravaged Michigan State team that ranked 96th in pass efficiency defense, 103rd in pass defense and allowed 29 touchdown passes. The underrated Tech defense played better than expected this season but will be tested by MSU's pass-and-catch combo of Kirk Cousins and Blair White.

Top Bottom