Out of Country

Out State Gopher

Reaction score
Will the Gophers ever play a game out of the country? Notre Dame played in Ireland. The NFL is expanding their Out of Country destinations. Which country makes sense & which opponent heightens the excitement? No, Wisconsin & Iowa are in the USA it's their customs, foods, lack of indoor plumbing & behavior which makes them seem foreign.

Will the Gophers ever play a game out of the country? Notre Dame played in Ireland. The NFL is expanding their Out of Country destinations. Which country makes sense & which opponent heightens the excitement? No, Wisconsin & Iowa are in the USA it's their customs, foods, lack of indoor plumbing & behavior which makes them seem foreign.
Haha I agree, seems like more and more teams are doing it. I heard somewhere that Wisconsin has an Ireland game scheduled in a few years.

Once the Universities of Delhi and Shanghai are added to the Big Ten for more TV households, I'm sure the Gophers will get them in the rotation.
I bet the University of Ulan Bator will have the best home field advantage in the conference 🥶

Would like to see the Gophers go overseas and play a rugby team. That would be fun and exciting and be media buzz worthy.

Can they can set up a game in Winnipeg? Northwestern claims to the "Chicago's Big Ten Team". Maybe the Gophers can be "Canada's Big Ten Team". :LOL:

Largest football stadium in Norway seats 28,000. Largest stadium in Sweden,Friends Arena, seats 50,000. {Aviva Stadium in Dublin, where Notre Dame played, seats about 52,000.}

Going to Wisconsin or Iowa does seem like you’ve entered another world compared to MN anyway.

Would a SEC vs B1G game/games played overseas or Hawaii to generate fan interest, recruiting & revenue? American football is becoming popular throughout the world. Football vs Soccer which is better? College football needs to better increase their Brand awareness worldwide. Canada may be a good 1st step. A football game in the afternoon Hockey game at night.

Option C = Finland. Good stadium in Helsinki. {This option could be off the table after the 2024 season if Trump is elected, however, because he will, in his own words, "invite" Putin to invade and refuse to honor our NATO commitment to defend.}
Your stupidity is bottomless.

I mean, Nebraska played Northwestern in Dublin to kick off the 2022 season. Neither team has a strong tie to Dublin AFAIK (feel free to correct me if I am wrong). I could see the B1G making scheduling an "International" conference game a regular thing, but I could also see them not doing it.

I don't think there would be too much importance placed on the teams having any sort of "ties" to the location. I think if this happened, it would be played in a country that has a budding/growing American Football fanbase, and that would be the only consideration. Maybe, the B1G would also consider how big the local alumni base for each school is, but my guess would be for most schools it would be negligible.

Personally I think anywhere would be cool, but for sake of travel costs and time needed to adjust for the timezone changes, I think Europe is probably the only continent that would be considered.

If the U did get scheduled for an international game, I would certainly consider making the trip. I would hope (but have doubts, because money) that they would send the full marching band and have them do some events in the days prior to the game.

Sure, but Swedish is only #4 in claimed ancestry in this state. The top 4 are:

1) German
2) Norwegian
3) Irish
4) Swedish
You forgot #5 Golden Gopher
Question which continents are native to Gophers? Through my work I have been told not every country knows what a Turkey is or tastes like. They know McDonalds & Pizza.

Sure, but Swedish is only #4 in claimed ancestry in this state. The top 4 are:

1) German
2) Norwegian
3) Irish
4) Swedish
Just remember Swede Hollow. Also drive by Ingebretson's every once in a while. Ingebretson's has many things Nordic cultures. It's just that some Swedish friends have asked me to pick up some items for them.

https://www.ingebretsens.com/

Your stupidity is bottomless.
Τrump said he will invite Russia to attack NATO countries; I'm just reporting what he has said (more than once). Why does simply reporting a true statement--an apparent policy statement--make me bottomlessly stupid?

Τrump said he will invite Russia to attack NATO countries; I'm just reporting what he has said (more than once). Why does simply reporting a true statement--an apparent policy statement--make me bottomlessly stupid?
What NATO countries?

What NATO countries?
In Trump's words, any NATO country that spends less than 2.0% of its national Gross Domestic Product on its defense budget. So, if a NATO country spends, say, 1.75% of its GDP on national defense, and is moving toward the 2.0% goal, Trump would "encourage" Russia to "do whatever it wants" to that country. And the US, with Trump as Commander-in-Chief, would probably renege on its NATO mutual defense commitment. Trump has said this more than once. Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania (all NATO countries that border Russia and rely on NATO's mutual defense pledge for their freedom from Russian attack) are shitting bricks over Trump's possible election. New NATO entrant, Finland, is also very concerned about Russia (with whom it shares a very long border). Poland, bordered by both Russia and Belarus, is also very concerned that Trump means what he says. I listen to what Trump says. I take him at his word.

Read up on Kaliningrad and the Suwalki Gap. This is NATO's Achilles Heel regarding Russian aggression against the Baltic countries. The entrance of Finland and Sweden into NATO have given NATO another, and safer, launching ground from which to counter a Russian attack on the Baltic countries. When Finland and Sweden were neutral, defense of the Baltic countries would have required NATO troops traversing Kaliningrad and the Suwalki Gap. Of course, even with Finland and Sweden added, NATO resistance against Russian aggression will be unsuccessful if the US reneges on side of the mutual defense treaty (that has kept Europe safe for 80 years).

Last edited:

In Trump's words, any NATO country that spends less than 2.0% of its national Gross Domestic Product on its defense budget. So, if a NATO country spends, say, 1.75% of its GDP on national defense, and is moving toward the 2.0% goal, Trump would "encourage" Russia to "do whatever it wants" to that country. And the US, with Trump as Commander-in-Chief, would probably renege on its NATO mutual defense commitment. Trump has said this more than once. Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania (all NATO countries that border Russia and rely on NATO's mutual defense pledge for their freedom from Russian attack) are shitting bricks over Trump's possible election. New NATO entrant, Finland, is also very concerned about Russia (with whom it shares a very long border). Poland, bordered by both Russia and Belarus, is also very concerned that Trump means what he says. I listen to what Trump says. I take him at his word.

Read up on Kaliningrad and the Suwalki Gap. This is NATO's Achilles Heel regarding Russian aggression against the Baltic countries. The entrance of Finland and Sweden into NATO have given NATO another, and safer, launching ground from which to counter a Russian attack on the Baltic countries. When Finland and Sweden were neutral, defense of the Baltic countries would have required NATO troops traversing Kaliningrad and the Suwalki Gap. Of course, even with Finland and Russia added, NATO resistance against Russian aggression will be unsuccessful if the US reneges on side of the mutual defense treaty (that has kept Europe safe for 80 years).
I thank you for demonstrating basic understanding although not sure if you realize 2% is the agreed contribution for NATO participation, not something made up by a U.S. politician.

Further commenting on your above post would be inappropriate for a football thread, just as was your original gratuitous swipe at said U.S. politician.

I thank you for demonstrating basic understanding although not sure if you realize 2% is the agreed contribution for NATO participation, not something made up by a U.S. politician.

Further commenting on your above post would be inappropriate for a football thread, just as was your original gratuitous swipe at said U.S. politician.
I fully understand the nature and origin of the 2.0% Guideline (2006 accord). My original comment was gratuitous, I admit, for a football thread … but when we talk of playing college football games in Europe, with lots of carefree Americans in attendance, we assume a free Europe in which Americans are welcomed not shunned. That’s why I wrote what I wrote. I’m done now.

I mean, Nebraska played Northwestern in Dublin to kick off the 2022 season. Neither team has a strong tie to Dublin AFAIK (feel free to correct me if I am wrong). I could see the B1G making scheduling an "International" conference game a regular thing, but I could also see them not doing it.

I don't think there would be too much importance placed on the teams having any sort of "ties" to the location. I think if this happened, it would be played in a country that has a budding/growing American Football fanbase, and that would be the only consideration. Maybe, the B1G would also consider how big the local alumni base for each school is, but my guess would be for most schools it would be negligible.

Personally I think anywhere would be cool, but for sake of travel costs and time needed to adjust for the timezone changes, I think Europe is probably the only continent that would be considered.

If the U did get scheduled for an international game, I would certainly consider making the trip. I would hope (but have doubts, because money) that they would send the full marching band and have them do some events in the days prior to the game.
Certainly worked out for the fans who might enjoy a pint...

Top Bottom