Our team deserves a louder crowd

You need 22 people, probably less than that. Depending on your powers of persuasion, you should be able to find 21 other people in your little area willing to help out. I wouldn't try this during the NDSU game since its Thanksgiving weekend, but you should have plenty of people ready, willing, and able during Virginia game. If I were you I would seriously consider making some sort of chart, and talking to the people who stand in line before the doors open. Explain to them what you are trying to do, its goal, and why you need their help. You'll be surprised what can happen if you ask. If they are willing to stand in line for an hour just to stand around for another hour, they should be willing to take one for the team.

Any way, if you look at the chart below, the green areas are where you are now, where the cheerleaders are, and where the band is located. When you "super fans" distribute yourselves throughout the student section, your little area will still be fine. The most enthusiastic students will gravitate to that corner on their own.

The yellow areas, in my opinion, will be fine by the time the conference season starts. Yes they aren't threatening to kill anyone after a bad call, but they are engaged in the game, chanting when its needed, etc. I know you want them louder, and they will be by the time the Big Ten season starts.

The gray area is pretty much hopeless. They are reserved seats for god knows who, and won't be students. An enthusiastic student section would probably encourage some of them to be a little louder than the casual fan, but you can't put people there and they will largely do their own thing no matter what.

The red areas are the big question mark. Yes, they are quiet now, but the reason isn't as simple as simple as they don't care or they don't know nothing about basketball.

Problem # 1 is population density. At least for non-conference games, there just aren't as many people there, and the ones who are there tend to be spread out. Less people + more spread out people equals less noise.

Problem #2 is that people stand in these areas specifically because they don't want to be loud and rowdy. This is especially true in the top corners and under the overhang. Putting some loud rowdy people up there and they will get that they are still in a loud zone, and there is no safe zone.

Problem #3 is that some people in the red areas may not know much about basketball. This is where leadership is important. If they have people near them who clearly know about basketball, and are freaking out when the team needs a big defensive stop or after a great hustling play, they will follow your lead.

Problem #4 is that some people don't care. See the solution to problem #3. If they think it is just fine to not even clap during a non-conference game, if you have people near them acting like every possession matters, they will get it, and join in.

Problem #5 is that a lot of Minnesotans, regardless of their age, don't want to stick out. If the 100 people who are closest to them aren't chanting, they will be reluctant to chant themselves. You can unlocks their chanting potential.

Problem #6 is that geographically it is a very large student section, and even if there are students who want to follow your lead (and there are more than plenty) who are sitting on the opposite end of the student section, they can't see you or hear you. You can't make a speech to 2,000 without a microphone, but making a speech to 100 without a microphone is not that hard. You also can't yell at quiet sections to be louder if you can't even see where they are or talk to them. If you are in your spots before the other fans get there, you can tell them as they arrive they are expected to be loud. Heck, even practice a chant or two. Somehow the Barnyard stopped being a participatory experience, and you need to educate the rest of The Barnyard out of that attitude.

On to the graphic below. The light blue circles are an approximation of the number of superfan volunteers and where they should be. Obviously if there are parts of the student section where no one is, putting a superfan there isn't worth it. The yellow areas are fine, and the red areas need help. Concentrate on the red areas, and enjoy being the great revitalizers of the student section.

3066084436_45cb961a8b.jpg

It also wouldn't be a bad idea for the 22 or so of you to differentiate yourselves somehow, so people will see you are the super fans and will follow your lead. I know of you guys wears some sort of atrocious plastic gopher head hat. If you all wore those, people who know who you are, and would probably be more likely to follow you because of your semi-official status. If you go for the silly hats or some otherway to differentiate yourselves, for the love of god don't revert to sitting back in your little corner, because it would only reinforce and amplify that your little corner has the cheering covered, and the rest of us can be free-riders.

And if others have ideas to revitalize the student section, chime in. The way I see it, is that we have about a month to whip the student section into shape for the MSU game, so lets get crackin.

This is a good idea. I'm going to contact the Barnyard Board and try to get them onboard with it, maybe have them help to orchestrate it. It's tough to just get my couple buddies i go with to get this done, hopefully the byb can help.

I would take the NDSU game/pregame as the opportunity to talk it up and get feed back from the 10 or so rows behind you, and then implement it for VA, and perfect it during Cornell and High Point.

As a general comment on the student section and the 'aging' of the season-ticket base...How much do student season tickets cost? And have they ever considered making them free?

Minnesota is a huge school and should have no problem having a full student section year-in, year-out. Here in VA they do not have that problem, even though they have had even less sucess then MN in recent years and have a smaller student-body. Biggenst reason? The tickets are free for students. So even when JPJ is 1/3 empy, it's still louder then heck because the student section is full (if school is in session.)

Even Florida gives away the tickets in it's student section. Billy Donavan insisted on it.

This effects not only the current student section, but the future ticket-base. If people go as students because the tickets are free, they may become avid life-long fans and buy tickets for the next 30 years. Instead we continue to charge students more then most any schools I've heard of, and as a result our student section for both basketball and football is disappointing at best (especially football).

I know it would be short-term revenue hit, but they really need to consider making the student tickets free, with some restriction to ensure the holders show up, or they lose thier tickets. This would greatly improve the atomosphere at both the Barn and TCF, and pay dividends down the road.

I hope some of you in position to do so will press this matter. Minnesota has been short-sighted on this for too long.

Interesting concept; i would love to see them free! but that also means they would lose more than 200k in revenue...i dunno, i'm glad i'm not in charge of that decision.

The Wild, T-Wolves, and Gophers all played at home last night. Genious move by the scheduling powers that be. However, the Wild will always outdraw and be a better ticket than the Gophers and the Timberwolves are irrelevant so I guess it shouldn't matter.

I know it's apples to oranges, but was Tubby this gutless with his NC schedule at UK???

Art, that is a great Sid impersonation. On 'CCO, any time more than one team has a home game on the same night, Sid complains about it.

As a general comment on the student section and the 'aging' of the season-ticket base...How much do student season tickets cost? And have they ever considered making them free?

Minnesota is a huge school and should have no problem having a full student section year-in, year-out. Here in VA they do not have that problem, even though they have had even less sucess then MN in recent years and have a smaller student-body. Biggenst reason? The tickets are free for students. So even when JPJ is 1/3 empy, it's still louder then heck because the student section is full (if school is in session.)

Even Florida gives away the tickets in it's student section. Billy Donavan insisted on it.

This effects not only the current student section, but the future ticket-base. If people go as students because the tickets are free, they may become avid life-long fans and buy tickets for the next 30 years. Instead we continue to charge students more then most any schools I've heard of, and as a result our student section for both basketball and football is disappointing at best (especially football).

I know it would be short-term revenue hit, but they really need to consider making the student tickets free, with some restriction to ensure the holders show up, or they lose thier tickets. This would greatly improve the atomosphere at both the Barn and TCF, and pay dividends down the road.

I hope some of you in position to do so will press this matter. Minnesota has been short-sighted on this for too long.

Free tickets have been pressed for years. Some big wig needs to step in and fill the revenue gap. Until that happens there will be no free tickets. Then again, I have a hard time complaining when season tickets come out to $5 or so per game. The product on the court and the hype surrounding it is the issue, not the cost of tickets.

the NDSU game crowd

Another weak crowd today. The student section isn't great, but the other thing I noticed today was that the Rouser doesn't get played when it should. When Clem was here, the band would play the Rouser right after a big run that caused a timeout--today in the second half, when Sampson III had his little spurt, the lead grew by a bunch, the crowd was excited, a timeout was called, and then. . .a Boston Scientific commercial (heart of the game or some nonsense like that). The amount of advertisements that Dick J has to read is pretty amazing.

Thanksgiving weekend

A good chunk of the student section is home for the weekend.

It is always a weaker crowd during any holiday weekend or vacation week.

I haven't done anything, I couldn't make it to the game yesterday to talk anything over. I think it'll get loud on its own for this game, since its an acc opponent.

We (some barnyard members) are going to be strategizing before the game to do this. If we have enough people show up early, this should work.

Sounds great. Remember, core principle: Act crazy around non-crazies, non-crazier will become crazy.

And really, this is national TV, we need more than 4 rows acting like idiots (idiots being a positive in this case).

Top Bottom