our crappy "fans"

Hahahaha...wow. So you just took this opportunity on Gopherhole to show hate towards the Republican Legislators. Wow... especially in this state where we have a bunch of dingdongs being elected as mayors and congresswomen. You opened this can of worms. Republican legislators against the U? Who the hell the drove the bills the get the stadium built...? Get your facts right...but as a liberal you will never see straight.

There's a reason Cruze is one of the bottom 3 Gopherhole posters of alltime.

Minnesota sports fans are NEVER going to buy into Gopher sports teams the way they buy into the Vikings, Twins, Wolves, and Wild. There are more than a few reasons for this but probably the biggest one is the extreme dislike (if not hatred) that a large percentage of Minnesotans have for the U of M and everything associated with it. Although it is primarily a liberal/conservative and urban/rural thing, there are other reasons for it as well. There is evidence for it everywhere. I see it all the time with my family, friends, co-workers, and just being out and about in public.

The state legislature is a prime example of where dislike for the U exists. Republican legislators never seem to miss an opportunity to criticize the U for it's failings and oppose their funding requests no matter how well justified they are. This always gets covered in the news media and people everywhere in the state see it and read it on a regular basis. None of this was happening when I was growing up in the 1960's and the Gopher football team was winning Big 10 championships and Rose Bowls. It was a time when the love for the U as an educational institution and economic driver for the state was almost universal among Minnesotans.

It is frightening if you take a second to think that when you are walking or driving around that there may be someone as idiotic and just a plain crappy person as Cruze who may be passing by you. Just a dump of a human.

Hahahaha...wow. So you just took this opportunity on Gopherhole to show hate towards the Republican Legislators. Wow... especially in this state where we have a bunch of dingdongs being elected as mayors and congresswomen. You opened this can of worms. Republican legislators against the U? Who the hell the drove the bills the get the stadium built...? Get your facts right...but as a liberal you will never see straight.

I have disdain for the orange turd and his fans but this is the wrong board to share your thoughts. It belongs on the off-topic board.

Anyone else get a strange private message like this from this guy related to this thread? Really strange.

message.JPG

Looks like a burner account or a new account. No posts. So random and so strange.

Looks like a burner account or a new account. No posts. So random and so strange.

I don't think i've gotten many of those here, but on other sites I've gotten a lot of those.

It is very strange, like man if you don't like that person why go to the trouble of sending a "you suck" type message?

This Nebraska game is certainly a great opportunity for Gopher football to capture the attention of people. While Nebraska is not the program they were in the mid 90's, it's still a big-name conference opponent. You are playing a rare night home conference game with the chance to go 6-0. The weather will also make things memorable.

The Gophers have not had a "moment" like this since 2003. If they can seize this moment and go to 6-0 with the chance to beat Rutgers and Maryland, this town will be electric and everyone will be talking about the Gophers-Penn State game on November 9 just like we experienced heading into that Friday night Michigan game in 2003.

If the Gophers can truly seize this moment and take care of business the next 3 weeks, they will be the talk of the town.

The thing with the casual fans is that they do not follow the Gophers - or college football - very closely.

They respond to names they have heard of. To the casual fan, Nebraska is still a big name, because they've heard it before. same thing with Penn State. casual fans have heard of Penn State. They may not have a clue whether the team is good or not this year, (some may not even know that PSU is in the B1G) but at least they've heard the name.

So, if the Gophers really want to 'move the needle' with the casual fans and national media, they need to win games over teams that people have heard of.
Again, it's not about the hard-core fans. It's about appealing to the casual fans, and maybe winning back some of the fans who left due to ticket price increases.

The thing with the casual fans is that they do not follow the Gophers - or college football - very closely.

They respond to names they have heard of. To the casual fan, Nebraska is still a big name, because they've heard it before. same thing with Penn State. casual fans have heard of Penn State. They may not have a clue whether the team is good or not this year, (some may not even know that PSU is in the B1G) but at least they've heard the name.

So, if the Gophers really want to 'move the needle' with the casual fans and national media, they need to win games over teams that people have heard of.
Again, it's not about the hard-core fans. It's about appealing to the casual fans, and maybe winning back some of the fans who left due to ticket price increases.

They also vote in the AP poll.

In the end, you’re either a fan or you’re not. You each have your reasons. I love the Gophers and I love college football.

Even when I’ve been down on the football team, I’ve pretty much kept it to myself. Complaining and bitching never helps. It’s in the moment. Support eventually goes a long way.

It’s always easier to be negative in general when the Gophers and MN sports teams have had so many disappointing moments. Then when they end up being right, it’s not a letdown for them.

I think it’s easier for a casual fan to follow a pro team over a college team. The names and faces don’t change as often. I know many “big Vikings fans” that maybe really watch 3-4 games a year but they still know most of the team.

I don't think i've gotten many of those here, but on other sites I've gotten a lot of those.

It is very strange, like man if you don't like that person why go to the trouble of sending a "you suck" type message?

Mine was from BleedGopherOverrated. If the weirdos don't like my comments and want me out. I am doing something right.

Private Message.jpg

I think many fans have a spot inside them that want the gophers to succeed but they just don't plan their schedules around watching or following the team. I'm kind of that way with the wild. I'll rarely watch them (maybe 10-15 full games a year and pieces of others). I will never plan my night around their game but if nothing is on and they are i'll turn them on and cheer like I'm a diehard for one game.

Point is I'm a MN guy and I'll always want a team that says "Minnesota" on it to win.

In my experience that is what I run into when it comes to the gophers. People will watch them if there is nothing else on but won't plan around them. If they continue to tune in and see them win who knows.

Anyone else get a strange private message like this from this guy related to this thread? Really strange.

View attachment 6357

I’ve been tempted to post about this. I have received about 10 over the past month or so from a few screen names. Common theme...
1. They don’t like bleed
2. They think I’m a “big boy”
3. They want to watch a game via Skype
4. They think I should join GI

I like being called big boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been tempted to post about this. I have received about 10 over the past month or so from a few screen names. Common theme...
1. They don’t like bleed
2. They think I’m a “big boy”
3. They want to watch a game via Skype
4. They think I should join GI

I like being called big boy.

Is that a gentler way of saying "husky"?

Personal preference for me. My dad was a charter Season ticket holder for the Vikings. I’ve been to many games.

The crowd there is very serious, but often ugly. Gopher fans care, but they seem to understand that nice weather, making burgers, and sharing time with friends has value beyond winning. Visiting fans are fun to meet. I used to moonlight doing Viking security and let’s say that visiting fans were not always treated with respect.

College football is more fun.

A fellow at work is a Purdue grad who's lived here for probably 30+ years...his wife is from here so that makes sense.

Anywho he's as good a Gopher fan as many a native...good for 2-3 games at TCF a season...follows the team close enough to have a football conversation...but of course roots for PU when it's us versus them. This is the same for his adult son who was raised here and too is a Boiler grad.

They'll be watching tomorrow night from the armchair on the big screen just like us...hoping for a Gophers win.

I'm not choosy about a fan's roots. I hope that his grandkids will go to the U and carry on from there.

In the meantime, yes it's frustrating but maybe this is the year it starts to turn. I know that my workmates wonder if I have any shirts, jackets, or coats that aren't Gophers apparel? They certainly know where my loyalties lie.

Is that a gentler way of saying "husky"?

Oh, never thought of that. Could be?
I figured he heard the news I was potty trained.

I got this:
Face the Facts GH sucks head to GI.

Also Bleedgopher sucks.

Love you

Then two more that said I suck. Mixed feelings.

Regarding the theme of this thread. During PJ's first year in 2017, my dad who at best is a casual Gopher fan, scoffed that while "at coffee" with his friends they joked about what clown PJ is. That was 2017.
This year he has called me prior to each Gopher game to find out what channel they are on.

I suspect interest is growing for various other fans.

It would help if the local media gave a $hit. PA in particular. He’s interested this weekend because JD Spielman is on the other team.

I’d love it if they ever invited him on s Columbus radio show and completely exposed him.

It does not have to be mutually exclusive. Mike North in Chicago is no prince but he knows twice as much about the Bears as PA knows about the Vikings. He also knows more about Northwestern and Notre Dame than PA knows about the Vikings.

Top Bottom