OT: Oregon may reinstate Blount (aka Mike Tyson in cleats)

GoAUpher

Section 246
Reaction score
Wow...Oregon's season gets back on track by smoking Cal and suddenly they're talking about reinstating LeGarrette Blount. Interesting...

I'm pretty "meh" about the whole deal. He deserved a harsh punishment for that BS but I doubt he'd have gotten a whole season suspension if it hadn't been caught so perfectly as to garner replay on ESPN every 2 minutes for the next week. But the timing is extremely shady IMO.

I'm sure this will ignite the whole argument over our own team's legal superstars, but I thought it was worth sharing.

he has already missed 3 games and its just kind of a coincidence they are talking of lifting the suspension. he has been working out with the team daily showing up for all team activities and been working hard. everyone makes mistakes. plus he will probably miss this this week too.

I hope he does get re-instated. The punishment was way to severe IMO.

I agree that he should be allowed back. A suspension like this was going to "F" the kid over badly. But what I found interesting is that Oregon never mentioned the possibility of the suspension changing for good behavior until now. The timing is bad is all I'm really saying...waiting until you are again a Pac-10 title/BCS berth candidate creates questions about propriety.

I still don't think he should be re-instated. The punishment fit the crime to a tee.

"Mike Tyson in cleats?"

Guess I missed the story of when Blount raped that beauty pageant contestant in a hotel room...

"Mike Tyson in cleats?"

Guess I missed the story of when Blount raped that beauty pageant contestant in a hotel room...

Yea, after I put that up I remembered there was a lot of extra nonsense tied to Mike that has nothing to do with Blount. Powerful punch was really all I meant by it. But once the thread is up you can't edit the title...

I will be shocked if they put him back on the team. One he sucker punched the Boise player, then took a swing at his own teammate THEN went after a fan. If he had done each of those things in separate games he'd have a much longer suspension than just the past three games.

I have to wonder what beating Cal and turning their season around has to do with this story.

Gophergrad,

Prepare to be shocked.

I think it is going to happen. There wouldn't be this much chatter out there if UO wasn't seriously considering it. And I don't think they'd consider it if they weren't open to doing it.

He'll be back. And to me it represents the money grab that is college athletics.

haha. the more I think about it if he comes back it'll be ok because I watched that clip like 20 straight times. Its hilarious. Hopefully he can keep up the entertainment.

The punishment was way too severe. It was imposed too fast as well.

In all seriousness anyone who advocates Blount missing the whole season has to advocate kicking Whaley off the team becasue what he appears to have done was much worse.

I adovcate neither but would have both on a sohrt leash.

Good Idea

I thought the punishment was way too harsh to begin with. Losing three or four games is a pretty tough punishment for a kid that loses his cool. Yup, it was done for national TV but he was provoked. Nothing happened at all to the kid who provoked him. In a game situation the kid I think would have gotten a 15 yard penalty for taunting.

I can never figure out how punishment systems work. It changes from situation to situation. To go to a pro circumstance. Burris a wide receiver from from New York gets 2 years for accidentally shooting himself. Another wide receiver Stalworth gets 24 days for killing someone when he was driving drunk.

Kelly screwed up by saying the season

Blount was allowed to practice. Therefore, was still part of the team.

If I was Kelly, I would have said an indefinite suspension. If Blount showed up to practice and team functions. If he didn't cause any trouble, he should be able to ask for reinstatement after x amount of weeks.

The question is: Is 3 weeks enough? Only Coach Kelly can answer that.

Not eligible for reinstatement

until Stanford game, so that's November 7th...still a month away. Pac-10 has issued statement saying U of O has to appeal to them before he can be reinstated...he has a long way to go.

Have you read Kevin Whaley's arrest report?

They are wildly different situations. Whaley didn't do anything on camera.

That being said I've been thinking about it I'm going to change my mind. I think if it keeps the kids in school let em practice and maybe play later in the season (kind of sounds like that's what they are thinking about doing). Helping kids get a good education who might not have otherwise should be a huge priority with football programs. Especially since Blount is a senior, so I assume he's close to graduating.

Someone look up Blount's record. I've read this is his 8th incident/brush with the law. I'd like to see someone confirm or deny this.

Also, how a Senior, starter and alleged leader of his team could do what he did is unfathomable. The kid classlessly talked smack all week. He classlessly talked smack all game. When it was clear they'd won the opposing player FINALLY said some back and then...Blount didn't even have the stones to come at him face to face. He classlessly sucker punched him. Then classlessly fought a teammate. Then went after the FANS!!! Sober. Wearing Oregon on his chest on National TV!!! Then he was suspended for the season. Then Oregon beat Cal and realized they might have a shot at the Pac-10 so now they want to waive the suspension? Can't everyone see how obtuse this is?

I thought the punishment was way too harsh to begin with. Losing three or four games is a pretty tough punishment for a kid that loses his cool. Yup, it was done for national TV but he was provoked. Nothing happened at all to the kid who provoked him. In a game situation the kid I think would have gotten a 15 yard penalty for taunting.

I can never figure out how punishment systems work. It changes from situation to situation. To go to a pro circumstance. Burris a wide receiver from from New York gets 2 years for accidentally shooting himself. Another wide receiver Stalworth gets 24 days for killing someone when he was driving drunk.

I just saw the clip for the first time tonight on BTN & thought it was hilarious to watch the Boise guy's expression before & after the punch. LOL!!!!

The Boise guy showed ZERO class in starting the whole thing, IMO. What a pu$$y. LOL

"The Boise guy showed ZERO class in starting the whole thing, IMO. What a pu$$y. LOL "

He didn't start it. Blount had been talking crap all week. Then he talked crap all game. Only after it became clear they were going to win did the Boise player start talking back. Blount can dish it out but he can't take it. Who's the pussy?

"The Boise guy showed ZERO class in starting the whole thing, IMO. What a pu$$y. LOL "

He didn't start it. Blount had been talking crap all week. Then he talked crap all game. Only after it became clear they were going to win did the Boise player start talking back. Blount can dish it out but he can't take it. Who's the pussy?

Blount can talk all he wants, the other guy didn't have to slap his shoulder pads.........

Top Bottom