OT: Lindsay Whalen traded to LYNX?

They should have overpaid to get her about 5 years ago--better late than never I guess. Attendance will go way up with this move.

Yeah....attendance should rise from about 700 per game to almost 750......:cool::eek:

They should have overpaid to get her about 5 years ago--better late than never I guess. Attendance will go way up with this move.

Attendance may go up, but not way up. If they would have signed her 5 years ago, it would have had a much larger impact on attendance.

Interesting Note: Whalen and Janel McCarville have nearly identical stats for this year. Their PPG is the same, with McCarville having a higher shooting percentage from both the field and 3 pt range and Whalen having 2 more APG.

The WNBA should have done what other leagues did in thier infancy and instituted a regional draft. Competative balance doesn't mean much if the league folds in 5 years. They should have made it possible for the Lynx to draft Lindsey Whalen in the first place.

They should have made it possible for the Lynx to draft Lindsey Whalen in the first place.

It WAS possible for the Lynx to draft Whalen. It would've gutted the team's existing talent, but who cares? It doesn't matter to anybody whether they win or lose now, at least you'd have gotten people in the doors. Too little, too late.

It WAS possible for the Lynx to draft Whalen. It would've gutted the team's existing talent, but who cares? It doesn't matter to anybody whether they win or lose now, at least you'd have gotten people in the doors. Too little, too late.

I agree. Glen Taylor should have ordered them to do whatever it took to get her. However, the WNBA could have made it easier to do by having a regional draft.

I don't know if we had enough trade bait to get Whalen at the time she turned pro. We did make a move to go up in the draft but I think she was a #4 pick and we were at about #6. It would have made sense to go all out to get her at the time. I was almost more disgusted with Taylor when he had Mcarville, who had been a #1 overall pick, handed to him and didn't take her. Even without Whalen the Lynx have greatly strengthened their team this year by acquiring a Sacramento allstar in the expansion draft. If they haven't traded it all away to get Whalen they also have the #1 and #3 pick in this years draft.

Game plan...

Plays for the Lynx for two years. Maturi finally sees the light as fans start showing up as empty seats to see a .500 Borton team. Whalen is a female version of Westbrook on the court and she would bring that same intensity as a head coach. Lest forget the in your face stare she gave the Kansas center I believe it was Kim Oathe when they played in front of a packed house at Williams Arena. This cowboy would buy two season tickets if Whalen coached at the U

Plays for the Lynx for two years. Maturi finally sees the light as fans start showing up as empty seats to see a .500 Borton team. Whalen is a female version of Westbrook on the court and she would bring that same intensity as a head coach. Lest forget the in your face stare she gave the Kansas center I believe it was Kim Oathe when they played in front of a packed house at Williams Arena. This cowboy would buy two season tickets if Whalen coached at the U

That would be fun to see. Whalen could keep the best Minnesota girls at home to build a strong base, and then fill in with talented national recruits.

Lest forget the in your face stare she gave the Kansas center I believe it was Kim Oathe when they played in front of a packed house at Williams Arena.

I believe you are referring to Nicole Ohlde from Kansas State, who happens to be a former Lynx player as well lol. Whalen is definitely tough, and the Lynx could be a good playoff contender now, there's a ton of young talent on that team, with Augustus coming back from injury. They needed a vet like Whalen to help run the show there, this could be a big pickup for them.

I don't know if we had enough trade bait to get Whalen at the time she turned pro. We did make a move to go up in the draft but I think she was a #4 pick and we were at about #6. It would have made sense to go all out to get her at the time. I was almost more disgusted with Taylor when he had Mcarville, who had been a #1 overall pick, handed to him and didn't take her. Even without Whalen the Lynx have greatly strengthened their team this year by acquiring a Sacramento allstar in the expansion draft. If they haven't traded it all away to get Whalen they also have the #1 and #3 pick in this years draft.

LA80 use 'we' in reference to the Lynx. This may be the surest sign that the WNBA is here to stay!

I stand corrected

I believe you are referring to Nicole Ohlde from Kansas State, who happens to be a former Lynx player as well lol. Whalen is definitely tough, and the Lynx could be a good playoff contender now, there's a ton of young talent on that team, with Augustus coming back from injury. They needed a vet like Whalen to help run the show there, this could be a big pickup for them.

I do remember the stare though and I think Ohlde was about 6"4" and she tried to hook Whalen on a drive with her forearm and it got a tad high. The "look" was priceless

My Stepdaughter Is Retired WNBA Player

Played 7 years in WNBA (4 with Utah Starzz, 3 with Indiana Fever) after 3 years in ABL (Portland Power).

Some WNBA franchises had/have a strong following. Others don't. For example, Houston Comets had strong fanbase but they are defunct now. NY Liberty and Washington Mystics have very good attendance.

This is how I feel as well. Although I'm not completely convinced that getting Whalen will increase attendance all that much, it'll be great to have her playing in her home state again. If nothing else, it will serve to bring back some great memories from her glory days as a Gopher.

Attendance may go up, but not way up. If they would have signed her 5 years ago, it would have had a much larger impact on attendance.

Interesting Note: Whalen and Janel McCarville have nearly identical stats for this year. Their PPG is the same, with McCarville having a higher shooting percentage from both the field and 3 pt range and Whalen having 2 more APG.

That is an interesting note about their stats! We drove all the way to New Orleans to see Whalen, McCarville and team play in the final four. They gave us a wonderful season of exciting basketball. To this day whenever I think of them it is as a pair. When comments were made of the look that Whalen gave Ohlde immediately the thought came that McCarville made it clear to Ohlde that she was not permitted to get in the paint. She totally shut her down until the game was settled. Whalen and McCarville have a special place in our hearts and we will try to get to at least see Whalen play some games for the Lynx (us). Don't know how many people feel as we do but hope there are many and it does help attendance a lot.

It's about _ _ _ _ _ _ _ TIME!

Now is McCarvell still available?

And I am all for Whalen as the Gophers coach!

It's about _ _ _ _ _ _ _ TIME!

Now is McCarvell still available?

And I am all for Whalen as the Gophers coach!

A couple of years ago in a dispersal draft the Lynx had a chance to get Janel and passed on her. Don't remember who they took instead but it was a dumb thing to do.

A couple of years ago in a dispersal draft the Lynx had a chance to get Janel and passed on her. Don't remember who they took instead but it was a dumb thing to do.

They took Tangela Smith when Charlotte folded and traded her to Phoenix for the #1 pick which turned out to be Lindsey Harding, who performed under expectations for the Lynx and had injury troubles. She is, however, doing better in Washington.

I'm really glad to see then finally get Whalen but the price could be pretty steep if Rene Montgomery turns into an explosive scorer. It's too bad they didn't take McCarville when her team went under a couple years back - she is coming on strong and would give the Lynx some attitude
and personality they lack and a Whalen/McCarville tandem would sell some tickets which they desperately need.

OT if Jennifer Gillam wasn't good enough for the Lynx to re-sign, then why was she good enough for the LA Sparx to sign who are one of the 3 best franchises in league history ?

Top Bottom