Origin of traditions: Standers, key jinglers etc?

A good first down chant would be:
PA: What down is it?
Crowd: FIRST DOWN!
PA: Whose ball is it?
Crowd: OUR BALL!!
PA: WHAT DOWN?
CROWD:FIRST DOWN!!
PA: WHOSE BALL?
CROWD: OUR BALL!!

dont forget about the superman theme whenever goldy shows up, or before he does his pushups.... the students hold their arms up and pretend to fly (a la Superman)

Yep, that is a good one too and visually noticeable when the whole student section does it.

Don't even get me started on this one. I've written letters to Brewster, the Cheer Squad coaches and others. While I agree this is one of the cheers that is very successful, and actually kinda cool, and original??? The timing of it couldn't be worse. Instead of Goldy doing this thing during the timeout right after we make the extra point, when there is nothing else going on. Goldy, the cheer squad or somebody has decided to do this cheer after we have kicked off, during the first plays of our opponents drive. When our crowd, namely the students, should be at our most frenzied and loud, (see Penn State, Ohio State, or any big time program's home games) instead our student section is distracted by counting as goldy is doing pushups. So instead of the gophers being able to keep the momentum with a crazy, frenzied, "going bananas" crowd on the other teams first play after we have just scored, we allow our fans to be distracted by goldy, and therefore seem to give up big plays.

In my past letters and emails to Brewster and Co., I included the research that I did on the subject. I dont have it front of me, but in homegames against quality big ten opponents, I believe my study included 3 years from '04, '05 and '06. On average, the gophers D gave up 7 to 8 yards per play on first down after scoring a TD. I realize our defenses weren't our strong point, but these plays just always stuck out in my mind, as being especially damaging. Instead of keeping momentum, we gave it right back.

Ok, thats enough for now. I'll find my past research and maybe update it, and repost this closer to the season.

I know it has been talked about at length on other posts but I had to mention this again. Some how, some way, we have to get the Ski-U-Mah chant going again. That would honestly give me chills to hear that going around and around the stadium.

A good first down chant would be:
PA: What down is it?
Crowd: FIRST DOWN!
PA: Whose ball is it?
Crowd: OUR BALL!!
PA: WHAT DOWN?
CROWD:FIRST DOWN!!
PA: WHOSE BALL?
CROWD: OUR BALL!!

What are we back in High school?? Thats pretty lame if you ask me...sounds like something a high school cheerleader squad would do...

What are we back in High school?? Thats pretty lame if you ask me...sounds like something a high school cheerleader squad would do...

it's actually pretty badass when you get the whole crowd doing it

I assumed he was sarcastically referencing Coach Cross' introduction on the "big" screens last year. If that was the reference, consider it hilarious. If this was serious, consider it hilarious, but in a much different and sadder way.

Don't even get me started on this one. I've written letters to Brewster, the Cheer Squad coaches and others. While I agree this is one of the cheers that is very successful, and actually kinda cool, and original??? The timing of it couldn't be worse. Instead of Goldy doing this thing during the timeout right after we make the extra point, when there is nothing else going on. Goldy, the cheer squad or somebody has decided to do this cheer after we have kicked off, during the first plays of our opponents drive. When our crowd, namely the students, should be at our most frenzied and loud, (see Penn State, Ohio State, or any big time program's home games) instead our student section is distracted by counting as goldy is doing pushups. So instead of the gophers being able to keep the momentum with a crazy, frenzied, "going bananas" crowd on the other teams first play after we have just scored, we allow our fans to be distracted by goldy, and therefore seem to give up big plays.

In my past letters and emails to Brewster and Co., I included the research that I did on the subject. I dont have it front of me, but in homegames against quality big ten opponents, I believe my study included 3 years from '04, '05 and '06. On average, the gophers D gave up 7 to 8 yards per play on first down after scoring a TD. I realize our defenses weren't our strong point, but these plays just always stuck out in my mind, as being especially damaging. Instead of keeping momentum, we gave it right back.

Ok, thats enough for now. I'll find my past research and maybe update it, and repost this closer to the season.

Can't argue with you on that. I haven't thought about it that much but on some level I do remember asking myself "I wonder why they don't do that immediately after the extra point." It does seem like it takes too long to get started.

you have to remember that goldy is usually around that particular endzone when we score, and underneath the uprights to help the officials give the 'kick is good' sign, which might be all the way across the field. his platform for pushups is by the student section.

i could be wrong but isn't there a rouser played right after the extra point?? or is it only after the touchdown itself?? (maybe i'd have a fresher memory if we scored any points in the iowa game)

plus you have to remember that after a touchdown is a tv timeout, which is when the "race a dude wearing a meatballsandwich-mascot costume, brought to you by the folks at Subway" contest is going on. That of course, cannot be sacrificed.... (threw up in my mouth a little)

you have to remember that goldy is usually around that particular endzone when we score, and underneath the uprights to help the officials give the 'kick is good' sign, which might be all the way across the field. his platform for pushups is by the student section.

i could be wrong but isn't there a rouser played right after the extra point?? or is it only after the touchdown itself?? (maybe i'd have a fresher memory if we scored any points in the iowa game)

plus you have to remember that after a touchdown is a tv timeout, which is when the "race a dude wearing a meatballsandwich-mascot costume, brought to you by the folks at Subway" contest is going on. That of course, cannot be sacrificed.... (threw up in my mouth a little)

Correct. They don't play the full Rouser (i.e. 2x through) after the TD b/c they don't have time before the kick. The full Rouser happens after the extra point.

I like Superman (yes it should be much closer to the score), the FIRST DOWN cheer, Sweet Caroline, and especially JUMP ON IT. I really hope that comes along to TCF.

Man we need to find someone with connections to the Cheer Squad, Game day managers, Brewster, Scoreboard operators...whoever can get the 3 sided SKI..U..MAH cheer going in a few weeks. Now that we got a brick wall around the field, the introduction of that cheer is the last thing on my wish list for 9/12/09!!!

I hate "Jump On It".... I feel like we are trying to copy Wisconsin's "Jump Around".

I hate "Jump On It".... I feel like we are trying to copy Wisconsin's "Jump Around".

How are these even the same thing other then the fact that Jump is in the name? The idea of a song that is sung/danced to by the whole student section didn't get invented by Wisky nor did it start with Jump Around.

The key jingle on kickoffs started by MN fans mocking their own team in the Gutey (or maybe early Wacker) era. My recollection is that we, Gophers, used to jingle keys on key defensive plays, a la what is done by Michigan fans and other college fans. You'd pull them out for goal-line stands and fourth down attempts.

Then occurred a sequence of a few games where the Gophers (who stunk) seemed to easily give up kickoff returns for touchdowns, or to fumble their own kickoffs. One or two games included the fans shaking the keys *sarcastically* on the kickoffs to indicate that even fielding (or defending) a kickoff was a key play.

I think fan support and attendance in that era was so spotty that the original sarcasm got lost on the crowd. The attempt to deride the Gopher's foibles turned into the standard practice. Now fans shake keys on kickoffs, aided by the scoreboard and Goldy, presumably not knowing that it started as a taunt. With the new stadium, I'd like to end the key jingle.

I agree that it'd be really cool to bring back some of the really old Memorial Stadium traditions. I'm sure they had some that died out in the barren wastes of the Humpdome. Let's get some of the old traditions restarted.

in the video of the 1953 game against michigan (see the uofm library's memorial stadium site) all the fans, or possibly just the students would somehow, in unison, give a resounding "Block That Kick" right before opposing team snapped the ball on punting plays..... sounds pretty cool in the film, i thought

also in that film there is a section of fans dressed and organized to form a sweet looking block 'm'-----i can only assume its the student section

I really can't think of anything I enjoy in the student section more than the "Who hates Iowa" chant. It makes almost no sense against opposing teams which makes it awesome, especially since we play Iowa last, it builds up to that game even if we are getting blown out in the current game.

I think the "RAH" may have ebbed or completely died for a while because I don't recall hearing it in the late 90's and early '00's.

I know they would say RAH over the PA at hockey games from 97-07 and probably still do. However, I've never been at a football game where it has been said over the PA. I know because me and all the guys that have/had hockey tickets do it on our own.

As for the keys thing, I have no idea how it started. As freshman, I was told by the upperclassmen I knew to jingle my keys whenever the gophs kicked off. Regardless, it's now evolved even further.

The standing thing probably evolved from some sort of necessity. The guys in the front row can't see because of a bad angle, so they stand up all game. The guys behind them can't see, so they have to stand...etc. Or the seats were so uncomfortable that they hurt to sit on for too long. With all the modern day sitelines and comforts, I'd say it's now more of a way to show your invovlement/excitment in the game. If you're standing, you're obviously not falling asleep in your chair.

I remember that the U made a little book with all the football traditions/words to the fight songs for freshman that were given away at new student weekend. It also told you right in the book to stand and cheer when we were on defense, but to be quiet if we were on offense. It was pretty awesome and I have never figured out why they don't do it anymore.

As others have stated, the Rouser is played 2x through right after the PAT, including the MN spellout. This takes 1:20 to 1:30. Depending on the game this could be close to the next kickoff. It is near impossible to predict, as sometimes there is a timeout after the kickoff as well. While the fans could be in a frenzy, the pushups don't take very long (unless we have scored a lot of points, chances are we have won, meaning fan frenzy may not be as important).

I agree that there may be a better time to do it, but don't you think a rhythmic chant from a ton of students could screw up a line as much as yelling? It also gets the fans active during the dead time right before the opponents start up again (when it typically is started). Most students I know just chant along while watching the game anyway, not looking at Goldy.

As others have stated, the Rouser is played 2x through right after the PAT, including the MN spellout. This takes 1:20 to 1:30. Depending on the game this could be close to the next kickoff. It is near impossible to predict, as sometimes there is a timeout after the kickoff as well. While the fans could be in a frenzy, the pushups don't take very long (unless we have scored a lot of points, chances are we have won, meaning fan frenzy may not be as important).

I agree that there may be a better time to do it, but don't you think a rhythmic chant from a ton of students could screw up a line as much as yelling? It also gets the fans active during the dead time right before the opponents start up again (when it typically is started). Most students I know just chant along while watching the game anyway, not looking at Goldy.

I realize they play the rouser right after, and right away after that is the perfect time to do the goldy superman thing, It really doesnt take that long, it will lead us right into the next kickoff. It would work perfectly, the Goldy would have the crowds attention and get everybody going again for the opponents first play.

Maybe I'm over analyzing, but all Im saying is pay attention to the timing of this, and the amount of success that our opponents have on first down, something has never seemed right.

Cheerleading in general started out at a gopher game in the late 1800's.

I know they would say RAH over the PA at hockey games from 97-07 and probably still do. However, I've never been at a football game where it has been said over the PA. I know because me and all the guys that have/had hockey tickets do it on our own.

The Hockey and football PA announcer is one in the same - Mr. Jamie Verbrugge. Like I said in earlier posts, the RAH may have preceded Jamie, but if so, it had started to fizzle and he has really brought it back.

Man we need to find someone with connections to the Cheer Squad, Game day managers, Brewster, Scoreboard operators...whoever can get the 3 sided SKI..U..MAH cheer going in a few weeks. Now that we got a brick wall around the field, the introduction of that cheer is the last thing on my wish list for 9/12/09!!!

There are actual cheers that go along with every single cadence the drumline plays. One of the cadences is even called "Ski-U-Mah" so if you want to know around 15 cheers, make some friends with members of the marching band and they will probably teach you if you ask.

If you have any suggestions, I would advise to contact the director of the marching band, Dr. Tim Diem. He's open to pep band tune suggestions like sweet caroline, living on a prayer etc.

As for Apache (or as you know it "Jump on it") it was written out for the band by a current drumline member 2 years ago. We realized that with 6 different sized bass drums we could actually play sweet bass lines to various songs. One being Apache by the Sugarhill Gang. Unlike the Badger Band that has bass drums which are all the same size and play unison parts. Eventually goofing off during rehearsal turned into a written arrangement for the band. The hope was to get the student section doing the dance during the terrible 1-11 season. You didn't disappoint. Not to worry, Apache along with the rest of the traditional music will make the trip to TCF.

Don't bother asking me how the cadences go because frankly I have no clue I just play the drums.

Needed tradition for TCF when the defense comes up big:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HcOZ6xFxJqg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HcOZ6xFxJqg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I was at the "U" during the Holtz years and the key thing was done during a "key" play. I never understood the kickoff key shaking.

Most of the traditions are already there...yell ski u mah and during the rouser take off your hat/cap at "hats off to thee.". I will also be slapping the ski u mah pillar at each game.

Top Bottom