One way to look at things

AF_Howie_2180

Reaction score
When we win our Bowl game the gophers will have had 9 or more wins in 3 of the last 4 seasons and when is the last time that has happened? (1900-1905 I looked) Sure this year might be considered missed opportunity but considering past history this era is something that we should be proud of. The following season records are shown below:

2022 - 8-4 (currently) 9-4 after we win our Bowl Game
2021 - 9-4 - Guaranteed Rate Bowl Win
2020 - 3-4 (COVID Year) - This whole season should be seen with an *
2019 - 11-2 - Outback Bowl Win

PJ Fleck overall record in his coaching tenure - 43 win 27 losses = 61.4% wins

When we win our Bowl game the gophers will have had 9 or more wins in 3 of the last 4 seasons and when is the last time that has happened? (1900-1905 I looked) Sure this year might be considered missed opportunity but considering past history this era is something that we should be proud of. The following season records are shown below:

2022 - 8-4 (currently) 9-4 after we win our Bowl Game
2021 - 9-4 - Guaranteed Rate Bowl Win
2020 - 3-4 (COVID Year) - This whole season should be seen with an *
2019 - 11-2 - Outback Bowl Win

PJ Fleck overall record in his coaching tenure - 43 win 27 losses = 61.4% wins

OK. I get what you're saying about the Gophs generally trending up, though this season was extremely frustrating in my case (high expecations), but it bothers me when people reference the 9-wins with the early 1900s. The Gophs didn't even play 9 games 1906-1941 and didn't play 10 games until 1960. They happened to have a few national championships in that time frame.

OK. I get what you're saying about the Gophs generally trending up, though this season was extremely frustrating in my case (high expecations), but it bothers me when people reference the 9-wins with the early 1900s. The Gophs didn't even play 9 games 1906-1941 and didn't play 10 games until 1960. They happened to have a few national championships in that time frame.

1960 to now??

You mean 62 years- 🤦‍♂️

Did you take the O or U this year?

My biggest concern is that we lose games we have no business losing, not quite as bad this year as last year, but that loss to Purdue was downright awful, as was the loss to Iowa.

We didnt trend up this year, we were flat from last year.

My biggest concern is that we lose games we have no business losing, not quite as bad this year as last year, but that loss to Purdue was downright awful, as was the loss to Iowa.

Flat, but at 8-4 tied for the 4th best record in the conference after the Big 3. Two of the losses were extremely winnable, and advanced metrics consider the Gophers a Top 25 team. This all happened while over half the Big Ten snaps were taken by a freshman backup QB.

The Gophers are establishing consistency as an above-average Big Ten team with quality players waiting to take over as seniors depart.

That is one way to look at it. Probably the best way to look at it.

But the other obvious way to look at it is that this easily could've been 10-2 in the regular season, West champs.

Sure we probably don't beat Michigan in Indy. But we probably do go to the Citrus Bowl, and who knows then. Maybe 11-3.

Yes, the overall trend is up. that's great.

But - for a program like MN, opportunities for a special season only come around so often. when they do, you need to take advantage.

in 2022, MN had a realistic opportunity for a special season, and came up short. You can't ignore that.

and looking ahead, nothing is guaranteed. especially with the conference expanding, and divisions likely going away, when will MN have another opportunity like this year?

that is a question that none of us can answer.

The Billds have decided to let it go and focus on the bowl match-up and on to a very new future immediately thereafter. Signing Day will be interesting to be sure.

Still glad I didn't reschedule my new knee from this Tuesday as was thinking immediately after MSU.

Obviously lots of room for improvement but 2022 is done. Don't see any immediate coaching changes...unlike the flawed DC in 2018 and flawed OC in 2021...but if there's an upgrade out there hope it happens.

Zig Zag Chart in full effect...at least not a roller coaster...

Last edited:

A few things have worked in our favor to getting to 9 wins in more recent times.

1. We build 2-3 probable non conference wins into our schedule every year.

2. We hardly ever play the two best programs in our conference anymore. (4 times combined in the past 6 years). The Big Ten has weakened itself through expansion.

3. We continue to get passed over for bowl games and end up being paired against teams lesser than us, leading to a higher chance of a win.

I'm not denying our program isn't in better shape than in any time in the past 50 years, but I would avoid the win counting comparisons. #ImNoFun

Last edited:

A few things have worked in our to getting to 9 wins in more recent times.

2. We hardly ever play the two best programs in our conference anymore. (4 times combined in the past 6 years). The Big Ten has weakened itself through expansion.

3. We continue to get passed over for bowl games and end up being paired against teams lesser than us, leading to a higher chance of a win.

I'm not denying our program isn't in better shape than in any time in the past 50 years, but I would avoid the win counting comparisons. #ImNoFun
2b) Nebraska has been historically bad, compared to their program in the 90's and early 2000's. They were supposed to be a Michigan type program. If they had been, that would be one less win per year most years. Purdue, Illinois have been pretty weak, until very recently. Another win or two per year pumped up. In other words, playing in the West.

Flat, but at 8-4 tied for the 4th best record in the conference after the Big 3. Two of the losses were extremely winnable, and advanced metrics consider the Gophers a Top 25 team. This all happened while over half the Big Ten snaps were taken by a freshman backup QB.

The Gophers are establishing consistency as an above-average Big Ten team with quality players waiting to take over as seniors depart.

With Mo, Moran, and Crab 3-0
Full game Morgan and Mo 2-0
With just Morgan 0-1
With just Mo 2-2
With Mo and part game Morgan 1-1

BIG10WEST is adding better coaches at Nebraska and most likely Wisconsin, our schedule next year is brutal. This team is going to have to improve greatly to win 7 games next year.

It's college football; and, unless you're one of the elites, "We have no business losing," is a ridiculous take. Ya, the Purdue loss sucked, but if Mo is playing or if there is no interception on a deflected ball we win. Shit happens and we don't have the high end talent to regularly overcome injuries to key players or bad breaks or a great play or two by the other team. You might think the Gophers should be invincible, but the fact is, we're not. Not even against Purdue. We've got GH'ers every bit as delusional as Nebraska fans who we love to make fun of.

A few things have worked in our favor to getting to 9 wins in more recent times.

1) that number used to be 4
2) we hardly ever play the bottom 2 either (Indiana and Rutgers)
3) I don’t necessarily agree with this, that’s true last year but not really in other years

But you are correct win comparisons aren’t great across eras
Win % comparisons are better.
Not making comparisons is even better

1) that number used to be 4
2) we hardly ever play the bottom 2 either (Indiana and Rutgers)
3) I don’t necessarily agree with this, that’s true last year but not really in other years

But you are correct win comparisons aren’t great across eras
Win % comparisons are better.
Not making comparisons is even better
Comparisons will steal your joy.

Top Bottom