One time Transfer Waiver Could be Huge for New Coach

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
In the transfer portal thread on the football board there is a post about the NCAA finally making a decision on the one-time blanket waiver for transfers at their meeting after the final 4. If approved (as most seem to think it will be) it could be huge for whoever ends up being the next coach here (assuming of course that Pitino is done after the BTT).

Would give that new coach the ability to bring in anyone willing to come and not have to worry about getting waivers and what not so that they can play right away. At least that is how I understand it.

Should be interesting to see how that piece plays out and the potential impact it could have here as early as next season depending on who the coach is and who they might be able to bring in.

In the transfer portal thread on the football board there is a post about the NCAA finally making a decision on the one-time blanket waiver for transfers at their meeting after the final 4. If approved (as most seem to think it will be) it could be huge for whoever ends up being the next coach here (assuming of course that Pitino is done after the BTT).

Would give that new coach the ability to bring in anyone willing to come and not have to worry about getting waivers and what not so that they can play right away. At least that is how I understand it.

Should be interesting to see how that piece plays out and the potential impact it could have here as early as next season depending on who the coach is and who they might be able to bring in.
Yep, should totally help the team not be a complete dumpster fire right away, although the new coach just may want to start completely fresh. They may want to just build from the ground up with their own recruits and put together their own system. Not saying they can't do this with transfers but the pool is smaller than high school seniors.

Well, I don't think literally "anyone." As I understand it, the one-time transfer blanket waiver applies to a student who has not transferred from a four year member institution previously. So, I don't think players like Robbins and Gach would be eligible for that.

Does that increase the chances Liam stays put?

Does that increase the chances Liam stays put?

Well, we can hope. Honestly, unless Robbins really wants to go to Iowa where he would be only an hour from home, he simply doesn't like being here, or he's just the restless type, I don't see a huge motivation for him to transfer even if he can play right away somewhere else. He's pretty much set as a starter here regardless of the coach and he led the conference in blocks in his first year. I would think that he would be even more comfortable here in his second year and would prefer a repeat performance here to going somewhere else. Things might be different if he had two years of eligibility remaining. Also, if one cares about graduating (I assume he probably does), transferring with one year left often introduces some potential hassles.

Well, we can hope. Honestly, unless Robbins really wants to go to Iowa where he would be only an hour from home, he simply doesn't like being here, or he's just the restless type, I don't see a huge motivation for him to transfer even if he can play right away somewhere else. He's pretty much set as a starter here regardless of the coach and he led the conference in blocks in his first year. I would think that he would be even more comfortable here in his second year and would prefer a repeat performance here to going somewhere else. Things might be different if he had two years of eligibility remaining. Also, if one cares about graduating (I assume he probably does), transferring with one year left often introduces some potential hassles.
Doesn’t he have 2 more years of eligibility?? I thought this was a free year for everyone or is that only for seniors and grad transfers

Doesn’t he have 2 more years of eligibility?? I thought this was a free year for everyone or is that only for seniors and grad transfers

Yes, technically I guess he does (I guess I wasn't thinking about that) but he may or may not choose to use that extra year. I think Robbins probably has a pro career somewhere so he may decide to just get on with it.

Top Bottom