One of the Brewster homers

There is no way they fire him two games into the season so you guys can let go of that right now. After this performance and the past few years though it will take a herculean effort to save his job by the end of the season.

See Monson, Dan.

Maturi has done it before. I'm torn on whether to do it tomorrow;we could start a covert coaching search immediately. May or may not be the best move. But don't say there's no way.

See Monson, Dan.

Maturi has done it before. I'm torn on whether to do it tomorrow;we could start a covert coaching search immediately. May or may not be the best move. But don't say there's no way.

Big difference between recruiting for football and recruiting for basketball. You fire Brew now and put a guy in as the interim and you basically throw away an entire year of recruiting (probably 25 guys). In basketball you can recover quickly as you only need to recruit a couple guys a year but you could not recover losing 25 recruits in football in one year.

That's a mildly valid argument. What if the new coach has a completely different system?

It doesn't even matter what we think. People are going to start tuning out the Gophers. The damage will continue until there is a new coach. I don't hate Brewster. But it's like baseball, there's a time when the manager has to pull the pitcher.

This loss is completely inexcusable. It is an undeniable embarrassment to the University of Minnesota and the Big Ten. It's what happens when you bring in an NFL guy wih no head coaching or coordinator experience. It took him three years to find an OC and figurenout what kind of offense he wants. Looks like it'll be four years to find a defense guy.

The defense is young blah, blah, blah, blah! We really do have some gifted athletes on D but they were out of position and had not a clue about where they should be or what they should do. The very definition of poor coaching! This wasn't Southern Cal or even South Carolina this was South Fricking Dakota. That's a Junior College team, relative to the Big Ten.

Brewster can't be fired mid-term it would set us back too far in recruiting. This is a very young defense and a miracle could happen, but I wouldn't expect it. Maruri needs to identify the best young coach at a lower rated conference and have him signed a week after this season is over.

I like Brewster a lot. In many ways he's just what Da U needed. A positive guy and a personable one who was willing and able to pay attention to the local details. The problem is he didn't have a coaching philosophy he believed in that he could bring in with him. He wasn't committed to an offensive system or a defensive one and we've now wasted three years.

I couldn't have said it better (added plus for low vitriol, a lot of you need to take a chill pill here).

I, too, like Brewster a lot. He has some really good qualities: positive guy, willing to do the work, fairly good recruiter. But no idea of what it takes to put the foundation of a program in place and then build on it.

He fell to the temptation of not totally ripping the program down and building from scratch. Instead, he went after too many JC guys in an effort to put a better "short term" product on the field instead of ramping things up for the long haul. Hence, we went to two lousy bowls, but really made no progress. Now, we've got a nice set of athletes on defense who have no idea what they are doing because they were sitting behind JC players. Anyway, that's my take.

Top Bottom