On Chris Petersen

NateDawgUM

bored with recruiting talk
Reaction score
How is Chris Petersen any different than Dan Hawkins or Dirk Koetter?

Boise State plays a conference schedule that puts the Glen Mason non-conference cupcake walk to shame. They have done a valiant job of rising to the occasion the last few years to beat a high profile name once or twice a year. The fact remains, they don't have to prepare or execute at a high level in consecutive weeks, EVER.

Dirk Koetter probably deserves credit for laying the foundation for the current Boise State. He led them to two 10 win seasons and conference titles before leaving for Arizona State.

He spent 6 seasons in Tempe, peaked out at 5-3 in the Pac 10 and finished with a 40-34 (21-28) record.

Dan Hawkins of course was the next genius of Idaho. He goes 53-11 (37-3) at Boise State over the next 5 seasons. At Colorado? 19-38 (10-26) and won't be there at the end of this season.

Now Chris Petersen is the next sure fire home run guy that everybody thinks is great. What makes him so wildly different from his two predecessors?

thanks for the reality check.

Everything the OP said is true. And, ironically, this is why:

1.) The Minnesota job may actually be attractive to Petersen if he ever wants to leave BSU, and
2.) Staying at BSU forever is also somewhat attractive.

Anyone who thinks he's about to get 5-million/ year at Georgia (or that he even believes his skill-set is transferable to the SEC) just don't get it. Casual fans love Boise State. Coaches, administrators, etc. know they are kind of a college football side-show.

Boise State plays a conference schedule that puts the Glen Mason non-conference cupcake walk to shame. They have done a valiant job of rising to the occasion the last few years to beat a high profile name once or twice a year. The fact remains, they don't have to prepare or execute at a high level in consecutive weeks, EVER.

Dirk Koetter probably deserves credit for laying the foundation for the current Boise State. He led them to two 10 win seasons and conference titles before leaving for Arizona State.

He spent 6 seasons in Tempe, peaked out at 5-3 in the Pac 10 and finished with a 40-34 (21-28) record.

Dan Hawkins of course was the next genius of Idaho. He goes 53-11 (37-3) at Boise State over the next 5 seasons. At Colorado? 19-38 (10-26) and won't be there at the end of this season.

Now Chris Petersen is the next sure fire home run guy that everybody thinks is great. What makes him so wildly different from his two predecessors?

Amen +1

A lot of fairly credible people have claimed for a while that he was the man, behind the man, behind the man before he was the HC. Though, a lot of people are saying the same things about Bryan Harsin now.

The difference between Petersen and the other two coaches is that Peterson is dominating his BCS opponents. By my count Koetter was 0-3 again major conferences, Hawkins was 2-7, and so far Petersen is 6-1. That includes victories over a couple of top 10 opponents. (Did not include TCU)

Koetter (0-3)

1998: Washington St: L 33-21
1999: UCLA: L 38-7
2000: Arkansas: L 38-31

Hawkins (2-7)

2001: South Carolina: L 32-13
Washington St: L 41-20
2002: Arkansas: L 41-14
Iowa St: W 34-16
2003: Oregon St: L 24-10
2004: Oregon St: W 53-34
2005: Georgia L 48-13
Oregon St L 3-27
Boston College L 27-21

Petersen:

2006: Oregon St: W 42-14
Oklahoma: W 43-42
2007: Washington: L 24-10
2008: Oregon: W 37-32
2009: Oregon: W 19-3
2010: Virginia Tech: W 33-30
Oregon St: W 37-24

the man behind the man argument works to some degree with me, it would appear that Mark Few was the brains behind Gonzaga's success, when we thought it was Dan M.
But your reality check is still welcome, Hawkins was a pretty hot property when Colorado hired him.

True for Golden, too - his entire season at Temple is basically Mason's non-conference run.

True for Golden, too - his entire season at Temple is basically Mason's non-conference run.
I think that's a different situation than Peterson. Peterson got a program at Boise Sate that was already pretty good. Golden inherited a program that won three games in three years. He completely turned them around.

You cannot underestimate how grueling a real, season-long schedule is.

There's a reason we suck in November.

MAN WHY CAN'T WE JUST GET A COACH FROM A POWERHOUSE PROGRAM LIKE NICK SABIN OR URBAN MEYER.

WHY DO WE WASTE OUR TIME WITH THESE MIDDLE TIER COACHES LIKE CHRIS PETERSON

If Peterson is another Hawkins, we will have a disaster....can we afford to risk that? I'll take Fulmer or Bello.

Petersen:

2006: Oregon St: W 42-14
Oklahoma: W 43-42
2007: Washington: L 24-10
2008: Oregon: W 37-32
2009: Oregon: W 19-3
2010: Virginia Tech: W 33-30
Oregon St: W 37-24

LOL...he lost to the weakest one...

Pokey Allen, Houston Nutt & Dirk Koetter...that is an interesting run of coaches at Boise State...

You forgot Houston Nutt

Where did they go?

Any coach from a smaller college making the step up can do well but its more about where they go than what they have done in the past. I think Chris Peterson would be insane to leave Boise State for any team that is not a top-top notch school. Sorry that doesnt include Minnesota. Peterson come to Minnesota and has a 2 or 3 win season he is going to get a label and that will quickly erode his immage. Now I would love for him to come here and give it a shot but if I was him I would be happy in Boise.

Mike Belloti is a guy I see as a poor fit for the Gophers. Minnesota does not have the recruiting power of Nike behind them like Oregon does. You can argue your point as much as you want but NIKE carries Oregon in football because what they have given them and I am not sure another school in the country has that advantage. Belloti would have to prove he can bring in the same level of players that Oregon can get without the help of Nike, their money, and the facilities they have because of Nike.

also remember Peterson hates recruiting (someone else does that), is not good in front of a crowd or tv, and hasn't connected with Idaho high school coaches. Hmmm, didn't Mase have a couple of these problems? Plus CP has a cammo field to play on (it really helps, I've been on it).

Any coach from a smaller college making the step up can do well but its more about where they go than what they have done in the past. I think Chris Peterson would be insane to leave Boise State for any team that is not a top-top notch school.

Really? Stanford was a joke under Walt Harris and is not considered a top notch job at all. I think we can all agree Jim Harbaugh is doing a heck of a job making the move from the University of San Diego to Stanford.

How about Gary Pinkel? Toledo to Mizzou.

It is about finding the right coach, not the history of the program.

Really? Stanford was a joke under Walt Harris and is not considered a top notch job at all. I think we can all agree Jim Harbaugh is doing a heck of a job making the move from the University of San Diego to Stanford.

How about Gary Pinkel? Toledo to Mizzou.

It is about finding the right coach, not the history of the program.

Agree 100%.

He was there for one year and went 5-6.

And went-on to win the SEC West before losing to Glen Mason's Golden Gophers in the Music City Bowl. What I wouldn't give to have this program back to what it was in 2002-2004.

Here is a clue for those questioning Peterson. Watch a BSU game. Watch them destroy and outcoach every team they play including BCS schools. Comparing him to Hawkins is ridiculous. Peterson should be target 1 and 1A. Peterson can flat out coach and has a system that allows him to win with less than the best athletes. Perfect for MN.

Here is a clue for those questioning Peterson. Watch a BSU game. Watch them destroy and outcoach every team they play including BCS schools. Comparing him to Hawkins is ridiculous. Peterson should be target 1 and 1A. Peterson can flat out coach and has a system that allows him to win with less than the best athletes. Perfect for MN.

I think we want the best football players for Minnesota's new coaches scheme. But, as I have said before, we need to have a school identity and find the coach that fits that identity. Just hiring a coach is not necessarily going to move us down the field. :eek:

Here is a clue for those questioning Hawkins. Watch a BSU game. Watch them destroy and outcoach every team they play including BCS schools. Comparing him to Koetter is ridiculous. Hawkins should be target 1 and 1A. Hawkins can flat out coach and has a system that allows him to win with less than the best athletes. Perfect for MN.

i just time traveled

i just time traveled

Just because it is cute, doesn't mean it is right. You are seriously comparing Hawkins to Peterson? How many BCS bowls for Hawkins? How many BCS Bowl wins for Hawkins? How many top 10 finishes? How many victories over BCS schools? How many Undefeated seasons for Hawkins?

Rather than just compare them because they coached at the same school, look at the coach and the preparedness and discipline of the team. If you don't want Peterson because of some reason, fine. Just don't diss him because another coach from that school was a failure. A third grader can do that.

Top Bottom