Omaha World Herald: The Gophers’ defense is fast, nasty and for real.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Omaha World Herald:

Since my travels took me to Minnesota for the Gophers’ 23-17 loss to No. 2 TCU and to Dallas for No. 20 Wisconsin’s 35-17 setback to No. 3 Alabama, I’ll offer a view on these opponents Nebraska will see in October.

Minnesota coach Jerry Kill had the look of a man who had a winning lottery ticket blow away after his team took TCU to the final snap Thursday night.

“We played well enough defensively to win,” he said.

So did Minnesota’s kicking game. And that’s significant because in a division as offensively challenged as the West appears, strong defense and kicking can put a ring on your finger.

The Gophers’ defense is fast, nasty and for real. They start three guys from Florida, three from Texas and a couple from Chicago and Cleveland. Last year, they held TCU to a season-low 30 points, and I’m betting the 23 this time will be another low point for a Horned Frog offense that returns 10 starters from a unit that averaged 46.5 points a game.

TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin, who finished fourth in Heisman voting last season, made game-defining plays but struggled enough to be glad he won’t see the Gophers again.

Speaking of challenges, Minnesota has a huge potential trap game this Saturday, playing at altitude against Colorado State, which won 10 games last season. But Kill isn’t worried about preparation.

“We know we don’t have time to feel sorry for ourselves,” he said. “We have a good bunch of seniors who understand that. We played the No. 2 team in the country and had a chance to win. Sure, we should be disappointed, but we’ve also got a lot to look forward to.”

I agree. Minnesota showed well against a premium opponent.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfkn...cle_26711f66-897d-5f0a-ae84-cd5855da7c1c.html

Go Gophers!!

If you didn't know any better......you'd think that the OWH was our hometown paper. They've given the Gophers more love than the strib has in ten years.

If you didn't know any better......you'd think that the OWH was our hometown paper. They've given the Gophers more love than the strib has in ten years.

They like us. :)

Top Bottom