Oliver Purnell to DePaul

Tubby's track record, like Purnell's, is to jump around and leave a program in better shape than when he took it over ... I also would not discount the family angle and his feelings after his father passed away, and how he wasn't near any of his siblings.

I think you have to look at that Doogie but Tubby was also at Kentucky for 10 years and isn't a young man anymore. I'm not sure of the proximity between Lexington and where the rest of Tubby's family resides, I'm assuming Maryland still(?) but really, anything is within a few hours.

I am LOL because after reading through this thread I had forgottten it had started out about Purnell going to DePaul !!!

:)

You know it's funny, I had a feeling the thread would devolve in this way but I purposefully didn't put anything like "cue the Tubby to Clemson rumors" in the post because I wanted to see how long it took before that is what it turned into.

It didn't take long.

JMag21 -- Thanks for listening most days ... never once did I say, "Why would Tubby want to coach little 'ol us." ... we debated where this job ranks in the Big Ten ... we came to the conclusion that Mich. St., Ill., Indiana, Ohio State, and Wisconsin were better ... and decided if it is the 6th or 7th best job in the Big Ten, it is comparable to Clemson, which is the 6th or 7th best job in the ACC.
Jim is a friend, so you won't get me to bash him ... I think he's great on baseball.

Some might think I'm being a homer, but Minnesota's clearly a better job than Clemson. If you're going to compare to an ACC school, the Minnesota job is more like Maryland (where I live) -- both in its advantages and administrative constraints. [Yes, I know MD has more top recruits in close proximity, but the fierce competition for those recruits puts it on recruiting par with MN, which essentially has no local competition and little regional competition]

I hope you choose to listen, but that is your choice ... Souhan was not blown away by last night's game ... I like Jim a lot, but him and I disagree on that ... We had Phil Martelli on, who was great for other analysis ... I think if you give it a try, you'll come to believe it's the best local option.
Never once did I say that G. Tech would've offered him the job ... What I did say was: If they did, he would take it (trusting 2 people I talked to, I THINK it is FACT) ... you're right; they definitely could go young if Paul Hewitt ever leaves or is dismissed.

I didn't say I wouldn't listen. I said I would disregard anything said on your show when it comes to college basketball, especially from Souhan. Frankly, Jim's been embarassing himself on this subject for the last month and it's pathetic, coming from such a veteran sports personality. He spent the entire winter covering all things Favre and the Olympics. He didn't pay one iota of attention to the Gophers or college basketball in general. He freely admits this. First, this is unacceptable for someone who's supposed to be a general columnist covering all the local sports. Second, if it's true, at least shut up and don't try to suddenly offer fake informed opinions come March Madness. His little spat with the Xavier coach was beyond sad, and his gumbling about how bad the basketball is, during what has been the best tourament in several years is ridiculous. If it's schtic to get people to turn in to the new format, it's not working. I dont' think it is, as he still seems perfectly lucid and positive on the Twins and Vikings. More like he started digging himself in a hole on this issue and refused to stop. It's over now until the fall, so let the Tubby stuff rest and next year, either pay some degree of attention or don't chime in on this sport.

You guys did one thing right. Having Jim on directly after Sid is on WCCO. I know that's not a coincidence. I for one do flip over. I do still like listening to Sid in the morning. He's right a lot more then Souhan, etc. and at least when he's wrong it's often amusing. I guess the idea that he's been on that show every day in my memory and I know I'll tune in one morning soon and he won't be on keeps me coming back.

I have also been a fan of the temporary morning show but I too flipped the dial this morning and painfully listened to Chris Hawkey instead. Why is every middle-aged sportswriter or former sportswriter in this town so negative a speculative all the time? They are tainting the younger sports media in this town including including the sheep known as Doogie. I haven't understood most of the bashing of Doogie here but is he going to comment on Tubby leaving when every new job opens? I know you learned from Chad, but there is a reason he is no longer on the air in this town.

No disagreement on the Clemson stuff ... this morning, I prefaced each conversation by saying, "This is talk-radio fodder; this is pure speculation ... " On the Georgia Tech talk, from 2 people I trust that have given me good info. in the past, I think if Hewitt had left, and they had offered him the job, he would've taken it ... I want to believe badly that this is a destination job, and for someone it is (Tim Miles and others), but it's just not for Tubby.

UH...Doogie?

I'm afraid I don't know who you are, living in CA and not a listener of sports radio.

You seem to be (as many here have pointed out) another of the pessimistic simpletons that infest TC sports media.

Your strange pompous certainty in the impossible-to-prove pronouncement, that had Tubby been offered the GT job he would have taken it, hurts the rational mind to think about.

It's ok to NOT know what you're talking about. It's not ok to be paid for that.

A smidgeon of humility and some actual affection for your home school would benefit you and, more importantly, your listeners/readers/viewers.

I can't help but think a lot of the vitriol towards MN teams comes from projected feelings of inadaquecy. Have you thought about therapy?

Sorry for making you the poster-boy for MN sports media, though, from what you wrote, I think you fit the mold.

UH...Doogie?

I'm afraid I don't know who you are, living in CA and not a listener of sports radio.

You seem to be (as many here have pointed out) another of the pessimistic simpletons that infest TC sports media.

Your strange pompous certainty in the impossible-to-prove pronouncement, that had Tubby been offered the GT job he would have taken it, hurts the rational mind to think about.

It's ok to NOT know what you're talking about. It's not ok to be paid for that.

A smidgeon of humility and some actual affection for your home school would benefit you and, more importantly, your listeners/readers/viewers.

I can't help but think a lot of the vitriol towards MN teams comes from projected feelings of inadaquecy. Have you thought about therapy?

Sorry for making you the poster-boy for MN sports media, though, from what you wrote, I think you fit the mold.

Seriously, most of the Badger fans I know are higher on Minnesota than these guys.

Seriously, most of the Badger fans I know are higher on Minnesota than these guys.

The sports media in this town is like congress, people keep voting for the them (keeping them employed) even though the general public is fatigued by them. There are at least 3 negative lazy media members in this town for every Russo, Christensen and Lavelle.

I have also been a fan of the temporary morning show but I too flipped the dial this morning and painfully listened to Chris Hawkey instead. Why is every middle-aged sportswriter or former sportswriter in this town so negative a speculative all the time? They are tainting the younger sports media in this town including including the sheep known as Doogie. I haven't understood most of the bashing of Doogie here but is he going to comment on Tubby leaving when every new job opens? I know you learned from Chad, but there is a reason he is no longer on the air in this town.

Chad will be fine, in fact he might be fine very, very soon.

Tubby would not have taken the GT job.

I was told this a.m. that with Tubby doing enough long-term planning (stuff through May), that it would be shocking if he left now ... but if you don't think that he would've taken the GT job, I have some Enron stock to sell you.
His father's death has taken a toll on him big-time ... he likes it here, but he is far away from his family ... if he can get closer to his family (has siblings in Georgia), I think he jumps at it ... the No. 1 thing to keep him here would be to make Saul the coach-in-waiting, and I highly doubt the "U" would do that ... and rightfully so.

I'm not positive that Tubby's going to retire here, but how long do you think Tubby will be coaching? He's getting up there. I take it you think he'll be leaving in a year or two? I just don't see that happening. I really don't see him changing schools to then coach for a few years before retiring. He'll have plenty of time to be at home once he retires.

Tool shed? ... you're a wise one ... Never wrote anything like Dennis Dodd or others saying Tubby is going to Clemson ... simply asked the question that if they called, would he be interested? ... and since, believe at this time he would not ... but do I think that this is his last job? I don't ... and would bet you anything you would like on that.

Well said. As you mentioned, a lot of reporters such as Doogie forget that a lot of schools who are looking to turn around their program aren't just looking for a good coach, they're looking for a coach who they assume will be there for a long time. Not that Tubby isn't wanted, but he's not exactly young.

GT job is probably behind only Maryland for jobs that MIGHT tempt Tubby. And it could well be that he would have taken it. But you're stating that is if it's a fact, and it isn't. I love how everyone just assumes that GT would have fallen all over itself offering Tubby the job. There's a reason it would have tempted Tubby. It's one of the 25 best jobs in America. That means a lot of other folks would have been very interested too.

If GT comes open a year from now (unlikely at this point) maybe he takes it. But do they want a 60-year old coach? You mentioned Georgia too. That's ridiculous for multiple reasons. First, the odds of that job opening in the next 2-3 years is about zero. Second, it's not that great of a job, it's right there with Auburn.

Bottom-line is that Tubby may not love everything about MN. But if he really wanted to leave just to get closer to family or to make is wife happy with better weather, he'd be gone already.

I don't doubt that you have some source telling you this and Souhan has some source telling him about Tubby's feelers. But let's be honest, clearly some of your sources are not up to par. I don't question that you believe what you've been told. But between you and Souhan it's hard not to simply tune out KSTP when it comes to college basketball. Jim basically said he hates college basketball on your show today, am I right? At least Reusse seems to have enough sense to stay out of the Gopher talk when he doens't know anything and focus on the Twins instead.

Trusting what two people say they think Tubby would do is not a fact. I don't see how putting "I think" in front makes it any better when you originally say as a fact that he would've left if GT offered.

I hope you choose to listen, but that is your choice ... Souhan was not blown away by last night's game ... I like Jim a lot, but him and I disagree on that ... We had Phil Martelli on, who was great for other analysis ... I think if you give it a try, you'll come to believe it's the best local option.
Never once did I say that G. Tech would've offered him the job ... What I did say was: If they did, he would take it (trusting 2 people I talked to, I THINK it is FACT) ... you're right; they definitely could go young if Paul Hewitt ever leaves or is dismissed.

+1.

Ok Doogie, so your analysis is that Tubby just took the Minnesota job because he was living check to check and needed a gig until he found where he wanted to go (ie Georgia Tech or Maryland or Arizona or Auburn or Oregon or Florida or .. .. ), just something to keep the water and electricity on. If this isn't where he wanted to go, why didn't he just step down, take a tv analysis gig until his "destination" job opened up or since family is so important why not take a year with the family? Heck the way you guys think, it would have only taken him 10 seconds to find a better gig, because apparently every other job in America is a destination job except Minnesota. How much longer is Tubby going to coach? Probably not a long time so why would he "waste" his time at Minnesota if he didn't want to be here? Tubby doesn't want to keep rebuilding programs, so why even come to Minnesota if it sucks?

The problem with all these media types' analysis is that it starts from the logic of "Minnesota sucks" therefore Tubby can't want to be there, in this light you can rationalize Tubby moving to anywhere and this is exactly what is going on (Arizona, Auburn, Oregon, Florida, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Virginia. . . .). Yet everytime one of these fools "knows" they end up looking like idiots, but does that stop them?. . .. . NO. Why? It's because they still believe the "Minnesot sucks" therefore Tubby will take the Alabama job or Texas AM or Utah or. . . .. never bothering with coming up with facts.

At some point you would think you guys would have some shame, but they don't, they keep throwing crap and then get offended when everybody thinks their morons. The only people impressed with these media morons, is themselves.

Why are all of those jobs better?

Jim should stick to baseball. He talks about the gophers as if he's an expert on college basketball/knows the gophers well, yet he admits that he hates college bball and his analysis makes it clear that he rarely watches. He only writes articles on them that make the team look bad, make himself look bad, or make another team that they're playing look bad.

JMag21 -- Thanks for listening most days ... never once did I say, "Why would Tubby want to coach little 'ol us." ... we debated where this job ranks in the Big Ten ... we came to the conclusion that Mich. St., Ill., Indiana, Ohio State, and Wisconsin were better ... and decided if it is the 6th or 7th best job in the Big Ten, it is comparable to Clemson, which is the 6th or 7th best job in the ACC.
Jim is a friend, so you won't get me to bash him ... I think he's great on baseball.

Doogie, he jumped around like tons of coaches do in the beginning of their careers because they're trying to move up in the coaching world. Tubby got to possibly the highest position in college bball already. I don't think he has the same "prove myself at a school and then leave for a better job" agenda anymore.

Minnesota is special ... I think my alma mater is one of the great jobs in the country, but most are not in agreement ... I also think you can win here at a high level, but outside of the cheating year, it's been a long time since someone has ... Tubby's track record, like Purnell's, is to jump around and leave a program in better shape than when he took it over ... I also would not discount the family angle and his feelings after his father passed away, and how he wasn't near any of his siblings.

Why is anybody surprised by this? Doogie is the same character that recently penned a hypothetical Q and A in which he implied Donna hates Minnesota, Tubby is really waiting for the NC State job and that he should let Royce White back on the team just so he can win an NCAA Tournament game before he bolts off for the mecca of Raleigh. Did you really think he wasn't going to try and appear smart by bringing up Clemson? It fits right in with everything else the media does in the Twin Cities.

I will agree with you on one thing. Souhan's takes on baseball are absolute genius compared to his takes on everything else. On the other hand, that's pretty faint praise in my opinion. I'm steadfast in my opinion that half the sports bloggers in this town would do a better job than Souhan, given the opportunity. I even think I could do a better job. But then, I'm an egomaniac.

NOT BURDENED BY SPORTS TALK RADIO ADDICTION

+10. Minnesota does not "suck" as a BB coaching destination, just ask Dutcher, Clem, Tubby, Kundla, Fitch, Musselman, et al. Your Gophers beat Butler, Michigan State, 2 of Final Four; tOSU, Purdue, both Sweet 16 teams, and probably would have advanced much further with Mbakwe and Nolan, THANKS to Tubby. GO GOPHERS! :clap:

Well, another ACC job just opened up as well.

http://www.wxii12.com/sports/23080340/detail.html

Gaudio is out at Wake Forest. Kind of shocking because his 61-31 record wasn't that bad.

No where am I implying that Tubby is a candidate. Just noting that 2 jobs are now open in the ACC. Been a crazy couple of weeks in the ACC. Skinner, Purnell, and Gaudio all depart. Hewitt almost did. Duke wins the NC and of course there's UN(IT)C.

One other thing: Purnell going to DePaul is about as out of left field as it gets. Clemson has a much better program, facilities, support, etc over DePaul. What a strange move. It'll take a while before DePaul is a player in the Big East. I don't see the appeal of playing off campus in the crappy Allstate arena with hardly any student support. I understand that Chicago is a hotbed for recruits but the Carolina/Georgia region isn't far behind. Purnell was able to attract some top 50 recruits to Clemson. DePaul is a much harder sell, in a conference that's just as tough to win in compared to the ACC.

Top Bottom