Oldtimer

denguegopher

Reaction score
Some of you may recall Oldtimer (Gene Earl) from Upland, CA who was a regular poster in the past. I recently received a holiday card from him. He's doing OK, but says that he "is feeling his years" which are 85 or 86. I always enjoyed Oldtimer's supportive, positive and sometimes funny posts.

Thanks for the update. I miss Oldtimer's posts. He was definitely my favorite poster for a number of years. Glad to hear he's doing ok. Hope "sweetie" (his affectionate term for his wife) is doing well too.

...and Sweetie?

Oldtimer's posts were a fun read. You could tell that Oldtimer was quite the shyster in his early years. Whether it was war stories or Gopher football, Oldtimer put flair in his passionate stories. He is a big booster of Gopher football. Too bad we don't have a Gopherhole Classics board.

I miss Wren too! His posts got longwinded, but there were several other posters that felt that they had to have a contrarian "high road" statement for each one he posted.

We have lost perpective

Without the Oldtimer's insight into games, coverage, and the way it was. Please send my best wishes to Gene and if Sweety is still around she is the better half. That and good health and maybe the Gophers can make it to Californina in 2012. Nothing but the best for the Oldtimer.

Someday I would like to meet Oldtimer and view his collection of Peach Sections. Those were classics.

CW. You can always visit Kents blog on the Strib if you need a Wren fix. Wren has a wealth of knowledge that he seldom shares over there being too busy with his Fire Maturi and Brewster campaign.

Thumbs way up for the Oldtimer who remembers a lot of really cool stories of the Gophers back when they were in their glory days. He used to bring up games and remember them in vivid detail. If he wrote a book on Gopher football, I would buy it.

Thumbs down on Wren, though. Although he was entertaining and I used to get along with him, he controlled the entire board with his constant posts. In each one, he said essentially the same things and was extremely long winded. If he didn't start a post, he would hijack the thread and turn it into his thread and he wouldn't respect any varying viewpoints. I did like his passion he had for Gopher football and at the end of the day you knew he was a Gopher fan.

I thought Loon was even worse...didn't mind seeing him get the boot at all.

Thanks for the update. I miss Oldtimer's posts. He was definitely my favorite poster for a number of years. Glad to hear he's doing ok. Hope "sweetie" (his affectionate term for his wife) is doing well too.

+1

Oldtimer was Great

Some of you may recall Oldtimer (Gene Earl) from Upland, CA who was a regular poster in the past. I recently received a holiday card from him. He's doing OK, but says that he "is feeling his years" which are 85 or 86. I always enjoyed Oldtimer's supportive, positive and sometimes funny posts.

Oldtimer truly added to the value of the GH. Loved his stories and insights as a long time Gopher fan. Pass my greetings and best wishes along to him.

I'm glad to hear Gene is doing fine. Its been awhile since I've heard from him.

I've been toying around with revamping my Gopher football history page in some ways,
and possibly integrating a "classics" board. I'll keep you posted.

Top Bottom