Ohio Post-Game Presser Notes/Quotes

Reaction score
Here are some quotes, not verbatim, from the post-game presser.

Coach Kill:
It was go to see us comeback and win the game. Told the kids in the locker room I couldn’t be more proud. How some of our young guys hung in there; proud of them. We just find a way to win and that’s all that matters at the end of the day.

We’re better; we weren’t very good a year ago [coming back to win the game]. We had a lot of questions if we could come back and win it a year ago. We certainly have done a nice job working on that. In the Big Ten there is going to be close games. We have to be able to make a few plays.

Nice to see some freshmen make good plays. Brooks had a good outing his first game.

We’re decimated right now with injuries. Good teams find a way to win. We struggled on catching punts, all our punter returners are down. Our kids will bounce back. Make no excuses heading into Big Ten play.

Kj has played awful good football. He’s playing with lots of confidence. He’s been a good leader for the younger receivers.

Gentry made a nice catch; he can do some good things.

Mitch played a good game throughout the game. Only thing I’m disappointed in, we had two opportunities to score, and we didn’t get that done. That’s our fault not Mitch’s.

Those five OL held out there through the whole game. We wouldn’t have won if they didn’t play better. OL played better. Jonah was banged up but stayed in there. He’s a tough kid.

Brooks is going to be a great player. Probably should have played him earlier.

Mitch Leidner:
On two-min offense: We’re confident offensively. You get down to the wire, every QB is looking for the opportunity to have a chance to win the game late.

Coaches did a good job playing calling. Offensive line did a great job creating a pocket. Shannon Brooks and Rodney Smith both blocked well today.

I have to never lose confidence in myself. I was never going to back down from competition. I was angry after the Kent Sate game. It was huge to bounce back after last week. We having fun out there now, playing fast.

Helps a lot to have a good run game going. Shannon did a great job, making guys miss, had a couple nice TDs. Rodney did some nice things in the passing game. Was huge when we’re trying to find our identity to have a strong running attack.

On Shannon Brooks: Took me back to the second scrimmage. He was running everyone over, juking everyone one. He’s an explosive player.

Eric Murray:
I was proud of all the young guys that stepped up. All the young guys that stepped in there, it was very important to fill the spots of the guys who went down and have confidence.

I didn’t feel any anxiety with the younger players. That was huge to get them to step in and play well.

Their WR size gave us some problems. We had to adjust our technique to deal with the size of their wide outs.

Rodney Smith:
“We’re a very confident group. It’s always a good feeling when nobody out there on the field is nervous and you can count on them to go out there and make a play. It really showed because nobody in the huddle ever got down. We got out there and made plays when it was time to make plays.”

On Mitch’s confidence this week in practice:
“He was very upbeat. He stayed positive. We never held our head down. We got to practice on Sunday and we practiced with tempo. We preached being productive this week as an offense. We went out there and executed and I believe that showed on the field today.”

On Shannon Brooks:
“We have a good connection. We hang out a lot. We were roommates before the game. It was more exciting watching him score his first touchdown than it was scoring my first touchdown. I really can’t explain why but I felt like a big brother. We put in all that work this summer and seeing him go out there and produce on the field made me feel good.”

On Laurence Maroney:
“It was great. He had a very positive vibe and feel like we, as a team, need that. He gave us some words of wisdom and I think we’ll take those words moving forward.”

Shannon Brooks
On Laurence Maroney:
“It was a great experience seeing somebody that great that came here and did great things here. Coming in here and talking to us, it’s always great to see people like that come back to the university and give us positive talks—it keeps us going.”

Thanks Travis. I like that Maroney talked to the team, good to see Brooks pick up that too.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom