Official: USC hires Eric Musselman to replace Andy Enfield

It's in the eye of the beholder, but to me what you have just described is "not much worse". If I personally can't wear shorts but don't have to wear long undies, all the same to me (assuming the weather is not impacting travel). I can cope with a hoodie or jacket.

It also appears Fayetteville's snow total in January was more than MSP.

Apologies to others for hijacking the thread.

Sure, I won't argue with what you personally feel. But most people are going to think 20 degrees on average is a huge difference. Fayetteville's average low in January is still 4 degrees warmer than MSP's average high in January.

If we had our typical October weather for the entire winter, I think any non-snow lover would sign up for that.

Sure, I won't argue with what you personally feel. But most people are going to think 20 degrees on average is a huge difference. Fayetteville's average low in January is still 4 degrees warmer than MSP's average high in January.

If we had our typical October weather for the entire winter, I think any non-snow lover would sign up for that.
Average person sure. However, I brought this whole thing up in response for Chico Gopher's post #47:

As a person who HATES winter weather (and I grew up in Minn.), it's nearly impossible to imagine a scenario that would make me willing to go back and do winter again up north. 10 million a year? Well, maybe, but only for a year, then I'm back to the warm weather.

For 10 million bucks, this year's Twin Cities winter was not much of a hinderance is all I am saying. The "average person" even if they have grown up in a climate such as Fayetteville I am sure would sign up for that in a heart beat for that kind of dough or much less. It's not like Arkansas is tropical, December - March.

On the other hand, a TC winter like 2022-23. Uffda.

As a person who HATES winter weather (and I grew up in Minn.), it's nearly impossible to imagine a scenario that would make me willing to go back and do winter again up north. 10 million a year? Well, maybe, but only for a year, then I'm back to the warm weather. No idea if that is the mindset of Musselman or his family, but is a big deal for some of us.
If a coach or a player is a crybaby about the weather...I don't want him on the Gophers. What else will he whine about? Ass-kickers focus on the job at hand.

If a coach or a player is a crybaby about the weather...I don't want him on the Gophers. What else will he whine about? Ass-kickers focus on the job at hand.
On the other hand, I'm the guy who loves to do a hard 20-25 miles in 90 minutes or so on my bicycle on a 101 degree afternoon when all my friends are calling me crazy for riding when it's that hot. While some can't understand why I could never move back to a cold weather climate, I'm wondering why some can't embrace the heat. Just saying that weather can influence where a person would choose to work and live. I choose to make a lot less money where it's warm than more money where I would have to deal with winter. I'm probably not the only person with that philosophy. There MIGHT even be some coaches and their families that feel the same way.

On the other hand, I'm the guy who loves to do a hard 20-25 miles in 90 minutes or so on my bicycle on a 101 degree afternoon when all my friends are calling me crazy for riding when it's that hot. While some can't understand why I could never move back to a cold weather climate, I'm wondering why some can't embrace the heat. Just saying that weather can influence where a person would choose to work and live. I choose to make a lot less money where it's warm than more money where I would have to deal with winter. I'm probably not the only person with that philosophy. There MIGHT even be some coaches and their families that feel the same way.
Ultimate Warrior would like that about your workout.

Yeah I've heard a lot of weather talk before, of course. I just don't see why it would be a big deal to a basketball player.

This type of hire is becoming more and more prevalent. Coach tells agent that they're going to get fired, so find them a soft-landing spot for my next 5 years, until they need to do it all over again.

47-42 SEC Record and finished 9th or worse 3 of 5 years.
Yeah maybe

He was a coach 5 years at Arkansas and had 2 elite 8s and a sweet 16

His awful season this year is closer to Johnson’s best than Johnson’s second best IMO

😂
A lot of hate for a guy that has as many elite 8 appearances at Arkansas in the last 4 years as the Minnesota program has had since the program started over 100 years ago

Hate??? From a musical theater reference?
🤣🤣🤣
Sondheim is rolling in his grave. You Wicked boy.

You and I have apparently have completely different definitions of what that word means.

He’s not my cup of tea and if/when we need a replacement, we should aim for someone who wants to be at a school for more than five years.

Yes, he has achieved significant results, but I want an ambassador for the program and the school, like PJ, who still is a winner.

To each their own kiddo.

Last edited:

Ultimate Warrior would like that about your workout.

Yeah I've heard a lot of weather talk before, of course. I just don't see why it would be a big deal to a basketball player.
Well, I have an inside job that keeps me out of the weather, but those few minutes here and there where I'm out in the cold (for me it's anything under 45 degrees) I'm miserable enough to consider if there might be someplace nicer I should move to. In the case of E.M., it might not be a case of if he can take it, it's more likely a case of keeping my family happy. If I'm making good enough money and my family is happy, as opposed to making more than I really need and my family is unhappy with all the non-economic circumstances.

Shooter chimes in:

— Don’t think Eric Musselman, who last week accepted the Southern California men’s basketball head coaching job, wouldn’t have seriously considered Minnesota if the Gophers had shown interest.

Now that USC is in the Big Ten, it will be an emotional visit for Musselman, now 59, when the Trojans play at Williams Arena, where as a youngster he occasionally partook in the legendary Harlem Globetrotter-themed pregame shows when his father, Bill, coached the Gophers.

Go Gophers!!

Shooter chimes in:

— Don’t think Eric Musselman, who last week accepted the Southern California men’s basketball head coaching job, wouldn’t have seriously considered Minnesota if the Gophers had shown interest.

Now that USC is in the Big Ten, it will be an emotional visit for Musselman, now 59, when the Trojans play at Williams Arena, where as a youngster he occasionally partook in the legendary Harlem Globetrotter-themed pregame shows when his father, Bill, coached the Gophers.

Go Gophers!!
Opportunity knocked, we couldn't be bothered to even answer the door.

If a coach or a player is a crybaby about the weather...I don't want him on the Gophers.

Well, I don't think you would have to worry about someone like that coming here unless he didn't have a better alternative.

I worked in a field where people moved around a fair amount, at least earlier in their careers, and had geographical choices. If you gave them a choice of Virginia, Arizona, Georgia, Ohio, Oregon, or Minnesota and made the compensation at each place commensurate with the cost of living, my guess is at least 7 or 8 out of 10 would not choose Minnesota as one of their two or three finalists. That's just the way it is. You can call them "crybabies" but you can't force people to relocate to a place that has little appeal for them. I've also found that southerners on the whole tend to stay in the south.

I haven’t read every comment about lil mussy going to USC in the multiple threads, but why is no one asking why (sorry if I missed it), after the success he had at Arkansas he was so anxious to leave?

Not on the hot seat. Not a massive raise. Leaked shopping his services to multiple schools.

Why?

I haven’t read every comment about lil mussy going to USC in the multiple threads, but why is no one asking why (sorry if I missed it), after the success he had at Arkansas he was so anxious to leave?

Not on the hot seat. Not a massive raise. Leaked shopping his services to multiple schools.

Why?
As I've stated before...I think he's always wanted to coach the Gophers. And still does.

Bolting from USC to here would be a nice exciting headline-grabber. You have to be bold & creative to turn this program around.

Shooter chimes in:

Go Gophers!!
Have we ever spent the amount of money on a basketball coach that Eric Musselman would have commanded? Remember Coyle fired Tracy Claeys after what was a pretty good football season because he had the opportunity to get PJ Fleck. If we had the money to pay Musselman, and he had interest in coaching here (even if only for a few years before bolting again after some adversity arose), I wouldn't put it past Coyle to pull the trigger and make it happen.

t sounds like Calipari is taking the Arkansas job.

Why?
Wondering if this also has to do with NIL in a way and the players having more power than ever. The coaches have always had the freedom to move jobs and now the players do to and can get paid. Harder to build things for coaches, might as well leave jobs even if the seat is only lukewarm and keep finding a nice payday.

Which coach has gotten fired for .500 in big ten at Minnesota?
I was speaking to outside of MN. Many coaches have been fired or left with .500 or better records.

Top Bottom