***OFFICIAL PENN STATE AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

To be fair there is precedent to play someone 30+ minutes in their first game back from an injury that caused them to miss several weeks. I wouldn’t have done it either time—FWIW. I think Battle has been a little limited all season and that likely wasn’t a helpful game for him. Not saying that’s the reason—but the precedent exists.
Precedent is meaningless. The coach evaluates each player independent of averages or precedent. He apparently felt last night the risk of playing Carrington more not worth it.

If that was a mistaken judgment, neither you or I could know.

Betts is the third freshman next year. Johnson has not recruited 17 players. He has recruited seven in two classes. Portal transfers are not recruits. They choose where they want to play from the offers they receive.

Minnesota has not been an attractive destination the past two years and will not be for the best players going to the portal this Spring.
I ahhh....wow.

I think this might be the single dumbest thing I've ever read on GH 🤣🤣

Precedent is meaningless. The coach evaluates each player independent of averages or precedent. He apparently felt last night the risk of playing Carrington more not worth it.

If that was a mistaken judgment, neither you or I could know.

The mistake was playing battle 36 minutes when he said he wouldn’t. The Carrington situation didn’t change the outcome of the game.

Also, “precedent is meaningless” is a funny sentence. Precedent by definition is something that happened previously that should be considered in future situations. If the coach doesn’t use previous situations to determine what to do—that isn’t good.

Betts is the third freshman next year. Johnson has not recruited 17 players. He has recruited seven in two classes. Portal transfers are not recruits. They choose where they want to play from the offers they receive.
This isn't 1990
Minnesota has not been an attractive destination the past two years and will not be for the best players going to the portal this Spring.
Ben was paid to change that.

Betts is on the roster this year. He's a Henley clone, and a huge project. He's far from a sure thing, and likely won't play much next year.

Yes Ben has recruited 17 players. Portal transfers are definitely recruits and it's laughable to state otherwise.

Minnesota has not been an attractive spot because we don't have a coach who makes it an attractive spot.

Betts is on the roster this year. He's a Henley clone, and a huge project. He's far from a sure thing, and likely won't play much next year.

Yes Ben has recruited 17 players. Portal transfers are definitely recruits and it's laughable to state otherwise.

Minnesota has not been an attractive spot because we don't have a coach who makes it an attractive spot.
I've only seen clips/games online of Betts, so take this with a giant grain of salt, but I don't see him much like Henley. I think Henley is a better athlete, quicker, a better ball handler. He is struggling, but I think Henley is a true wing.

I think Betts is a lot like Nolan Winter. I think his best position will be as a 4. He can shoot and has some size but I say very little ball handling in his clips. But I do agree that he'll be a project, thank god we have 37 other PFs.

I've only seen clips/games online of Betts, so take this with a giant grain of salt, but I don't see him much like Henley. I think Henley is a better athlete, quicker, a better ball handler. He is struggling, but I think Henley is a true wing.

I think Betts is a lot like Nolan Winter. I think his best position will be as a 4. He can shoot and has some size but I say very little ball handling in his clips. But I do agree that he'll be a project, thank god we have 37 other PFs.

I think that's a fair assesment of Betts. Either way he's more of what we already have, and doesn't fill the holes we desperately need to fill.

He's also far from a 'proven good player' as was stated by Dakota2.

I ahhh....wow.

I think this might be the single dumbest thing I've ever read on GH 🤣🤣
He's simply saying that recruiting high school kids is what we're referring to when we say 'recruiting'.

You guys try to lump-in roster-retention, transfer portal, Thompson & Thiam...to try to say that Ben's recruiting is bad...which is much dumber than what he said. Why didn't you call-out Wet_Blanket for his absurd lie that Penn State's 2023 recruiting class is better than Minnesota's?

He's simply saying that recruiting high school kids is what we're referring to when we say 'recruiting'.

You guys try to lump-in roster-retention, transfer portal, Thompson & Thiam...to try to say that Ben's recruiting is bad...which is much dumber than what he said. Why didn't you call-out Wet_Blanket for his absurd lie that Penn State's 2023 recruiting class is better than Minnesota's?
Recruiting is 1 thing. Coach offers. Kids pick a school. Doesn't matter if they are coming out of HS or from another college. I could care less where they get kids if they are good i want them. I'm perplexed as to why some of you are so hung up on this. You would seemingly rather take the 250th ranked hs Sr over the best kid coming out of his freshman class in the country.

As far as the class next year, per player our class is higher. Recruiting services do those weird. That said, this isn't 1975, a "class" isn't just your hs Sr anymore, it's the entire new batch of kids. So at this point I find it semi irrelevant to worry about. If we add a few stud PG and PSU adds no one of note clearly our "class " would be better. If they add 3 top 10 transfers, theirs will be, this isn't hard.

Top Bottom