***OFFICIAL NO DAK AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!**

Stan

Reaction score
Currently up 21-12, Omersa with good minutes.

GET ‘ER DONE PITINO!!!!!’

Omersa had a good outing — he’s out again and looking pretty good.
Omersa would make a great Marine. He's a grunt. He does the dirty work. He's an important person to have on this team.

Omersa would make a great Marine. He's a grunt. He does the dirty work. He's an important person to have on this team.
It feels so much better when he’s In the right spot to get after these tip ins.

I only wish the opponent was better competition and he’s doing this.

double-double bound tonight

Omersa and Hurt are both having great games and Demir seems to have remembered where the basket is.

Gophers clearly superior to North Dakota. My fault of the Gophers is only that they have had too many sloppy turnovers. This should not happen.

Gave and Jarvis had nice games it looks like. Need more like that to win some we shouldn't.

As a matter of passive resistance, I decided not to pony up for BTN+ this season so I missed the game. Checked the box score, though.

Jarvis certainly has improved since last season. Will that improved level of performance translate to tougher competition? I hope so. If nothing else, he must be gaining some confidence. He always had the athleticism and energy.

Glad to see Carr and Oturu get their numbers after a slow first half. Oturu must have been in foul trouble in the first half while Carr must have been shooting bricks.

15 points off the bench is like an offensive explosion in the Pitino era.

I see Gabe finally came alive.

Apparently, there's nothing wrong with Alihan that a little weak competition won't cure.

It was televised on BTN. I think it was a late addition.

Damn!! Need to be more observant. I wondered why they couldn't schedule this game at a time when there is no other live Big Ten sports. I guess they asked the same question.

Good game for Omersa and Gabe. Also, this might be the shortest game thread I've ever seen.

morale is low in the gopher's hoops world.

Looking forward to seeing what they can do against a very solid DePaul team on Friday!

morale is low in the gopher's hoops world.
I believe you are right, Topos. Getting to .500 might help a bit. Now they need to show that they can beat a power conference team. Having watched DePaul couple of weeks ago, I don't have high hopes for that game but I don't know anything about Clemson or OK State.

Part of the malaise may have to do with the tremendous success of the football team. That's probably sucking out all the attention.

Omersa finally looked like a legit BIG player. The team worked on taking the ball to the hoop (especially Gabe) and also working inside to the post.

Solid D and they took about 5 charges. Oturu needs to stay out of foul trouble while defending some very good BIG post players.

Lets see how the positives from this game translates to 6-0 DePaul and then Clemson

BTN was scheduled for this game from the beginning. Friday's game being on FS1 is a late addition.

Good win and a nice shooting percentage. Nice to see them going to the basket, hope they don't force it too much as Gabe turned it over two times in a row to start the game. Seemed to open up the outside shot though as they weren't really contested too badly. A win Friday will be nice, can't wait!

The Gophers won a game they were "supposed" to win.
I admit I only saw bits and pieces of the first half because I was on the phone with my Mother.
Watched most of the second half. Ball movement looked a little better tonight. Carr was not dribbling as much - or at least not dribbling aimlessly as much.
Demir did a few things well. I think that is what he is at this level - a guy who can get a couple of putback or garbage buckets.

I like Willis. Gabe found his shot a little more in the second half.

Still don't know what kind of a team this is going to be. they need to improve in a lot of areas before they start conference play. and if Oturu gets in foul trouble in the conference, the depth at C and PF is going to be an issue.

I watched the game on DVR and didn't come away with much new, either positive or negative, about this team. Daniel got two fouls within the first 5 minutes and that provided an interesting wrinkle to the game as that is certainly the nightmare scenario for this team against real opposition. BTN had a camera in the huddle in the second half and Pitino was really getting in to the guys while he read the stat sheet "They have 5 threes...NO MORE!"

Marcus Carr: Again, Marcus doesn't show the burst or the ball handling necessary to get all the way to the rim. The BTN crew calling the game mentioned how the Gophers were at the bottom of the league in free throws attempted and I think their lack of guys who can get to the rim off the bounce is a major factor in that stat. Marcus made some 3's in this game and continues to rebound well and play with a toughness from his guard spot.

Isaiah Ihnen: I try to watch Isaiah every time he's in. He's long and he runs well, but the rainbow 3 that he knocked down against Utah didn't fall tonight. I haven't seen enough of him to make any determinations, but I'd like to see him flash a little more skill.

Jarvis Omersa: Jarvis had one of his best games as a Gopher. I was most impressed with him showing the awareness to get in position to successfully take two charges. His other big highlight was literally ripping the ball out of North Dakota player's hands under the basket.

Gabe Kalscheur: Good to see Gabe shoot it well. Got a flop warning in the second half for taking an elbow to the jaw. The refs had earlier called a bizarre flop warning on the North Dakota point guard during a successful reverse lay up so they were not great in enforcing that new rule.

Sam Freeman: Sam got in for the last minute of the game and on the positive side he's bigger than I expected and on the negative side he doesn't run as well as I expected. He got one touch inside and committed an offensive foul.

Was watching Omersa during warmups. He was knocking down a few three's. Form looked good. Made a nice looking free throw. There's hope. I wanted him to attempt a three at the top of the key as he had several opportunities but he never did.

Omersa is so much better than last year. He was lost defensively and offensively. He seems to have learned a ton and his athleticism is undeniable. I know its lesser competition but he was in the right spot consistently and that will translate to conference play.

I was hoping to see more of Freeman other than the last 2 minutes. Seems like it would have been a good game for him to be in a little bit more to see what he can do. He definitely is a big body on the floor.

Omersa is so much better than last year. He was lost defensively and offensively. He seems to have learned a ton and his athleticism is undeniable. I know its lesser competition but he was in the right spot consistently and that will translate to conference play.
Omersa is gaining confidence and that's huge. It looks like he is starting to do things instinctively rather than hesitating. The offense showed better ball movement.
I liked what I saw of Carr last night. 10 points, 6 assists and no turnovers along with 5 boards. That's what we need. I'd rather he plays like that than put up 18 points on a ton of shots.
I disagree with EG on his ball handling skills, they are very good. However, I agree with EG that he has a hard time getting all the way to the rim and that appears to be because he doesn't have the hops to get up over guys at the rim.
Williams is going to be really good. I think that overall, our depth is going to be a LOT better than last year as time goes on.
I could see Omersa being a starter by Big Ten season and Demir, Williams, Ihnen and Hurt off the bench

Omersa is gaining confidence and that's huge. It looks like he is starting to do things instinctively rather than hesitating. The offense showed better ball movement.
I liked what I saw of Carr last night. 10 points, 6 assists and no turnovers along with 5 boards. That's what we need. I'd rather he plays like that than put up 18 points on a ton of shots.
I disagree with EG on his ball handling skills, they are very good. However, I agree with EG that he has a hard time getting all the way to the rim and that appears to be because he doesn't have the hops to get up over guys at the rim.
Williams is going to be really good. I think that overall, our depth is going to be a LOT better than last year as time goes on.
I could see Omersa being a starter by Big Ten season and Demir, Williams, Ihnen and Hurt off the bench

I had the same thought while watching the game as Omersa did something well. Assuming the UND game was not a one night stand for him, he has the potential to bring more than Demir. Size, boards and overall athletic ability. The next two games will show us more.

I'll second that Williams will be really good. Very athletic and long, good defender, can shoot, makes mostly good decisions.

I loved how Omersa and Willis played last night. Omersa stayed within himself and stuck to what he's good at. You could see his confidence grow throughout the game, especially after getting the alley-oop dunk from Hurt. Willis is such a smooth player and seems to always be under control. He did have a couple turnovers, but that's going to happen when you're around the ball as much as he is.

Carr needs to be a little more assertive with the ball going to the rim, but I like his ability to get inside and create open looks for everyone else. His 2 straight 3s in the second half were a big lift. Hopefully that gives him confidence moving forward.

Oturu was solid in the second half, you could tell he was visibly frustrated by missing a few close looks and with the officiating. He was getting hacked at the rim, no call, and got the 2 quick ones in the first half. He'll be fine, but Omersa continuing to develop will also be huge for Oturu.

The 2 flop calls were equally ridiculous. The point of the new rule is to discourage guys from over-selling charges. Kalscheur gets elbowed in the chin and gets the warning, and the UND guard was off-balance after a contested lay-up, not trying to draw a foul call. Quite frankly, neither of those situations are the what the flop warning/technical is intended for. Call it when a guy tries to draw a charge, barely gets touched and acts like he's being run over by a semi.

I loved how Omersa and Willis played last night. Omersa stayed within himself and stuck to what he's good at. You could see his confidence grow throughout the game, especially after getting the alley-oop dunk from Hurt. Willis is such a smooth player and seems to always be under control. He did have a couple turnovers, but that's going to happen when you're around the ball as much as he is.

Carr needs to be a little more assertive with the ball going to the rim, but I like his ability to get inside and create open looks for everyone else. His 2 straight 3s in the second half were a big lift. Hopefully that gives him confidence moving forward.

Oturu was solid in the second half, you could tell he was visibly frustrated by missing a few close looks and with the officiating. He was getting hacked at the rim, no call, and got the 2 quick ones in the first half. He'll be fine, but Omersa continuing to develop will also be huge for Oturu.

The 2 flop calls were equally ridiculous. The point of the new rule is to discourage guys from over-selling charges. Kalscheur gets elbowed in the chin and gets the warning, and the UND guard was off-balance after a contested lay-up, not trying to draw a foul call. Quite frankly, neither of those situations are the what the flop warning/technical is intended for. Call it when a guy tries to draw a charge, barely gets touched and acts like he's being run over by a semi.

Agree with these comments. If the team had an uninjured quality 4 and/or a properly sized slashing wing they'd be contenders. As it stands the lack of quality height/rebounding outside Oturu will limit them. Omersa's continued growth and confidence are very important even given his limited roles on offense.

I was hoping to see more of Freeman other than the last 2 minutes. Seems like it would have been a good game for him to be in a little bit more to see what he can do. He definitely is a big body on the floor.
He's definitely my nominee to knock our friend from Wisconsin into the 2nd row when necessary.

I watched the game on DVR and didn't come away with much new, either positive or negative, about this team. Daniel got two fouls within the first 5 minutes and that provided an interesting wrinkle to the game as that is certainly the nightmare scenario for this team against real opposition. BTN had a camera in the huddle in the second half and Pitino was really getting in to the guys while he read the stat sheet "They have 5 threes...NO MORE!"

Marcus Carr: Again, Marcus doesn't show the burst or the ball handling necessary to get all the way to the rim. The BTN crew calling the game mentioned how the Gophers were at the bottom of the league in free throws attempted and I think their lack of guys who can get to the rim off the bounce is a major factor in that stat. Marcus made some 3's in this game and continues to rebound well and play with a toughness from his guard spot.

Isaiah Ihnen: I try to watch Isaiah every time he's in. He's long and he runs well, but the rainbow 3 that he knocked down against Utah didn't fall tonight. I haven't seen enough of him to make any determinations, but I'd like to see him flash a little more skill.

Jarvis Omersa: Jarvis had one of his best games as a Gopher. I was most impressed with him showing the awareness to get in position to successfully take two charges. His other big highlight was literally ripping the ball out of North Dakota player's hands under the basket.

Gabe Kalscheur: Good to see Gabe shoot it well. Got a flop warning in the second half for taking an elbow to the jaw. The refs had earlier called a bizarre flop warning on the North Dakota point guard during a successful reverse lay up so they were not great in enforcing that new rule.

Sam Freeman: Sam got in for the last minute of the game and on the positive side he's bigger than I expected and on the negative side he doesn't run as well as I expected. He got one touch inside and committed an offensive foul.
Those looked like bogus flop calls from 217, so thanks for confirmation. It seems like they're under direction to call some in order to make it a point of emphasis, but it's like a hammer looking for something that looks like a nail.

Omersa is good when he uses his quickness to get close enough to the hoop where it's too close for him to miss. His ceiling would be sort of a poor man's Courtney James offensively, but he's not going to be a serviceable player until he develops a better feel for rebounding and improves his rebounding hands. Strangely he has good pass-catching hands but not good rebounding hands.

Top Bottom