***OFFICIAL*** Minnesota Vs. Penn State (GAME THREAD)

I can't stomach this any more before it was just a plain tough game but this last few plays have really got me angry.

The refs are bad but they have been equally bad for both teams.

No they haven't. There were a couple of bad calls against PSU early, but they've been horrible in PSU's favor ever since then, including giving them a TD they didn't deserve. We'd still be getting whipped even if they had been having a good day, though.

I don't know if they keep stats for 3rd down conversions allowed by a defense, but we have to be at the bottom on the barrel.

The only call that went the gophers way was the very first down of the game on i think Sean Lee (not a penalty)

No they haven't. There were a couple of bad calls against PSU early, but they've been horrible in PSU's favor ever since then, including giving them a TD they didn't deserve. We'd still be getting whipped even if they had been having a good day, though.

Really. So we got the calls in the 1st half and they got them in the 2nd. How isnt that both ways? The refs havent lost the game for the Gophers

Really. So we got the calls in the 1st half and they got them in the 2nd. How isnt that both ways? The refs havent lost the game for the Gophers

Read my post! I SAID that the ref's didn't cost us the game. And the refs have been horrible for us all game and they made a couple of bad calls against PSU early (the hit to the head call and a BS holding call on their center). 2 bad calls vs. PSU and 10 (or so) bad calls against us is NOT balanced.

Again, though, as I clearly said above, we would still be losing if the refs were being fair.

The O-Line pass protection has actually been decent today.

I've defended Weber for the most part, but something has to change. The O-Line pass protection can't be blamed today.

I don't know if they keep stats for 3rd down conversions allowed by a defense, but we have to be at the bottom on the barrel.
Yes they do. Coming into this game:
Code:
THIRD DOWN CONVERSION ALLOWED
 1. Penn State 		32.58%
 2. Ohio State 		35.87%
 3. Northwestern 	36.00%
 4. Iowa 		37.50%
 5. Michigan 		38.78%
 6. Indiana 		39.19%
 7. Wisconsin 		40.00%
 8. Michigan St 	40.91%
 9. Purdue 		43.16%
10. Illinois 		47.22%
[b]11. MINNESOTA 		48.39%[/b]

Think about this:

Decker makes Weber look good, yes?

Imagine how good Decker would be if he had a competent QB? (Weber is the 2nd worst QB in the BT).

Answer: He'd be up for a Heisman. You know you can't deny it. 4 catches in the last 2 weeks is BS!

Are you serious??? Are we really punting??? Wow - we're teaching the team to give up and stop trying now!!!

Are you serious??? Are we really punting??? Wow - we're teaching the team to give up and stop trying now!!!

Are you serious. 4th and 22 deep in your territory and you want them to go for it. Coaching can be questioned today but that was definitely the right move.

Are you serious. 4th and 22 deep in your territory and you want them to go for it. Coaching can be questioned today but that was definitely the right move.
Yep. Can't let your emotion get the better of you there. Punt it away and face what should be a conservative offense.

What a disappointing showing by the offense today. Penn State is not that good. How can we not be able to move the ball?

If you're playing "everyone gets a trophy" football, I'd agree. Anytime you punt with 4 minutes to play and down 3 scores, you're conceding the game. If there was 4 minutes to play, I'm down by 20 and I have 4th and goal from my own 1 yard line (yes, 99 yards from the end zone) I would go for it! Doing anything else means you've given up and backed your bags to go home.

Yep. Can't let your emotion get the better of you there. Punt it away and face what should be a conservative offense.

Sorry, but this late in the game and needing three scores, you can't willingly give up a possession, no matter how unlikely it is that you'll make it. Turning it over guarantees running half the time off the clock (or using up all of your own timeouts).

Can the refs just keep the flags in there pocket and get the game over with. How would you like to be the official evaluator for this game. What do you tell this crew?

Sorry, but this late in the game and needing three scores, you can't willingly give up a possession, no matter how unlikely it is that you'll make it. Turning it over guarantees running half the time off the clock (or using up all of your own timeouts).
If it was a reasonable distance I'd agree, but I don't see any value in giving Penn State a short field. You're playing to just keep it as close as possible at this point sadly.

When you look at the replay of that 4th & Goal play you can see the FB blocked for the RB. Weber just stood there after the hand-off. If Gray was in at QB (hey, everyone knew we were running anyway), both the FB and RB could've been blockers and Gray is plenty athletic enough to have made an impressive run/dive towards the end zone.

What a disappointing showing by the offense today. Penn State is not that good. How can we not be able to move the ball?
Penn State probably has 5-6 future NFL players on defense. We have Decker.

If it was a reasonable distance I'd agree, but I don't see any value in giving Penn State a short field. You're playing to just keep it as close as possible at this point sadly.

Well, OK, I'll give you that if your goal is no longer winning and you just want to keep the score from looking worse, then punting is the right call. We shouldn't have been ready to concede the game at that point, though.

Disappointing showing. No running game and no passing game. I haven't liked Fisch's play-calling early on but hopefully we start gelling better on offense. No reason Decker should only have 4 catches over the last 2 games. However, I don't put all of that blame on Weber. You can't blame Weber for not getting the ball to him more since that's all Weber tries to do game after game. You have to put the blame on Fisch and for defenses constantly keying in on Decker and making him disappear.

Are you kidding me. 5-6 future NFL Players? Please.

Easily. Every one of there linebackers will be playing in the NFL. There d-line has two very nice NFL prospects as well. What is so hard to understand about that?

Top Bottom