(8:43 - 2nd) Jordan Nubin run for a loss of 1 yard to the ILL 24
2nd & 11 at ILL 24
(8:43 - 2nd) Athan Kaliakmanis run for 2 yds to the ILL 22
(1:25 - 2nd) Timeout Minnesota, clock 01:25
3rd & 9 at ILL 22
(1:25 - 2nd) Jordan Nubin run for 4 yds to the ILL 18
4th & 5 at ILL 18
(1:20 - 2nd) Dragan Kesich 36 yd FG GOOD

This play at the end of the half without the savior Johnny newton on the field is terrible. You are at home and basically saying an attempted field goal from 36 is good enough.

Example 1A of turtling up unnecessarily coming back to bite in the ass. Maybe they were worried about AK turning it over and missing out on the FG opportunity. I don’t know. It’s an odd way to approach the game.

Don’t forget Sean Tyler. Easy to focus on stupid late game plays. Points given up early count, too.

agreed. This is Rossi’s second worst game of the year, second only to the complete crap he called against NW. In both cases he decided to bring no pressure on bad QBs. Football coaches are not exactly smart people.
Do you really think it’s Rossi?
PJ decides how we play.

Told ya. We can't defend the pass because we can't pass ourselves.

Yeah this team is in a way better spot than when we were with Claeys. The fanboys have made this story their deal.

I don't know about self-esteem, but I have NO FAITH in the Gopher's ability to hold a lead. How any Gopher fan could have faith in this team is far, far beyond me.
It’s more about building on the lead that’s been the problem with Fleck. Yes that was inexcusable by the defense too but the inability to score points on offense with the lead is what’s holding this program back.

It’s a largely philosophical thing.

Do you really think it’s Rossi?
PJ decides how we play.
PJ decided that on every 3rd or 4th and long all game we’d rush usually only 3, occasionally only 4, and play soft zone…. and only once brought pressure…and that one time was the one that worked the best? PJ calls those? well if so, then he needs to give up control. That kind of D is not playing to win. Again, look at Illinois’ last four plays on D. Did they sit back in prevent and give us plenty of time to,find open receivers? No. because good coaches don’t do that. And the funniest part is that Bret B isn’t even that good of a coach. But he and his staff are better than what we have at game day coaching, and that is pathetic.

It’s more about building on the lead that’s been the problem with Fleck. Yes that was inexcusable by the defense too but the inability to score points on offense with the lead is what’s holding this program back.

The entire focus changed as soon as it got ton14-14.
PJ put the clamps on and we were playing not to lose from that point on.
So sick of it.

I don't know about self-esteem, but I have NO FAITH in the Gopher's ability to hold a lead. How any Gopher fan could have faith in this team is far, far beyond me.
I was trying to be positive with my faith comment.

My self-esteem comment was about why we care😉. 👅 In cheek.

Could have been a great season. I have tickets to Wisconsin to just sell now.

Loser PJ manufactured yet another loss in a game that looked won.

Crap managing of the Northwestern collapse too.

What could have been...

I know that we needed a field goal after the Nubin pick. I think that its a psychological thing more than a philosophical issue. Play like winners Gophers!

The culture is to play not to lose. It has been, and will continue to be.

Crazy to look back at that Auburn win and where we are this point with PJ.

Really disappointing.
I would argue it’s to play to be close. The guys is the most conservative coach to ever coach football.

Even the Michigan state game was way closer than it needed to be after allowing a backup QB to march down the field at the end.

it’s all about keeping the game as close as possible, never burying the opponent, always keeping them in the game with ultra-conservative calls. That happens because PJ and company are afraid to go out and try to win. Afraid to step on the other team when they are down. Afraid to seize the day. Afraid. It’s fear of failure…and it results in failure.

I know that we needed a field goal after the Nubin pick. I think that it’s a psychological thing more than a philosophical issue. Play like winners Gophers!
I think they go hand in hand. Fleck puts the team in a situation where they have to play nearly perfect to succeed. Players play to not make a mistake is a recipe for mistakes.

OK. Lets cut through all the crap and whining.

This is on Rossi. There is absolutely no way you let their best player beat you. None.

Yet he allows #1 to run freely through our zone D for an easy catch and TD. Hey the DL did their job and put pressure on him. And their backup QB did a helluval job.

Absolutely zero effort to try to Jam and ralease #1 on the LOS and then man him up. Rather we just let him go free. Nubin looked out of position but I don't blame him.

If they threw to someone else, so be it but at least we made an effort to stop their @ 1 threat. Nope. Nada.

At least PJ looked stunning in that pale, pastel-yellow (not Gold) 😡 sweater. Very GQ! 🕺

There is a portion of our fan base(and more than few in this board) that has, let’s just say more than a football interest in PJ. This is no better than what we had before except that this group is…..physically invested in PJ . A fat guy beat us today and we need to realize that we can’t let the the future of this program be dictated by a bunch of lovestruck fanboys.

Isn't that what was called "killer instinct" in less politically sensitive times?

OK. Lets cut through all the crap and whining.

This is on Rossi. There is absolutely no way you let their best player beat you. None.

Yet he allows #1 to run freely through our zone D for an easy catch and TD. Hey the DL did their job and put pressure on him. And their backup QB did a helluval job.

Absolutely zero effort to try to Jam and ralease #1 on the LOS and then man him up. Rather we just let him go free. Nubin looked out of position but I don't blame him.

If they threw to someone else, so be it but at least we made an effort to stop their @ 1 threat. Nope. Nada.

This is true. I was at the game and couldn't believe how wide open the Illini receivers continued to be play after play. Gopher defensive backs rarely contested passes and I don't think any passes on the final drive were contested. Effing Illini QBs were 27 of 34 - the Goph defense made them look like small versions of Pat Mahomes.

Yeah this team is in a way better spot than when we were with Claeys. The fanboys have made this story their deal.
Really?? With Claeys we won the Holiday Bowl against a really good team. We'll be lucky to go to bowl game this year and if we do it'll be a minor bowl game.

What the hell has happened to this Gopher pass defense this year? They are one of the worst in the BG10 against the pass, yet the pass rush has been significantly improved this year. It seems like receivers have been running wide open uncontested all year.

There is another play that gets my attention now that no one is talking about post game. How in the hell does a defense let a 260lb running back, catch a ball in the flat and run for 60 yards? Tyler Nubin took and absolutely brutal angle here and got burned. I guess that play caught our defense off guard because they rarely ever see plays like that in practice. I assume that because we damn sure don’t do it in games.

they’ll blitz at some point and it’ll work, so then they’ll go away from it and play loose zone to make sure Illinois’feelings aren’t hurt too bad.
i posted this in the first half. How prescient. We lost because of the thought our D had that we needn’t pressure their QB. It was an obvious failure of a strategy early in the game, it continued to fail throughout the game, and defeated our ownteam on their last drive.

What gets me is how football coaches make that much money have no analytical ability to see that their strategy is a failure. I just don’t get it.

Top Bottom